Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco in March---Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-in-march-help-755477/)

samschack Dec 29th, 2007 05:31 PM

San Francisco in March---Help!

OK, I posted questions a couple years ago when we were planning a week long trip to SF but problems arose and we had to put it off but now are planning on finally getting there in mid-March of '08.
We are thinking about flying to Oakland on March 7th and staying at the Fairmont for 3 nights and then renting a car and driving to Sonoma and staying at the Sonoma Fairmont Mission Inn for 2 nights before coming back on the 12th to stay in SF for the night before flying back to Tampa on the morning of the 13th.
My questions are: Are there any good seafood restaurants in the area near the Fairmont? My wife isn't much of a meat eater and we both love seafood. Also, any suggestions for a hotel to stay on the 12th (the night before we leave) that would be easy to get to OAK from? Or, should we book a hotel in Oakland for the night before the flight? The flight we are planning on taking leaves OAK at 10:20 a.m. Since it will be our last night there, we want something fairly nice----at least comparable to or better than the Fairmont.
Thanks for any help.

jtrandolph Dec 29th, 2007 08:04 PM

Since the San Francisco Fairmont is on Nob Hill, the restaurant scene is kind of limited, I think, except for hotel restaurants. But it is easy, by cable car, to get down the four blocks to the Union Square area. I would suggest the Farallon, for example, in the back, in the "pool" room. Nice decor, (as in "under the sea"), good food, including seafood.

Also in that area is Scala's, in the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, and Kuleto's in the Villa Florence. You won't have any problems finding good seafood in San Francisco.

If you really want to go to Fisherman's Wharf, which seems logical for seafood, doesn't it? you can catch another cable car at Union Square. But, then you are talking about tourist-oriented restaurants. The only one I would recommend there for seafood is Scoma. My friend who lives in San Francisco and HATES Fisherman's Wharf loves Scoma, which is good enough recommendation for me.

While you are at the Sonoma Mission Inn (I grew up there and CANNOT call it a "Fairmont") go to the town of Sonoma, two miles, and eat at some of the fabulous restaurants there...I can recommend "The General's Daughter, in the Victorian house built for General Vallejo's daughter when she married. Also Cafe La Haye and the El Dorado Kitchen (in the historic adobe El Dorado Hotel) both of which are on the Plaza. There is also The Girl and the Fig, which I have not tried, but which people seem to like. This is in the Sonoma Hotel, across Spain Street from the El Dorado. Also historic.

If you want to visit an historic winery while in Sonoma, ask for the directions to Buena Vista, which is on Old Winery Road, a mile or so from the Plaza. This is where the Hungarian Colonel Agostin Haraszthy (sp?) brought the first European wine grape cuttings to California, thus starting it all. It is a small charming stone winery. No glitz. Few people know about it.

About where to stay on the night of the 12th. My inclination would be to linger in the wine country that day as long as possible and then head for Oakland and stay in one of the airport hotels.

While you can get from San Francisco to the Oakland airport fairly easily by BART, since your flight is in the morning, I, personally would fee more comfortable just getting a shuttle from my airport hotel in Oakland.

I don't have a recommendation, but the hotels listed by AAA as "airport accommodations" are a Courtyard by Marriott, a Fairfield Inn by Marriott, the Hilton Oakland Airport, The Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, the Park Plaza Hotel. These all have shuttles and are a short distance from the airport. Of these, the highest AAA rating is for the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, with the Courtyard by Marriott coming in second.

The Holiday Inn Express will not be as good as the Fairmont, but linger in the wine country and just see it as an overnight. It does get three diamonds.

Oh, by the way, while you are at the Fairmont do not miss the Tonga Room. Do NOT. You will see why I say this after you have the experience. They serve dinner, but the food is not exceptional, so just go for drinks if you like. I understand, however, that they have a kind of interesting early buffet you might want to check out.

