Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Looking for a Good Steakhouse. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-looking-for-a-good-steakhouse-564458/)

justshootme Oct 13th, 2005 10:07 PM

San Francisco Looking for a Good Steakhouse.

Whihc one would fodorites recommend? I will need something in the downtown area since i do not plan on renting a car. Also, what is Bob's like? Thanks for any info.

LoveItaly Oct 13th, 2005 11:08 PM

Hello justshootme, I don't usually go to steak houses but if by the downtown area you mean around Union Square in SF there is a Morton's right at Union Square. Regarding "Bob's", I have never heard of them. And I am sure there are some other steak houses downtown but Morton's is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Do you mean Bobo's on Lombard? There is Acme Chop House (think that is the exact name) by SBC Ball Park. And Harris on VanNess. Hopefully someone else can direct you to some more restaurants that specialize in steaks. Have fun in SF!

justshootme Oct 14th, 2005 08:22 PM

LoveItaly, thanks for the feedback. The steakhouse is call Bob's Steak and Chop House and is located on California St. Bob's also has locations in Dallas, Denver and Plano, TX.

germanblonde Oct 15th, 2005 08:31 PM

justshootme, do you have the exact address of Bob's in San Francisco. I had been to the Dallas location.....it was GREAT.

welch Oct 15th, 2005 09:44 PM

When you're in a great food city like San Francisco, why would you want to eat in a chain avaialable in other ciites? chowhound.com is always a great source for restaurant ideas.

Patrick Oct 16th, 2005 02:38 PM

I think the best steak I've had in SF is at the Cypress Club.

iamq Oct 16th, 2005 03:32 PM

I've always enjoyed Alfred's.
It's in the financial district on Merchant Street where the Blue Fox used to be.
-Bill

toncasmo Oct 17th, 2005 01:24 PM

i'm not sure what you mean by downtown but we had great steaks at c&l steak house and also at acme down by sbc

deborahmcginnis Oct 17th, 2005 01:34 PM

It would probably require a taxi, but Izzy's (on Steiner) has great food!

justshootme Oct 17th, 2005 07:12 PM

germanblonde, I have been having problems with Bob's website (www.bobssteakandchophouse.com). If I remember correctly, the address 500 California St.

LoveItaly Oct 17th, 2005 07:35 PM

Hi justshootme, I out curiosity went onto Google.

Yes, Bob's Steak & Chop House is indeed at 500 California St., SF. It is located inside the Omni Hotel. It is at California and Montgomerey St.

It is walkable from Union Sq. You could walk up on Stockton (east side of Union Sq., turn right on Sutter or go one more block up Stockton to Bush and turn right. Anyway, California runs west to east. Stockton runs south to north Montgomery runs south to north. I would cut over to Montgomery from Stockton, walk up Montgomery to California. You will be there.

I also hope you will have time while in SF to perhaps try one of the independently owned SF restaurants.

Have a wonderful time in SF!! Best wishes.

justshootme Oct 20th, 2005 07:52 PM

LoveItaly...Google, whay didn't I think of that? Thanks for the directions and good wishes.

LoveItaly Oct 20th, 2005 09:18 PM

jutshootme, LOL, I don't always think of going on Google either when I have a question! BTW, when you are finished with your dinner and ready to go back to your hotel just have the restaurant call you a taxi. It won't cost that much. And do let us know how you enjoyed your time in SF. Best wishes!!