Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco hotels: Prescott Hotel vs. Grand Hyatt vs. Westin St. Francis

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Dee

My husband and I will spend a week in San Francisco in June. Can't decide among the above hotels. Would like feedback on the quality of rooms, dining, service, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Patrick

The Prescott has been sort of beaten to death on this site before, but I still say if you like a smaller, friendlier, atmospheric hotel stay at the Prescott, but definitely spring for the club level. Their continental breakfast and complimentary cocktail hour as well as the private check-in make it very worthwhile. The rooms are small unless you opt for a 2 room suite, but they have more character than the Hyatt --and I assume (but can't speak from personal experience) the Westin.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 09:51 PM
Daniel

The Prescott is lovely and small/expensive, but the St. Francis is pure SF History. The Grand Hyatt is about as sterile as they come. I stayed there and could have been in a motel on a highway excepting the view from the restaurant on top. Not worth the price at ALL.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Shelley King

I stayed at the Prescott about 5 years ago. I loved it. They have THE BEST food. Their restaurant is OWNED BY WOLFGANG PUCK. Very European. Rooms are small though but very nice!!!

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Dee

Thanks for the postings. I keep hearing the rooms at the Prescott are small. How small is small? We have a "Queen room" reservation on the club floor. My husband is well over 6 ft tall; would he feel claustrophobic in such room?

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 09:26 AM
John

Dee:
I didn't think the club level rooms were all that small. (They're actually in a separate building, connected by an inside ramp/hallway to te Prescott--something you can only tell if you're on the lookout for such structural tricks). I really enjoyed my stay at the Precott and never felt claustrophic.

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:34 AM
Dee

Thanks John for your post; it was reassuring. We've read very nice things about this hotel and the only negative has been the size of the rooms. We don't need a palace, but we don't want to be cramped either. Thanks for taking the time to reply.