I hope your trip is all you want it to be, and glad you finally got to come.

dmlove Dec 29th, 2007 08:10 PM

samschack, are you planning on taking public transportation back to the airport, or will you keep your car that night?

jtrandolph Dec 29th, 2007 08:23 PM

dmlove,

All of the hotels I mentioned have shuttles to the airport. If sanschack still has his car he can probably turn it in at the airport the night before and then take a shuttle to the airport in the morning. Do you see a problem?

LoveItaly Dec 29th, 2007 08:46 PM

Hello samschack, how nice you can finally visit SF!

Regarding restaurants and your wife's fondness for seafood here is the website for all of the restaurants located in Belden Place which is also considered the "French" area of SF. You can review the information regarding all of the restaurants as well as their menus. The location is just down the hill from the Fairmont Hotel.
http://www.belden-place.com/

Scala's is always a a good restaurant to go to and here is their website. The are just one half a block up from Union Square so again just down the hill from the Fairmont.http://www.scalasbistro.com/

In the past usually Kuleto's has been a good restaurant but I do not want to recommend them now, not at least until I check them out. It is attached to the Villa Florence Hotel (again just one half block from Union Square) that was owned by the Kimpton Group. Kimpton sold the hotel and Kuleto's some months ago and the recent (about a month or so ago) reveiw of Kuleto's in the SF Chronical was quite discouraging. Poorly prepared food, not the pristine restaurant it used to be etc.

There are so many restaurants in SF it is overwhelming. Here is the SF Chronical website
http://www.sfgate.com/
where on the upper left hand side of your screen if you click on food and dining you will be able to read so many of their reviews of SF restaurants.

Enjoy planning your trip to SF..I am sure you will have a beautiful time and that you will be well fed!

dmlove Dec 29th, 2007 09:03 PM

jt, no problem at all; I agree with you about staying Oakland. I was typing my reply, and hit "post" before I saw yours. I was asking because if they want to be in SF that night, it would be convenient to stay at a hotel near a BART station and take BART to the airport in the morning.

samschack Dec 30th, 2007 08:01 AM

Gosh! Thanks so much for the replies and good information.
I think the idea of staying as long as possible in Sonoma and just staying in Oakland may make the most sense for us. I was planning on returning the car on the 12th (going home the morning of the 13th) because we had planned on getting transportation from OAK to the Fairmont and then renting a car on the 10th when we drive to Sonoma (avoiding $45/day parking fee at hotel) so the car return would be in San Francisco. I may look into returning the car to OAK and dropping it off just before the flight.
I'll check out the restaurant rec's too and the suggestion about Buena Vista Winery is an excellent one. I'll definitely add it to our list.
Thanks again.

mlgb Dec 30th, 2007 08:36 AM

For me, seafood in San Francisco always means sand dabs or petrale sole at the historic Tadich Grill in the Financial District.

LoveItaly Dec 30th, 2007 09:58 AM

I like the Tadich Grill also but some people have gotten upset with them as they don't take reservations and the waitstaff are a bit on the grumpy side. Those that are use to eating there take no notice but newcomers can get annoyed.

Here is another restaurant website smaschack. It is co-owened by a man who was the head chef at Scala's for years. Although I haven't been to his restaurant yet I feel quite comfortable recommending it as his cooking is fabulous and reports from those that have eaten there have all been quite positive.

http://www.perbaccosf.com/

dawnnoelm Dec 30th, 2007 10:03 AM

LoveItaly I will save that resturant as one that perhaps my son and his wife to be will enjoy on their honeymoon in San Fran!

dmlove Dec 30th, 2007 11:24 AM

I love Perbacco (been there multiple times, as it's around the corner from my office). I'm not a fan of Tadich's.

StuDudley Dec 30th, 2007 01:31 PM

We had a very nice meal at perbacco about 2 months ago - although we never ventured from the small places.

So far on that block of Calif. St, people have recommended Tadich (& 1 un-rec from dmlove), and Perbacco. I'm surprised that since the OP wants a seafood restaurant - nobody has mentioned Aqua on that same block.

