Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco – new museum!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-new-museum-626608/)

FainaAgain Jun 26th, 2006 01:41 PM

San Francisco – new museum!!

An unexpected discovery was made this weekend. Surprisingly, by me. A well-kept secret of San Francisco will no longer be a secret.

We went to see the Boudin Sourdough bakery/museum in their new building in the Fishermen’s Wharf area on Jefferson street. Didn’t expect much, but were so pleasantly surprised! There was a small crowd on the sidewalk – the bakery is on the street level behind glass walls, and at least one baker interacts with the crowd! Such fun for kids! He was making alligators and turtles out of the dough.

The museum is on the 2nd floor, stairs up or elevator. Admission is $3 (12 and under free), underpriced in my opinion. A small place, but so much fun and information! And not just about this bakery, and not just about bread.

The historic chart of the city starts with the Gold Rush in 1848. Old tools – bakers’ and others’ on displays. Old pictures you can pick up and see in 3-D. Computers with questions like pick a movie, pick a sport, and at the end it tells you which bread you are. I am a light rye, whatever it means :)

Also the baking floor is below, you can see people working. And a list of edibles invented in San Francisco, let’s see how good my memory is: fortune cookie, popsicle, cioppino (what’s that?), Irish coffee, martini, mai tai, and of course sourdough bread!

At the end of this self-guided tour the bread testing is also safe-guided. Take a plate, either or all of offered 4 samples of bread, from sour to chocolate chips, add oil or mustard or peach preserve, and wash it down with lemon water. Yummy!

paula1470 Jun 26th, 2006 02:18 PM

Faina-Sounds like you're playing tourist in your home town!! Thanks for the tip. Now when I come up there I need to see the Monet exhibit and the Bread Museum. I'll never get any work done.

FainaAgain Jun 26th, 2006 02:25 PM

And also Disney exhibit in the Oakland museum ;)

I'll make a long list for you :)

razzledazzle Jun 26th, 2006 02:34 PM

Sounds yummy, Faina ! and their bread would go well with cioppino, a fish soup/stew (also yummy)
http://www.soupsong.com/rcioppin.html

R5

AZWildcat Jun 26th, 2006 02:35 PM

Faina--

Have you visited the Pez Museum in Burlingame? Right at the Caltrain stop!

GREAT teeny, tiny place--one of a kind in the world!

AZWildcat

FainaAgain Jun 26th, 2006 02:49 PM

LOL AZ yes, when I look back at the places visited... I always get into tourist traps, and this was one of those.

I think it was more a collector's place and certainly a shop. Didn't give an impression of a museum, just a regular store with some old dispensers displayed.

Maybe if I was born in USA and grew up with the memories of pez I won't be disappointed... but we had a nice stroll around and a lunch, so that day was not at all lost.

This was looooong time ago, maybe even 10 years, did they make a museum out of it now?

AZWildcat Jun 26th, 2006 03:04 PM

Hi Faina,

Nope, it's pretty much just a little hole in the wall still...just a store out front, with the museum in the back (Now called the Pez and Antique Toy Museum). What I loved about it was Gary Doss, the owner giving a personalized 15 minute tour, talking about the Pez legacy. He's the only guy in the world with every single Pez every sold. Okay, you're right, it was pretty rinky-dinky, but I still enjoyed it!

AZWildcat

Kal Jun 26th, 2006 03:14 PM

I heard they were going to open it years ago but they ran outta dough.
At yeast you got to see it before all of those tourists we tell to stay away from FW get wind of it.

saps Jun 26th, 2006 03:53 PM

Faina,
When did you fit this in??? I thought you were busy planning your trip to Vallejo?

FainaAgain Jun 27th, 2006 08:35 AM

We stopped at this museum on the way to Vallejo... but didn't continue up to the Mare Island :))

Kal: they are still collecting the dough at the door - $3 per person. Bushman and the living statues got themselves some competition here, huh?

Kal Jun 27th, 2006 08:43 AM

I hope they don't become crusty about it and it doesn't sour their outlook on tourists.