Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco or Gulf Beach of Florida for end of Oct. free round trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:38 AM
Jeanette

Because of a totally botched ATA mess coming back from NYC, I have a free round trip airfare in US to use. Will have to be at end of Oct. and wonder if the San Fran. weather is "bad" at that particular time for walking around and a first time visit. Maybe I should just plunk down on a Florida Gulf beach and get some sun before the Chicago winter! Would probably never stop walking if I pick S.F. so is that feasible in OCTOBER?
Am interested in lots of things there. Thanks for input.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 09:19 AM
kam

Jeanette, SF weather should be absolutely prime at that time! Plan on blue skies, less fog than summer and temperature 60-65. Many of the tourists are gone and you will really enjoy being here. The rains in this area don't usually start until late November or December. There's a lot of information on this forum about SF and the surrounding area. If you have time, plan to rent a car and drive either north along the Sonoma coast or south to Monterey/Carmel. Don't rent the car for the time that you're in the city--your feet and the Muni will get you anywhere you want to go. Another thought---hurricanes can still hang around in Florida in October although the end of the month is probably OK. We used to live in Chicago and I can reassure you that it's totally different out here in October!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 09:32 AM
kathleen

I was in San Francisco the end of October in 1999 and it rained everyday, and was blustery and cold.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:26 PM
Kari

October is the best time of year in San Francisco. The sun makes a show, warming things up and driving the fog away. The sailboats take over the bay is quite a spectacular site. There is plenty to see and do here in the City. Walking and muni are the best ways to get around in SF. If you rent a car, I would take a drive to Pacifica and Half Moon Bay just south of S.F or drive north to Sonoma. Have a great vacation whatever you decide to do.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:48 AM
Parrot Mom

We too had a free round trip and opted for S.F. great choice.. The weather in mid-October was very warm, only one day of fog..the Blue Angels were practicing over the Bay and it was perfect... So much to do...as they say..we left our hearts in S.F. too--only wish they had air conditioning....LOL

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:48 AM
Parrot Mom

We too had a free round trip and opted for S.F. great choice.. The weather in mid-October was very warm, only one day of fog..the Blue Angels were practicing over the Bay and it was perfect... So much to do...as they say..we left our hearts in S.F. too--only wish they had air conditioning....LOL

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 03:05 AM
SFSally

Having lived in Florida and being a resident of the SF Bay area, this is a no brainer. San Francisco is the obvious choice. October is normally the best month of the year with warm and clear days. Of course there can always be exceptions so there are no guarantees.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 10:19 AM
Debi

I've also been in SF in October - and it was wonderful. You can also plan on driving South - we drove to San Diego during one vacation. You have alot of options in California. Florida in October is still a bit risky with hurricanes.... Plus, to be totally logical, you can get roundtrip rates from NYC to Florida that are extremely low - that is not usually true with California, so I would use my free ticket for the more expensive trip.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 10:20 AM
Debi

OK - I missed it - you're from Chicago.... Well, forget my logical side since I don't know the prices from Chicago - but I'd still go to California....

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 06:55 PM
Jernigan

Gulf Beach has gorgeous sugar white sand...beautiful blue skies and blue water. The sunrises and sunsets are absolutely breath taking against the water. The Florida weather has started to cool by the end of October (Not like summers where the hot and humid weather smothers you) . Most of the time the days are still in the mid 80's. The fresh seafood is absolutely wonderful.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Jeanette

Thanks to all for such good considerations! You've all helped me make up my mind. I have been to Florida many times and will save a future gulf beach visit to take my grandchildren to when they are a few years older. The flight cost to SF is much higher all the time from Chicago and so I'll use that as the free one. What really changed my mind also was that yesterday here in Chicago it was super humid at the SOX game and it reminded me that it could still be like that in Florida at that time of year. Would rather be rained on.
OH, just realized that the World Series could be on then. What if my heros become the "boys of October" and I am not here!Oh well, I guess I could watch them in San Francisco quite happily. (Picturing a sports bar/ patio scene with the two of us cheering them on while all others look at us like we're nuts.) Well, it has been 41 years since the last time we even got to the show.
GO Chicago WHITE SOX! I'll read up on the S.F. coast "drives" in the other threads too. THANKS everyone!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 11:32 AM
fred small

Hey, I love the Gulf, but are you nuts? Go to SF and never look back.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 11:46 AM
kam

Jeanette, If the Giants are in town, try to get tickets to see them at the new Pac Bell Park. It's quite a pleasant way to see a ball game. Understand season tickets are sold out, but you know you can always find some or there's a special area where you can go to watch just a few innings for free. My husband grew up a White Sox fan---he too hopes each year. Oh well, enjoy you trip out here.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Jeanette

Dear Kam, This was one of my objectives to see the Giants' park. In fact, it was the trip I was going to take last May, but couldn't get tickets. That's why we ended up in NY at Yankee Stadium. My youngest son and I have gone to two different ball parks a year for about the last 6 years. I think we are almost to the half way point. Giants and Orioles are hard to get tickets WHEN we can get there. But I think now that we are going there for sure (SF) that we may try to change the dates a bit forward and see if we can get in a game. Great suggestion! We'll definitely drive North one or two days also. Sounds like a dream vacation and I'm really looking forward to it. Glad, I've saved one of the best ones for last.
Jeanette

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:09 PM
SF Ghost

Hello Jeanette, even though tickets for the Giants @ Pac Bell are usually sold out I have had great luck on EBay bidding for tickets. Try plugging in "SF Giants Tickets" and look for games scheduled during your trip. Good luck and I hope you don't out bid me.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Jeanette

Thanks again Kam and also to SF GHOST-
I'm so mad because that terrible thing called work keeps getting in the way. Probably can't move my dates forward because of when Fall Break occurs at my work place. But I WILL see that ballpark someday and will get to a Giants game- and appreciate the bidding advice. Most times I would take a chance at buying them near the park, but probably not for the very new parks, and not for SF. Would rather have a sure thing after coming from so far.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 09:22 AM
kam

Jeanette, They are offering tours ($10/person) of Pac Bell on non game days during the middle of the day. You can walk down from the Embarcadero or take Muni--no place to park. You have roam of everything except you're not allowed to walk on the grass. Call (415) 972-2000 to see if it will continue through October. If you're a true baseball fan it would be interesting for you to see, game or no. My husband likes it but says it's not like the old Comiskey in Chicago!