Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco in Feruary?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-in-feruary-965401/)

ilovesoccer11 Feb 2nd, 2013 03:33 PM

San Francisco in Feruary??

Hi! My family is coming to San Fransico in like one week and I was wondering if I would find it warm or cold?! If you live there please let me know the temperature right now. Thanks so much if you could help, I really want a tan.

MmePerdu Feb 2nd, 2013 03:46 PM

Go to any of the weather websites and get forecasts for the days you'll be there.

weather.com
wunderground.com

and on and on.

cferrb Feb 2nd, 2013 04:06 PM

It will be chilly and damp. Not freezing (below 32F) but you'll want layers and gloves and hat will be nice, unless you are from North Dakota, in which case you will be very happy. You will not get a tan.

Dayenu Feb 2nd, 2013 04:16 PM

Yesterday I wore a warm sweater going to work, no jacket. Some year may be windy and rainy, this year seems dry and much warmer.

I doubt you will get a tan in the city in February.

MichelleY Feb 2nd, 2013 04:38 PM

It is winter, our rainy season. Be prepared for chilly, wet weather.

paula1470 Feb 2nd, 2013 05:16 PM

Dayenu-Can you ever get a tan in SF? My youngest, DD, now that she lives there, says she will never have a tan again unless she goes on vacation, LOL.

cjon Feb 2nd, 2013 06:14 PM

The only ones I know who sun bathe in San Francisco in February are my relatives from northern Ontario, Canada. If the sun is out, despite the temperature, they will sit out in a pair of shorts.
Today itt was 62 in Berkeley, across the bay from San Francisco. Overcast most of the day. I wore wool socks, a sweater, scarf, boots and a jacket over a light sweater. My husband wore a button down shirt and a fleece vet. This morning we hiked in the hills without coats or jackets. If the wind picks up, it will get colder but if it stays foggy, we won't have any wind. Two weeks ago, down the coast from San Francisco in Half Moon Bay, we did get sun burned on a three hour walk along the bluffs. After about 2:00, the fog along the ocean will often burn off. That's when it might get hot enough to get a tan. Good luck! February is a beautiful time to visit the Bay Area. If you are from a very cold snowy climate, you will think you are on another planet.

Dayenu Feb 2nd, 2013 06:33 PM

Paula, in Sept - Oct there are open air concerts at Yerba Buena, if you are in the sun, you can burn. I've learned to bring a long-sleeve shirt.

leslieq Feb 2nd, 2013 10:24 PM

It has been just about the driest January on record...cold but not rainy. Bring warm jackets and be prepared for possibility of rain. you might be able to get away with fleece jackets at times, but I always like to be prepared.

sf7307 Feb 3rd, 2013 01:26 PM

Depending on the day, I can be comfortable in a pea coat or a little running jacket. Friday I walked to an from work and carried my jacket most of the way. Today I rode my bike wearing just the aforesaid running jacket. You just never know. FWIW, it hasn't been damp here for quite awhile. I'm sitting at the table right now and have both the window and door open.

elnap29 Feb 3rd, 2013 09:59 PM

February is one of my favorite months in San Francisco. Definitely have many layers, including one to block the wind. And I'd always advise having a raincoat or umbrella, just in case. The last few years I've found the days a little cool with a bit of sunshine in February. When it is breezy, the chill can go right through you, so it's good to be prepared.

Tomsd Feb 4th, 2013 03:55 AM

Sure you can get a tan. Just head across the Golden Gate bridge to Marin County - and find a place where the fog doesn't reach. :)

Ackislander Feb 4th, 2013 04:16 AM

This is a stitch. What these people call chilly and rainy weather we in New England call "June."

Anecdtally, I used to go to the Bay area a lot for work in February and early March. Everything in the East Bay (Berkeley and the Claremont section of Oakland) has always been in bloom. I usually spent a long weekend before or after in San Francisco itself, and it has always been pleasant -- sometimes showery but pleasant and in the fifties or sixties. I have gotten sunburned riding the ferry to Tiburon or Sausalito. Of course it is often foggy and damp even in summer on the Pacific side of the hills in what is euphemistically called Sunset.

StuDudley Feb 4th, 2013 06:45 AM

>> If you live there please let me know the temperature right now.<<

Gloomy - the 49ers lost.

Stu Dudley

november_moon Feb 4th, 2013 11:36 AM

"This is a stitch. What these people call chilly and rainy weather we in New England call "June.""

One of the reasons we all live here and not in New England ;)

tenthumbs Feb 4th, 2013 01:18 PM

Just because SF is in California doesn't mean it's warm and sunny........... :)