San Francisco- North Coast - to Korbel

Aug 18th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco- North Coast - to Korbel

Hi
Spending Thur-Mon (Labor Day weekend)in Bay area. Thinking maybe SF Thur & Fri then up the coast a short distance Sat & Sun. maybe a B&B between SF and Bodega Bay on HWY 1 (coast road). I understand there are a couple overlooking sea. This would enable me to visit Korbel Winery west of Santa Rosa and Bodega Bay or is this a one day easy drive if I would continue to stay in San Francisco. I also hear there are some nice Redwoods in Armstrong or should I just settle for Muir Woods. Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks. You all have been great with my other question about San Jose. Any questions about Orlando I can answer or will try.
Regards DIVER
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:50 AM

DIVER: Highway 1 from San Francisco to Bodega Bay is a pretty lengthy trip. After crossing he Golden Gate Bridge you are on Highway 101 until you get to Mill Valley where you would have to drive over Mt. Tamalpais to Stinson Beach to get on Highway 1. That would bring you right past Muir Woods which is worth a visit.

You could also stay on 101 until the Sir Francis Drake exit at Greenbrae and drive through Marin and Samuel Taylor Park (also scenic) until you reach Olema. Then you would go through Pt. Reyes to Tomales Bay (very scenic) and be in western Sonoma County on the Petaluma road that will take you to Highway 1 at Bodega Bay.

Another option is to go north on 101 to Petaluma and drive west to the coast from there. This is the road I take when returning home from the Bay Area and it is very scenic once you make the cutoff at the Old Redwood Highway exit just north of the town of Petaluma. This takes you right to Bodega Bay.

The last option is to drive farther north on 101 to Santa Rosa and take the River road/Guerneville exit (Highway 116). This is also a nice drive with the road lined with many redwood trees (I just did it yesterday coming home from Santa Rosa). This is the one you probably want as it takes you right by the Korbel Winery. This will also take you to Highway 1 at Jenner, a picturesque little town, just north of Bodega Bay. I would recommend going to the cost by way of the Russian River/Korbel and coming back through Petaluma.

As far as B&B's, the Inn at the Tides in Bodega Bay is supposed to be very nice.
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Diver, Sounds like a fun trip (and very doable.... the drive is pretty). But make reservations right away. It might be too late to find a place in Bodega Bay. My favorite is Bodega Bay Lodge (fireplaces and water views). Inn at the Tides is my second choice.

You will enjoy Korbel. If you have time, check out a couple of the other Russian River wineries (Davis Bynum is a fun small winery to visit). Take Westside Rd to Healdsburg and head back on Highway 101 to SF.
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Good advice from gualallisa and Grasshopper- a few additional thoughts:
To the best of my experience you will not find a {B&B on Hwy 1 between SF and Bodega bay that overlooks the ocean}.
There are inns/motels in Stinson Beach and Bolinas but not on the ocean.
You will find additional places to stay in the Pt.Reyes area-some with lagoon or Bay views (Mankas is truly special!).
Then past Tomales you might find a house to rent on Dillon Beach. The CA1 goes a bit inland at this point, until you reach Bodega Bay. I would vote for Bodega Bay Lodge as well. You might consider a look at www.wineroad.com
for more info if you take Grasshopper's idea of visiting Davis Bynum and others, Westside road is
spectacular! If you are coming up as far as Healdsburg I would choose J Winery over Korbel if you are looking for bubbly. Make those reservations!!
If you have trouble with a place to stay-try the nearly brand new Sheraton at the Petaluma Marina-it's lovely and a good location for your journey.Hope this helps!
R5

Search this Thread