Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-help-894323/)

fabmad15 Jun 9th, 2011 03:34 PM

San Francisco Help!

My husband and I are going to San Fran for 6 full days in July for our 1st Anniversary. We are very active and love the outdoors. We want to explore San Francisco (thinking about staying at the Argonaut on Fisherman's Wharf) for a few days but also want to go to Napa or Sonoma for a day and the Muir Woods. In San Fran we want to go to some baseball games, bike, Alcatraz and just explore! We were thinking of doing 3 nights San Fran and 2 in Tiburon (Water's Edge) but not sure Tiburon is a good base for Muir Woods/Napa or Sonoma. Are there any wine tours that will pick you up in San Fran or Tiburon and take you for the day or is it best to druve there and stay for a night. We are trying not to stay in too many hotels but there's a lot we want to do. Any advice or ideas you have to help in our planning would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Parrothead Jun 9th, 2011 05:01 PM

Tiburon is a fine base for Muir Woods and wine country but the city of Tiburon itself will likely not take a majority of your time as it is a small town with a small waterfront and downtown area. That said, devoting a day to Muir Woods could also include a visit to Mt. Tam, Marin headlands, Fort Baker, Sausalito and even a walk over the GG Bridge. From Tiburon you could drive to Sonoma in an hour or just a little longer to drive to Napa Valley.

For strictly great food options, you can't beat staying in Napa Valley rather than Tiburon. You could easily drive straight over to Napa after leaving SF and then visiting Muir Woods either as a day trip from Napa or as a sidetrip on your way back to the airport if time allows.

In wine country there are lots of limo services that take people all over the valley on hourly or half/full day trips but I am not sure of a service doing it R/T from San Francisco.

elnap29 Jun 9th, 2011 05:11 PM

You have all kinds of options.
You can take the ferry from SF to Vallejo and arrange to be picked up at the dock by Platypus Tours, a company that does small-group tours in Napa Valley. www.platypustours.com
The Napa Valley is only about an hour from SF. I don't know how long it takes to drive to Muir Woods,but probably far less than an hour, so you don't need to change hotel locations unless you want to experience something different.

joto Jun 9th, 2011 05:44 PM

We stayed in SF for a few days recently. Terrific Tours do a great small sized all day tour (max 11) to the Sonoma area. We were very happy with their service. They do a pickup just round the corner from the Argonaut, but you get dropped off where you need to get the ferry back to SF, but that is all arranged. I did see tours to Muir Woods advertised somewhere, but we didn't really have time to go there. That's something for next time.

janisj Jun 9th, 2011 07:04 PM

just a quick note -- be sure to pre-book your Giants game(s) They basically sell out. <u>Especially</u> if you are there the week of the 17th. Dodgers are in town then.

sf7307 Jun 9th, 2011 07:22 PM

That said, if you're willing, you can almost always get tickets on the street.

SAB Jun 10th, 2011 04:31 PM

As janis has stated the Giants do sell out almost all games, but tix are always available on Stubhub.

yellowrose477 Jun 13th, 2011 09:54 AM

We are flying in to S.F. on Friday, 6/17 and are going to see the Twins/Giants and since we are from the Minneapolis area, should be fun! Thanks fabmad a lot of your ideas are what we are thinking as well. We have a Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf for our base and are renting a car. We thought that we would just drive to Muir Woods and the Sonoma area and keep our base in S.F. It didn't look like it would take too long to drive to those areas. Hope you have a great trip!

traveldawg Jun 19th, 2011 04:41 PM

I live in downtown SF. I see a Napa Valley Wine bus picking up people almost daily in front of the Ferry Building. You many want to check that out.

Staying in Tiburon. I do not think this is really necessary. It is pretty convenient to get there from SF. I would either spend all my time in SF or if yoy want to leave get a second place in Healdsburg in the wine country.

Go online an look for discounts on the Alcatraz tours, etc. There are good coupons out there.

Check out the Slanted Door restaurant in the Ferry Building. It is the hot spot and always booked. You should book now and try it. All the ferries leave from the back of the Slanted Door.

sf7307 Jun 19th, 2011 05:49 PM

Agree with everything traveldawg says, except, there is only one way to get to Alcatraz, and that's the boat service that contracts with the National Park Service. I don't think there are discounts for that, only for private companies that offer "tours", which you do not need.