Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco-Grosvenor Suites, Nob Hill or Hotel del Sol suite, Marina district? best location?

San Francisco-Grosvenor Suites, Nob Hill or Hotel del Sol suite, Marina district? best location?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Jane

Finally shortlisted the Hotel del Sol and Grosvenor one bedroomed suites for a four night stay in April for myself, my husband and our two children. We are first time visitors to San Francisco and I am wondering which of these hotels offers the better quality accommodation for the rate charged and is located in the best neighbourhood and location for quick and easy access to other parts of the city by public transport. The best rates I can find are $104 for the Grosvenor and $135 for the Hotel del Sol. Where would you stay?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Honest opinion

Neither one. Not because the hotels are undesirable, but SF has a significant problem with urban blight, homelessness, crime, etc. As a frequent business traveler to SF, I have seen it getting worse in recent years, not better. Being that you have never been to SF before, you may want to consider visiting another part of California instead. LA and San Diego are also great cities with lots more to offer than SF.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:53 PM
xyz

I lived in San Francisco for 7 years, and I would choose the Marina. It's a little closer to Fisherman's Wharf and is much flatter than Nob Hill, which may be a consideration if your children are very young. SF is a very compact city and public transportation is good from either location.

This is off topic, but since you are a first-time visitor, you may not be aware that SF weather is very cool and foggy. The temperature rarely gets above the upper 60's, even in the summer. In April, it will be cooler than that, and may rain as well, so please be sure to bring a jacket or heavy sweater. You may already be aware of this, but many first-time visitors are unprepared for the weather, so I always try to forewarn people whenever possible.

SF is a vibrant cosmopolitan city and I hope you will enjoy visiting it as much I enjoyed living there.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Jane

Thank you both for your replies. Our return flights to San Francisco are booked and paid for so 'skipping' the city in favour of southern California isn't an option. However we are flying on to LA and San Diego after SF - so hopefully we'll thaw out when we get there.
Thank you 'xyz' for recommending the Marina district over Nob Hill. I realise the latter is hilly and therefore affords great views I guess -particularly as the Grosvenor Suites is a high rise block. However, the Marina district may be the 'wiser' option...
...anyone else agree?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Julia

I agree with the poster who favors the Marina district. Less hilly, two good shopping/eating streets nearby (Union and Chestnut), near Ghirardelli Square the waterfront etc. Should be a quick trip to get downtown and the Union Square area - though Grosvenor is geographically closer, with all the hills and children, might actually be more of a hassle. Also, had a friend at the Grosvenor once (about 10 years ago admittedly) - an odd place with lots of long term visitors/almost residents.

One last thing: Despite what the person who attempted to steer you away from the city said, it is a beautiful place with a lot to offer. I think you and your family will have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Susan

I've seen the suites at the Hotel del Sol and they are colorful and clean. There is a heated pool, but as others have stated it's not really warm enough in SF in April to want to use it. You never know with kids, though! I believe they have a family suite with bunk beds if that would be preferable for the kids. The location is walking distance to many restaurants and shops on Union Street, also walking distance to the Marina Green which is fun for flying kites. It's a long walk to Fisherman's Wharf, but there is good public transport in SF to get you wherever you need to go. Also, cabs aren't too outrageous because the city really isn't that big. I think the Marina district is an ideal place for a family to stay when visiting SF.

Another note, you don't really need a car while visiting SF, but the Hotel del Sol does have free parking. If you have the time, you might enjoy a drive across the Golden Gate and a visit to Muir Woods to see the ancient redwoods.