Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Priceline hotel help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-priceline-hotel-help-309537/)

karebear4567 Apr 22nd, 2003 10:28 AM

San Francisco Priceline hotel help

Hi, I want to bid for a hotel in San Fran through Priceline but am trying to figure out what is the safest/best area to bid for? I like nearby transportation, shopping, restaurants. Not sure if I should pick Downtown - Union Square West <BR>Union Square East - Embarcadero <BR>South of Market/Convention Center <BR>or<BR>Fisherman’s Wharf.<BR><BR>What is your opinion of the most upscale, safe, fun area? Thank you!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Betsy Apr 22nd, 2003 10:48 AM

I'd prefer Union Sq East-Embarcadero. Upscale, fairly quiet, yet close to transportation, shopping and good restaurants. Union Sq West, S of Market, and the Wharf can be a litte seedy if aren't careful about your location. <BR><BR>Have you checked out www.biddingfortravel.com for a tutorial on how to bid on PL? It's a good site that will help you formulate your bid and will let you know the successful bids of others.

J_Correa Apr 22nd, 2003 10:50 AM

To be near transportation and shopping, I would pick Union Square East-Embarcadero. Just about every bus, lightrail line, and streetcar goes down Market street and the cable cars are close by. I would not pick Union Square West-Downtown because west of Union Square the neighborhood takes a turn for the worst. <BR><BR>Fisherman's Wharf area is close to all the attractions having to do with the wharf. There is also decent transportation in that area - the F streetcar line and several bus lines run through there. Not really close to any good shopping though, mostly cheap souvenier shops. <BR><BR>

Grasshopper Apr 22nd, 2003 01:15 PM

Another vote for Embarcadero. Great location for public transportation, Ferries, cable cars, NOrth Beach and China Town. Trolley to Fishermen's Wharf. Have a drink at the Equinox room.

Betsy Apr 22nd, 2003 03:23 PM

LOL! Is this going to be a SF post where everyone AGREES?!

J_Correa Apr 22nd, 2003 03:40 PM

Don't jinx it!

djkbooks Apr 22nd, 2003 03:55 PM

Here's another recommendation for Union Square East-Embarcadero...<BR><BR>A huge advantage is you'll probably be close to the California trolley line, which is never busy, and almost as thrilling as the other.<BR><BR>Be sure to check out restaurant Boulevard. Wonderful!

BayArea Apr 22nd, 2003 04:14 PM

ahem <BR><BR>*koff*Union Square East/Embarcadero*koff*<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Grasshopper Apr 22nd, 2003 05:01 PM

&quot;Wendy&quot; just posted that she got the Hyatt Embarcadero for $50 on priceline. What a deal. I just paid $50 for a Days Inn on the border of Nevada and Utah! No freaking comparison!

Dancingqueen Apr 22nd, 2003 06:26 PM

I can't do priceline because there are 3 of us when we travel but I can tell you that last summer we stayed at the Donatello Hotel and it was very reasonable. Huge room, microwave and fridge. It's not the most up to date in furnishings but it was clean and the staff were great.

karebear4567 Apr 23rd, 2003 07:16 AM

thanks for your help !<BR>

Wendy Apr 23rd, 2003 09:03 AM

Thanks to all of you who were answering karebears question! As grasshopper wrote my first bid at $50 was accepted for the Hyatt Embarcadero next weekend.<BR><BR>Wendy