Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco: hotel recommendations needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-hotel-recommendations-needed-356558/)

mireaux7 May 7th, 2008 01:10 PM

San Francisco: hotel recommendations needed

I am contemplating taking a leasure trip to San Francisco this autumn. I dont have exact dates set, and likewise, I am also largely flexible with the dates when I visit.

I have taken some time to briefly research hotel rates in the area. I have seen that more of the expensive lodging is concentrated in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

I am concerned with: price, decency/cleanliness, & tranquility.

I would like to find a great deal on a decent, if not nice, hotel that is somewhat within walking distance to most major attractions in the area.

I would like to stay under $100.00 a night, but I dont want a place too cheap where I would encounter such things as poor customer service, facility delapitation, is near other establishments that generate excessive noise: bars/clubs,etc. excessive maintenance wear in the room or other,(poor plumbing, stains in carpet, etc)

any suggestions?

Marginal May 7th, 2008 01:13 PM

You need to google San Francisco hostels. For less than $100 a night, you will get a room in a hostel. I think your list of demands is rather preposterous for your price range.

Kal May 7th, 2008 01:20 PM

If you get some exact dates and are going for sure try Priceline.

A lot of good 3* and sometimes 4* hotels under $100 and in good areas.

dmlove May 7th, 2008 01:41 PM

I think Priceline is your only option for the amount you want to spend. I did a random-date search (used October 17-19) on Hotels.com and for under $100, there is nothing more than a few 2* hotels. If you raise the price to $120, there are a couple of other choices, one of which is in an excellent location (just south of Market St., in the Union Square "area -- near shopping, MOMO, the Metreon, walking distance to Chinatown and the Embarcadero, etc.). That would be the Mosser -- I have walked by it, but know nothing about it. Another poster (was it DebitNM?) stayed there this spring and was pretty pleased with it.

FainaAgain May 7th, 2008 01:45 PM

Priceline for Union Square East and Embarcadero.

Are you looking for 100 US Dollars a night, or maybe 100 British Pounds which is more realistic with your demands?

Practical advice: do not open again that website that puts more expensive lodging in Fisherman's area. Unless you were looking at a map after 10 cocktails.

I wonder what expensive lodging is in Fisherman's area that is concentrated :) Are you sure you didn't look at Nob Hill or Embarcadero?

ElendilPickle May 7th, 2008 04:11 PM

If you can't get a room via Priceline, take a look at this place and its sister properties:
http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/

Lee Ann

trippinkpj May 7th, 2008 04:29 PM

It all depends on the dates. We used to get $99.- including parking in the 2002 - 2005 timeframe at the Piclwick, then they remodeled and prices went up. Priceline is a good idea. I've also stayed at the Mayflower, old but clean and large rooms. A good 4 blocks from Union Square. Agree with the suggestion of Cow Hollow and it's sister properties (I stayed at the Coventry Motor Inn).

mireaux7 May 8th, 2008 04:00 AM

just to clarify, im looking for a room that provides just the basics.

im hardly the type that dwells for extended periods of time in my room when on vacation..i like to go out and see the sights.

that being said, i need just a clean quiet room with a bed & a shower.

i can do without: cable tv, wi-fi, contential breakfast, truffles, jacuzzi or any other frivulous amenity

NeoPatrick May 8th, 2008 04:33 AM

Faina, don't forget that to this poster over $100 is apparently considered expensive, so yes, most of the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area ARE "expensive" by those standards.

mireaux, I think the real issue is that most hotels or motels that offer the amenities you mention put them in the $400 a night and above category, rather than the $250 or $300 a night category. Even the very serviceable but basic Cow Hollow Motor Inn, Columbus Motor Inn, etc. are now something like $149 a night plus taxes. I agree that Priceline is probably your best bet.

ncounty May 8th, 2008 07:38 AM

I had the same responses last fall when I posted for a hotel in NY for $200; and it was true....even the basic places started in $300s. Luckily San Francisco is a little bit less. I just booked the Hotel Nikko for $150/night. I used to always stay at the Sir Francis Drake and got rates of $159-$179/night. There are some budget hotels you can probably get for under $100 but I think it is worth spending a bit more and getting a lot more. I've stayed in those places and they are a bit deficient.

Ceidleh May 8th, 2008 10:15 AM

I was able to recently get a room through Travelocity for Hotel Carlton in San Francsico at a rate of $105 USD/night. It's a small boutique hotel (part of JDV chain - and if you go to website it says they have rates starting at $89/night weeknights, though I'm sure rate is dependent on time of year). Hotel Carlton is located in Lower Nob Hill area. Easy walking distance to lots of sights, bus stop right at corner. Trolley stop a few blocks away.

I found it clean, quiet and the entire staff was exceptionally helpful and nice.

Hotel Carlton has a free wine reception every evening in the lobby. Have a couple glasses of wine and maybe you'll feel better about spending just slightly more than $100/night for a nice experience.

Kal May 8th, 2008 10:34 AM

If I can get a nice hotel room for the same price as one without all the bells and whistles guess which one I'll take.

I'm a bad man because I want it all. Nice hotel AND taking in the sights.

enzian May 8th, 2008 10:35 AM

Like Ceidleh, we (actually my sister) found a $99 room on Travelzoo. It was at the Galleria Park, a very nice little boutique hotel 2 blocks from the Montgomery St. BART station. I booked my room on the hotel website and paid $139, still not bad. You have to add the taxes, so the total is over $100, but not much.

And like the Carlton, they have a free wine reception in the evening.

Kal May 8th, 2008 10:50 AM

We are big fans of the GP.
We stayed there at least 6 times some even before the recent renovation.
Priceline "B" hotel in USE/Embarc.

Great location.

maria_so May 8th, 2008 03:52 PM

bookmarking. there are some really good suggestions here of hotels not too expensive although I like the amenities, I'm afraid, and willing to pay for it.

Conlet May 8th, 2008 04:49 PM

Just back from San Francisco where we stayed 5 nights at the Cow Hollow Suites. Two couples - we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite (kitchen and living room) for $265/night. Lots of small restaurants, drugstores, etc in walking distance, free parking, and extremely clean. Not in walking distance of most of the sights, but we had a car. We did not find driving a problem (we are used to Boston driving) and found plenty of parking lots and even some street parking. We enjoyed this neighborhood and would definitely stay there again.

NeoPatrick May 8th, 2008 05:03 PM

Conlet, I've stayed at Cow Hollow Suites a number of times and it is indeed a wonderful place. No offense intended, but did you post this on the wrong thread? What does it have to do with an under $100 a night place?

emsmom May 8th, 2008 06:10 PM

Look at Hotel Astoria. It is near Union Square and Chinatown. This is a nice central area. I just booked it for a friend for $69 per night including breakfast.

Conlet May 9th, 2008 05:20 PM

Oops!

trippinkpj May 9th, 2008 05:57 PM

I'm seeing decent rates at Coventry Motor Inn. Depends on the dates: http://www.coventrymotorinn.com/