Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with Chicago hotel (and special restaurant) for my 40th birthday!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I just bought plane tickets on a whim and am so excited to finally see Chicago! My husband and I will be there for 4 nights in June, and my 40th birthday coincides with the Blues Fest! Very, very happy to see Mavis Staples for my bday.

However, I need a bit of help choosing a hotel. The prices are quite steep so I don't want to make a bad decision. Context: we will be attending Blues Fest venues and other shows (we are both musicians) and want to visit some museums (contemporary art) and do a bit of shopping (Sephora, Anthropologie, etc.). We are not trendy hipsters, but do prefer more modern design to overstuffed impersonal hotels.

So, here are the 5 hotels we are looking at (others that we could have chosen are already booked). Please advise on location (bars open at night or in the hotel? close to what we want to see?) and other points I may have forgotten:

Burnham : http://www.burnhamhotel.com/
The James: http://www.jameshotels.com/Chicago.aspx
Wyndham Blake: http://www.jameshotels.com/Chicago.aspx
Fairmount : http://www.jameshotels.com/Chicago.aspx
Millenium Knickerbocker : http://www.millenniumhotels.com/mill...ago/index.html

Also, I want to make a reservation for my birthday supper. Alinea is a bit over the top (since I'm already going to splurge at Toqué! in Montreal). Other suggestions?

Merci!

Johanne
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM

I'd put the Blake at the bottom of the list, it's a little more remote from most tourist sights.

Any of the others would be fine. The main shopping district is the Magnificent Mile which is Michigan Avenue from the river north to Oak Street. Just to the west is River North and to the east is Streeterville. These areas have a large concentration of restaurants, hotels, night spots and attractions.

The Knickerbocker is a classic hotel at the north end of the Mag Mile. As an older building, some rooms may be a bit smaller. The James is near the south end of the Mag Mile and has a more trendy feel. From the Knickerbocker to the Blues Fest would be about a 1.5 mile walk. There are several buses that travel down Michigan Avenue that you could also take and cabs are plentiful.

The Loop is the area south of the river and home to the large theatres and most offices. The Burnham is a restored building on State Street across from Macy's-the old Marshall Field's Store.

Just to the east of The Loop is Grant Park/Millennium Park, site of the Blues Fest and most of the museums. The Fairmont is at the north end of the park and some rooms have views of the river.

Either the Burnham or Fairmont would put you about mid-way between the shopping and activities north of the river and the Blues Fest. If the rates are similar, it depends if you want traditional elegance or a more contemporary vibe.

For transit info, maps and how to track trains and buses with a smart phone, check www.transitchicago.com. Transit passes would be a wise investment. They allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses for 24-hour periods. A 3-day pass is $14 and is available at the rail stations at both airports or most Walgreens and CVS stores.

For info on other events and restaurants, check www.chicagoreader.com or www.metromix.com. You can search for restaurants by neighborhood, price or cuisine.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help! It's very useful. I'll let DH pick between the James and the Burnham then I think...
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:15 AM

I know nothing about the James, and frankly, we almost always stay closer to the Magnificent Mile or River North than we do to the Loop, however, we were once in the Burnham and the common areas are beautiful, plus the service at the front desk, even though we were not guests there, was great -- we asked a question, and not only did they look up the answer for us, they printed the information for us!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Why do you prefer the River North area? My concern with the Loop after spending way too much time on Google Street is that everything will be closed at night since it's more of a business neighboorhood. Am I right?
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM

No, River North is full of restaurants, nightclubs and few hotels.

For a special dinner you may want to look at the following.

http://www.signatureroom.com/Home/
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

So River North is BETTER than the Loop if we want to go out at night near the hotel?

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks beautiful up there!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM

That was always my concern about the Loop too.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:23 AM

I just re-read your latest post. Sorry I misread it.

but that said, downtown area is also full of restaurants, bars, theaters, etc and they are open into late evening.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

So I just have to stop thinking and pick the one we like the most!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM

exactly

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM

As prior posts say, The Loop has plenty of nightlife. It will be more quiet than River North, but by no means dead. Restaurants stay open for the post-theatre crowd, many places have entertainment and there will be lots of people around after the Blues Fest.

I'd skip the Signature Room. Go to the lounge on the 96th Floor for a drink, then head elsewhere for dinner. The food is only so-so for the price. You can spend a comparable amount and get a much better meal other places in the city.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! We are real foodies so I'll do my homework and pick the restaurants that inspire us the most!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM

You are coming in for the Blues Fest. If are planning on going to Buddy Guys Legends (which is located in the South Loop) or ancilliary events near the Grant Park area, then the Burnham is closer. And, as City mentions above, you'd be in the middle of the Loop Theatre District, if you are taking in a show.

Also, since you apparently have Googled 'til your Googler was sore, I'm sure you realize that the Loop and River North are merely separated by the Chicago River. The Burnham is only 4 blocks south of the Chicago River.

As you know, it's not a good idea to be walking around in an unfamiliar area at night, especially if you have been imbibing (even if it's only to complete the conditions of a cover for a live music venue). I always recommend to visitors that they take cabs back to their hotels at night.

What's your budget range for dining? Are you planning on more formal attire or want only casual (as you are going to the Blues Fest)? Remember, the best places will have a dress code.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM

>>

Still? I'm surprised, because pretty much no place in California has a dress code. Even New Orleans has relaxed.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I took all of that into consideration and... let the husband decide. The James it is! We are city people and used to walking A LOT in Montreal, but I'm sure after imbibing and dancing to Mavis Staples, a cab will be more than welcome!

For my birthday supper at the beginning of our stay, I reserved a table at Blackbird which seems to be our kind of place (top-notch food, modern spot, no particular dress code), as well as a birthday brunch on our last day at Publican.

Can't. Wait.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend recently stayed at The James and raved about her experience there. Have a wonderful celebration!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

sf, the OP is attending the Blues Fest where shorts, jeans, flipflops and tennis shoes are the normal attire. I was thinking of a level of better restaurants based on the OP's title of this thread. However, even more modest restaurants than the top tier will require something more than that for dinner.

Jojoanna, so you want a restaurant of the level of Blackbird and the Publican. Please don't get me wrong - they are good to very good. But I personally wouldn't have thought of these when choosing one for a "special" birthday.

Before I get into suggestions: Blackbird is more dressy attire to business casual. Publican is casual dress, as it's name tells exactly what it is - a pub. Both, BTW, have the same management.

Are you specifically looking for new American cuisine? Would you be interested in a restaurant such as The Girl and the Goat? Or perhaps Avec, which is a sibling of Blackbird but has French cuisine? How about The Purple Pig (right on the Magnificent Mile)? I'm throwing these suggestions out there based on the above restaurants you've mentioned.

Actually, I was thinking about recommending Henri (right across the street from Millennium Park), which requires more dressy attire, but it's very close to the Hotel Burnham (if that is your choice), so running back to your hotel room to change isn't such a time-waster or hardship. The cuisine is French but with new American leaning. Small, intimate, quiet, classy decor...Is that something perhaps which might interest you?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Just a suggestion for another very nice restaurant: Perennial Virant in Lincoln Park. Casual dress. Excellent brunch as well.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 04:04 AM

I stayed at the Burnham last fall and loved it so much I'm going back. The staff is so friendly. Kimpton Group hotels are wonderful, and combined with the deco architecture of the historic Burnham building made for a special stay.

I was interested in Alinea or Girl and the Goat, but my work colleagues wouldn't have wanted to splurge. We ended up eating dinner and brunch at the Atwood Cafe in the Burnham and it was excellent for both meals- very pretty and festive atmosphere, solid creative cooking, great waitstaff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -