Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco restaurant help please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-restaurant-help-please-448446/)

steph3495 Oct 27th, 2008 06:03 AM

San Francisco restaurant help please

My soon to be husband and I are taking our honeymoon to SF next week. We are staying at Hotel Nikko by Union Square. Does anyone have breakfast suggestions close to our hotel?

Also, we'd like to do one nice restaurant to celebrate while there. I called Gary Danko and they are all booked. Can anyone recommend someplace comparable?

As a side note, does anyone have an opinion on the night tour to alcatraz vs the regular day tour?

Thanks!

tchoiniere Oct 27th, 2008 06:15 AM

based on my research, you see more of Alcatraz during the night tour and see the skyline at sunset. I couldnt fit it in at night so did the day tour and really enjoyed it.

Michael Oct 27th, 2008 06:58 AM

Try <i>Coi</i> for an interesting meal, but pricey. The interior atmosphere is very subdued; its location is a little surprising.

abranz Oct 27th, 2008 07:49 AM

besides coi, there is also aqua, michael mina and quince in san francisco.
the ritz has a great dining room too.
if you venture into the wine country you have some more options like french laundry, cyrus, auberge de soliel and the restaurant at meadowwood resort.

kimamom Oct 27th, 2008 08:55 AM

Boulevard is very good, I love the suggestion for Cyrus (Healdsburg) as well. You can make reservations on opentable. Have fun! ***kim*** ((*))

SAB Oct 27th, 2008 09:25 AM

Dottie's True Blue Cafe is a couple of blocks west of the Nikko--people line up at this place early for breakfast.

Coi is a very good suggestion, although it may be late to get reservations. I would also suggest Spruce, but it just got an Esquire best new restaurant, so it may also be booked. Most of SF's really good restaurants book up fast, so you might just want to put your dates into Open Table and see what's available for next week.

StuDudley Oct 27th, 2008 09:28 AM

I think your best chance of getting a reservation this late would be at the Ritz Carlton. We had my birthday dinner there this year, and it was excellent. It is one of our top rated restaurants, according to the local paper - rated higher than Gary Danko or Boulevard.

Stu Dudley

lisettemac Oct 27th, 2008 12:12 PM

Had my birthday dinner at Boulevard and I think it is great. Good food and excellent service.

We also like Kokkari. It's Greek -- delicious grilled fish and roasted meats.

Another good choice (kinda' romantic) is Piperade. Spanish food -- tapas to share and good entrees. Some at Chowhound have complained of poor service, though that hasn't been our experience.

Enjoy!

Marginal Oct 27th, 2008 12:15 PM

Breakfast- How about Postrio?

And for a romantic dinner, Fleur de Lys gets lots of recommendations.

Kokkari is always noisy, I never find it romantic, neither is Boulevard.

steph3495 Oct 27th, 2008 01:14 PM

Thanks everyone, I will check out these suggestions. We ended up changing our original honeymoon a couple weeks ago, so I'm busy planning this one. Wish I had more time so I could get into these great restaurants. We are planning on spending 2 nights in Napa so I will check out those places as well.

MRSB1497 Oct 27th, 2008 01:27 PM

What about One Market? I've always had good food there, though it's not as fancy as Gary Danko...

I've also always enjoyed Scalas.

Taylor's Automatic Refresher in the Ferry Building is a fun lunch spot.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

andrew8 Oct 27th, 2008 05:15 PM

I'm not sure if you want to do this but you can eat at the bar at Gary Danko. You can call ahead of time to see if there's a wait.

I agree with Stu about the Ritz Carlton.

NeoPatrick Oct 27th, 2008 05:19 PM

We had breakfast at Postrio's twice, while staying there and thought it was just plain overpriced and very mediocre (unlike our dinners there which we loved). On the other hand, I've really loved our breakfasts at Kuleto's. And although it sure is plain, you really can't beat the food at Dottie's True Blue for breakfast.

For the special dinner, I've been so impressed with Farallon every time we've been there, although there are a few dissenters as some think the food combinations (mainly seafood) are a bit odd or off. It's practically next door to your hotel. I also love the atmosphere -- and cheese course that is truly wonderful.

Underhill Oct 27th, 2008 05:56 PM

Fleur de Lys is beautiful, very romantic, and excellent all around in terms of food, wine, and service. That would be my first choice for something special.

razzledazzle Oct 27th, 2008 07:38 PM

Congratulations steph3495! Are you staying in/near Napa town
or somewhere within the county.
If near Napa town, Boonfly Cafe is
a must for breakfast.

EXCELLent meals can also be had
at the very wonderful Elements
Restaurant &amp; Enoteca, Ubuntu (vegetarian for everyone) and
Zuzu for tapas.

If you tell us where abouts you'll
be staying if Napa county, we can give you some up-to-date suggestions
for the county.