Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Ramada Plaza Hotel Int'l - Market St. @ 8th St.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Ross

Hello everyone.

Is anyone familiar with this hotel and/or this location? What kind of area is this? Any recommendations on any restaurants in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Ross.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Miner

Yes, I am very familiar, as my company previously used this property. The lobby is beautiful marble, brass and stained glass. The rooms, however, are cramped and dowdy (at best) with tiny bathrooms. The location is OK but not terrific - not near any of the usual attractions, but at least in the City and on public transportation lines. The neighborhood used to be quite iffy, now is somewhat better but still far from chic. I don't stay there unless there is no other option, and there usually are other options. You might try quikbook.com, Expedia or Travelocity. One place we have enjoyed is the Pickwick - feel of "Old SF" rather than cookie-cutter chain hotel, but rooms are modern and location is good.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Ross

Would you at consider staying there for $84.50 a night?

Thanks,

Ross.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Samuel

Ross, I'm afraid this place is cockroach central. I wouldn't stay for $50.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Ross

Could anyone else be of any help, please?

Thanks,

Ross.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Mike

I second what miner said regarding the neighborhood. Market St is sort of like a combindation of 5th Ave and lower Broadway in Manhattan, but it really doesn't do justice to either. Don't get me wrong it's not that bad, but not the best location. The MUNI is is very accessible there. I've been to many great restaurants in SF but none near that hotel. I would think you could do better for $100/nt.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Miner

Ross-
$84.50 sounds good on the surface, but my experience has been that you are well advised to spend a few (not a lot!) extra bucks for a room in which you can feel clean and comfortable so as to not detract from your vacation experience. This category would not include the Ramada on Market.
Depending when you are going, rates can vary (SF is a big convention city) but I have good luck with quikbook.com, expedia. com, travelscape.com or travelocity.com. There are several boutique hotels around the Union Square area that are far superior to the Ramada for not much more money.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:22 PM
faina

Ross, 2 weeks ago my friend was here, in SF, staying in the Ramada. The lobby is wonderful, worth seeing. The eateries shouldn't be a problem in SF. The only draw back is the location: it IS convinient public transportation wise, but I wouldn't walk there alone after 6 pm, not without pepper spray at least. At daytime this area is safe.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:24 AM
nancy

Well I was pretty excited about staying there for under $100 until I read the previous postings. Does anyone know of anywhere else for under $125? We leave next Wednesday. We'd only be staying for one night.