Reload this Page >

San Francisco hotels, airport or Fishermans Wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 10:43 AM
FIB

We will be in San Francisco in late Sept. with a tour that is geared to cooking and dining at specific areas. We will visit Gilroy, Monterey, Carmel and Napa Valley. We would like to stay a few days on our own after the tour ends. Should we book rooms at the airport or at Fishermans Wharf or donwtown? We plan to do some city tours and would like to do some walking also. What would be the cost of a taxi to the airport if we stayed downtown or at Fishermans Wharf? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 10:52 AM
Vernon

Not much going on near the airport. Have stayed at Fisherman's Wharf (Ramada) - easy walking, close to cable cars, restaurants, fun stuff. Downtown would be nice too - shopping and easy access to cable cars. Vacationed at Monterey and Carmel in February - terrific places!

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 06:52 PM
Carey

I'd say neither one. Instead, I'd look for something near the Union Square area. You can catch the cable cars there and it's close to Chinatown. There are several hotels in the area, depending on your price range. I stayed at Brady Acres, 3 blocks from Union Square. It is affordable and clean, though not luxurious (no elevator). The staff there is excellent and helped me with all arrangements for tours, sold Muni passports, etc. These passports are for all public transportation and well worth it! The Fodors miniguide you can get from this site provides excellent informationon other hotels in the area. Also, from the airport it is cheaper to take a shared limo (about $10 a person I think) than a cab. When you get your luggage at the airport, there is a white phone in the area that is for limo service. Your hotel can arrange the return trip to the airport. Email me if you want any more info.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 06:15 PM
Judy

Hi! Got room for one more??? Actually, we go to S.F. several times a year and love it!! The airport district is NOT what you want! The above person mentioning Union Square has a good idea (The Cornell and Regis St. Francis will give you a real SF feeling. However, I prefer anything closer to the wharf. The major names are very nice, safe and clean. You can catch the "BEST" cable car line right across from Ghiradelli square - its the Powell-Hyde line. It has a great ride and for $2 will take you right to Union Square which is a great place to shop. While you wait for your cable car there's a wonderful view of the Golden Gate Bridge. This line also has Chinatown stops and Lombard Street. In the evening it's wonderful to walk along the water by the piers, get an ice cream and peek in the shops. Make sure you visit Boudin Bakery at Fisherman's Wharf in the morning for cappucinos (sp?) and yummy fresh baked goods. My family and I took in a Giants game two weeks ago and stayed by the airport. We will never do it again. We left our heart downtown....

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 07:24 AM
kathy kelley

hi judy- well you sound like you know your stuff about san fran. We will be honeymooning in mid september and will be flying into san francisco and then driving down the coast to san diego. Obviously after a wedding we are looking to be price conscious, but want everything to be clean and comfortable too. We want to see as much as possible , the best of the best, please help!

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 07:24 AM
kathy kelley

hi judy- well you sound like you know your stuff about san fran. We will be honeymooning in mid september and will be flying into san francisco and then driving down the coast to san diego. Obviously after a wedding we are looking to be price conscious, but want everything to be clean and comfortable too. We want to see as much as possible , the best of the best, please help!

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 02:57 PM
kam

PLEASE don't stay at the airport!!! SFO is about 15 miles from the city, and although there are big hotel chains there, they are usually only occupied by businessmen who don't want to experience SF> My first choice in SF (although since we live nearby don't get to stay often) is the North Beach area--the little Italy of SF. If you need budget accomodations, try the beautifully restored San Remo Hotel , Mason at Chustnut, but you will not have TVs, telephones or private bath. WHat you will have is a beautiful Victorian hotel formerly the home of the founder of Bank of America. Another lovely moderately priced hotel is the Tuscan Inn at North Point and Mason. Also The Washington Square Inn and Millefiori Inn are in North Beach. It's a great walking place, full of little Italian and other ethnic restaurants, close to Chinatown and the Wharf. If you must stay at Union Square, the St. Francis is great and also the newly refurbished Sir Francis Drake, both on Powell Street. Keep in mind that the shopping at Union Square is the same as you would find if you are from another major city---ie, Macy's, Saks etc. Anyway, my best advice is certainly don't stay at SFO!! Enjoy.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 05:06 PM
Joanne

We stayed at the Sheehan hotel 2 blocks from Union Square. Great location-very clean, run by some Irishmen. We were at an Elderhostel but I don't think it would be too pricey

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 07:47 AM
Janet

I just stayed in San Fran for 5 days in the middle of May. Trying to find a good hotel from 3,000 miles away is a real challenage ... I stayed at the Handlery Union Square and was extremely pleased with it. The rooms were nice (not huge, but more than adequate) and the staff was excellent. Alan was the best concigere (can't spell that right, but you get the idea). It's 1/2 block off Union Square on Geary St. American Express Corporate rate was $115/night (which is actually very reasonable for San Fran). You absolutely must take a Bay cruise, and I would also highly recommend "Beach Blanket Babalon" if you enjoy the theater (you need to get tickets in advance, but can do it via phone). Enjoy your visit - it's a great city!!!

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 11:30 AM
PNInnes

Staying at the Hotel Juliana downtown was the most wonderful part of our trip. It's a European type pension hotel that is central and absolutely charming.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Jon Samborski

I stayed in downtown SF 2 in summer 96 with my family ago at a great small hotel on Union Square -- The Handerley. Reasonably priced (about $125 then) safe, and well situated for site seeing, cable cars, shopping. Arounf the corner from the swanky St Francis Westin. SF has a great subway system between the airport and downtown. Wouldn't bother with cabs other than to get to the BART station

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 11:51 AM
schultz

I have to agree with kam...the North Beach neighborhood is a great area to stay in. I visited SF last summer for the first time, and stayed at the San Remo Hotel. It is a quaint, "European-style" hotel just a few blocks from everything. Easy walk to wharf, cable cars, etc. San Remo has shared restrooms, but don't let that discourage you. They are immaculately clean, and I never had to wait to use them...lots of wood trim, black and white tile, etc. I highly recommend the San Remo, and would love to stay there again. Lots of charm in a great location. And a great price too!!!

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 12:58 PM
Samantha

Hi! I was just in San Francisco yesterday (back in Canada today). Definitely stay away from airport hotels. Go downtown and stay by Union Square (Westin St. Francis, Sir Francis Drake are beautiful hotels). You would be in the middle of all of the shopping and close to great restaurants. The cable-car route starts in that area and links to Fishermans' Warf for $2.00 US, city buses are $1. If you like cooking, you'll love my favorite cooking store, "Sur la Table" - 77 Maiden Lane, 2 blocks from Union Square.