BTW, I like Tadich for a simple lunch - Clam Chowder (the best), Creamed Spinach, and then either Rex Sole or Sand Dabs. We had a very mediocre meal at Scala's earlier this year before a performance of Jersey Boys. There were four of us - all frequent SF restaurant goers & we all wished we had dined at another place.

Best meals I've had this year in SF - Quince and Cafe Majestic.

Stu Dudley

LoveItaly Dec 30th, 2007 03:47 PM

Hello Stu, RexSole is what I have usually order at Tadich, get there early at lunch time and sit at the counter.

Dmlove, lucky you! I am envious, lol. I am so disgusted dmlove. Our newish fantastic Italian restaurant in my city has decided to change their menu and format and now brag that they are serving "Italiano Americano". Ugh.
I won't be back. I do not want the pasta or risotto piled on the same plate with the main course. I so wish I lived in SF!

dmlove Dec 30th, 2007 07:58 PM

Stu, I'm not a big Aqua fan either! I think it's way overhyped and not worth the cost (I've had better meals for the same $$$$ in SF)

easytraveler Dec 30th, 2007 09:49 PM

Agree with dmlove - register a second "not a fan of Agua's" here.

Farallon's is fun.

If you have a car, drive out to the Cliff House. Great mussels! (Bistro side has better views and is more fun).

The trouble with staying in any hotel close to the Oakland Airport is the trains. One year I was in the DT Oakland Marriott (the Courtyard is just next door) and all through the night the train came blasting through tooting loudly right next to my ear! (At least that's how it sounded!). The Holiday Inn Express is probably the farther away from the train tracks, but the closest to the airplanes landing - so bring earplugs!

Staying another night in Sonoma would not be a good idea in your case, since you would be in peak traffic trying to get from Sonoma to Oakland Airport - not good!

samschack Dec 31st, 2007 08:12 AM

ET: Yes, I think you are very correct about not staying in Sonoma and trying to get to OAK for a 10:30 am flight. When on vacation my wife is not interested in waking before 8 am (I don't blame her) so the idea of staying the last night near the airport seems to be our best option. At this point I am leaning towards staying at the Hilton since it has a full service restaurant so we could spend most of the day in Sonoma and then drive to Oakland in the late afternoon and just have dinner at the hotel. At least one poster mentioned that there weren't many dining options nearby so that would make it simple.
Again, thanks to all for the great information. We are really looking forward to the trip!

dmlove Dec 31st, 2007 09:22 AM

Actually, there is one nearby dining option - a very popular, old-fashioned Italian restaurant named Francesca's. It's quite near the airport Hilton and probably a lot better than hotel food.

StuDudley Dec 31st, 2007 09:32 AM

>>Francesca's.<<

I'll second this recommendation. I had lunch there quite often when I worked near the airport for 7 years in the late 70s & early 80s. They have several seafood selections on the menu - their Petrale Dore is excellent. I am not a hamburger fan - but Francescas is the only place I order one - delicious (been back a few times since the 80s). French Fries are forgetable, however. Make reservations - it's quite popular, and a much better option than a hotel restaurant - unless you won't have a car at this point in the trip.

Is Dewey still around???

Stu Dudley

samschack Dec 31st, 2007 07:33 PM

I did view Francesco's website and it looks intersting--pretty good wines too. We'll still have the car the night before the flight so that may well give us a nice alternative to the hotel restaurant for dinner.
Thanks

GiuliaPiraino Jan 2nd, 2008 08:42 AM

One of my favorite all time restaurants in San Francisco is on Russian Hill, not too far from Nob Hill, Ristorante Milano, they almost always have at least 5-6 fresh fish dishes. It's in a residential neighborhood so it's quaint and intimate, ask for a table upstairs. The food is to die for and the service is impecable at reasonable prices.

If you like fresh Italian sausage and are not on a diet, try the Fettucine all Ghiotta or the Tonnarelli alla Capricciosa, you will swoon, guaranteed! Also, if you like them, the Sardine Gratinate is wonderful.

http://www.milanosf.com/menu.html

FYI, you can book a table at www.opentable.com