Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco, Italian food, (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-italian-food-225902/)

bunny144 Jan 4th, 2007 03:42 PM

San Francisco, Italian food,

I am looking for Italian food in San Francisco, something not so famous but very good. Thanks

girlonthego Jan 4th, 2007 03:52 PM

We were in San Francisco a little over a year ago.(So, not a recent review). We loved the Mona Lisa restaurant in North Beach. It came recommended here by LoveItaly and it was very good. We actually went twice because we found the price reasonable and the food very tasty.

1JAR Jan 4th, 2007 04:37 PM

Here is teh list teh concierge gave us at the Grand Hyatt UNion Square:
Kuleto's
Fino
SCalas Bistro
Zingari
Uncle Vitos
Brindisi
Cafe Tiramisu
Puccini & Pinetti

I don't know if you would consider it Italian but the Stinking Rose sure serves alot of garlic...

bill_boy Jan 4th, 2007 04:43 PM

There are only 3 good Italian in San Francisco:
Delfina,
Incanto, and
A16.

Kerry392 Jan 4th, 2007 05:38 PM

We loved loved loved Franchino. It was a very small, authentic Italian restaurant. The food was homemade and delicious. It is on the main drag in North Beach with all of the other restaurants.

LucieV Jan 4th, 2007 06:36 PM

In addition to the North Beach advice you've already been given here, just go to North Beach and look for the holes in the walls. Or Clement Street, same advice. Avoid the "hot" trendy places. SF has great Italian food, always has had. Big Italian population, so of course!

bill_boy Jan 4th, 2007 07:20 PM

Acquarello would be the 4th best. French-infused, pricey but good.

All others, especially the tourist-favorites in the North Beach area are mediocre when compared to the top 4.

annw Jan 4th, 2007 08:19 PM

A16 -- in the Marina. Get reservations well in advance.

MelissaHI Jan 4th, 2007 09:12 PM

hmmm, I thought of Delfina too!

tinamidon Jan 5th, 2007 06:18 AM

We LOVED the Italian food we ate in North Beach and ate at Stinking Rose & Mona Lisa.

dovima Jan 5th, 2007 07:44 AM

bill_boy has got the good ones covered. To his list I would add Antica Trattoria and La Ciccia, which is a Sardinian place. None of these restaurants are your typical red sauce with everything type places. In particular, the food at Incanto is so authentic that it would seem "weird" to someone thinking strictly of sphagetti and meatballs. Speaking of meatballs, the ones served at A16 (I believe only on Mondays) will show you a whole new meatball territory. The wine lists at A16 and Incanto are superb, with unusual offerings particularly from southern Italy and Sicily. Reserve ahead at any of these places.

LucieV Jan 5th, 2007 07:56 AM

bill_boy, you have offered some good suggestions here, but if I want authentic ethnic cooking of any kind, I avoid any restaurant with the term "infused" attached to it!

cabovacation Jan 5th, 2007 09:56 AM

I agree with Bill_boy...but I also love Rose Pistola and I think the pasta at Pane e Vina is always excellent.

SAB Jan 5th, 2007 11:10 AM

Dovima--you are supposed to keep La Ciccia a secret so that we can still get in!!! I agree with billboy's recommendations if as dovima has implied you are not looking for typical Italian/American types of places. I don't agree that these are the only 3 good Italian restaurants in SF, but that is a matter of opinion. The problem with responding to such requests is we have no idea what the OP has in mind.

SAB Jan 5th, 2007 11:16 AM

BTW Bill and dovima, try Perbacco and see if you would add it to your lists.

FainaAgain Jan 5th, 2007 11:21 AM

Puccini & Pinetti excellent food, nice decor, children-friendly.

Mona Lisa: good food, garish decor.

Fino: good food, quiet but can get noisy if full.

Cafe Tiramisu: tiny overpriced portions.

I am glad to see Uncle Vito's on Jar's list as I'll have a mini-GTG with a Fodorite there.

Ti Piacera on Polk street is good, if you are in that area.

dovima Jan 5th, 2007 12:58 PM

Dear SAB,
Whoops, loose lips sink ships! However, I think the trek out to 30th and Church will daunt the casual diner.
Thanks for the pointer on Perbaco - I must try it soon.

StuDudley Jan 5th, 2007 01:01 PM

>>you are supposed to keep La Ciccia a secret so that we can still get in<<

Fortunatly, not may tourists mae it out to the Noe Valley. We're dining at La Ciccia tomorrow night.

Stu Dudley

SAB Jan 5th, 2007 01:12 PM

Stu: Say buona sera to Lorella and Massimo (if he comes out of the kitchen).

StuDudley Jan 5th, 2007 01:20 PM

It's amazing how may very nice restaurants are located in that section of Church St. now. When we first moved to the Noe Valley in '75, there were none - except for a pizza parlor or two, a cheap Chinese restaurant, and Hans Spreckman German restaurant.

Tomorrow we're starting with a "flight" of white wine at Incanto & then walking a few blocks to La Ciccia for dinner.

Stu Dudley