San Francisco/Petaluma

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Teri

San Francisco/Petaluma

I'm heading to Petaluma in April with my husband on a business trip. I will have a few days free - and ideas? Also - of course - any restaurant ideas. We definately want to go to San Francisco - so any ideas in the area would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Al Pileggi

Right off the highway, at the Petaluma exit, on the left side as you go north,
There is a large restaurant, called The Cattlemen's. They serve the largest and the least expensive steaks there. They also have a great selection of other stuff. They have the greatest salads and deserts there. The place has great atmosphere and is completely unpretensious. It is not formal, but is quite noisy and if you like country music, it's the place to be. You will absolutely love the food.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 06:24 PM
gail

Yikes! Sorry Al, I really do not like Cattleman's! It is a chain that serves mediocre food in my experience. That particular site has made us wait forever when there were plenty of seats in the place.
Good news is there are wonderful places in Petaluma! If you like pizza, Old Chicago has great thick crust pizza served over a candle for heat. It also takes a while to get your food, but it is worth it!
We love the little places on the main drag(one street over actually). We especially like Buona Serra. Our hands down favorite Italian gnocchi is at the Italian Market/Deli at the end of this little street.I will get the name if you want it (blanking it out right now!)Just go in for a drink at the bar and to sing along with the accordian music for fun.It is OLD!There is a quirky place to eat called De Schmere just ouside of town too.There is a diner downtown that is good for breakfast. You will see it next to the bakery (one street up from the turning basin).Make sure to visit the AppleBox for a cup of coffee and to watch the goings on in the turning basin. There is not a lot going on but it is a good place to read the paper and enjoy the morning.
There is a great brew pub right accross the basin from the AppleBox that has tasty lunches.
You will find an outlet shopping center in Petaluma, but don't get your hopes up. It is small and I rarely find anything there I buy. It is more fun to walk in the downtown area and look in the antique stores.
If you would like to learn to dance to Greek music Papa's Taverna is the place for you.It used to be downriver aways.. reached easily by boat or car, but I heard it moved closer to downtown.
You probably know many scenes from the movie American Graffitti were shot in Petaluma. Not many chickens (or egg farms) here any more! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:43 AM
gail

Remembered the name of the great place to eat.It is Volpi's. We feel it is betther than Occidental which over the years has becomeless of th traditional Italian meal. The street Buona Serra is on Kentucky. Have a great stay.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 10:39 AM
KAM

Near to Petaluma is Santa Rosa where John Ash & Co. is located. That would be good for a splurge dinner out--make reservations well ahead though. My favorite town in the area is Healdsburg which has some antique stores and the wonderful Madrona Manor hotel---you could enjoy a dinner there as well, and Healdsburg has some fantastic bakeries. On your way back to San Francisco, why not drive down the Sonoma coast?