Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Get Together (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-get-together-357665/)

Marilyn Sep 12th, 2003 01:10 PM

San Francisco Get Together

We will be gathering for a potluck at a private home in the Marina District of San Francisco on Saturday evening, October 18, starting at 6:30 pm. If you would like to join us, please contact me at the hotmail address above. Lurkers, spouses, and significant others are welcome!

FainaAgain Sep 12th, 2003 01:32 PM

Name tags required to make the gathering look like a convention?

Marilyn Sep 12th, 2003 01:34 PM

Shhhh, Faina, I didn't want anyone to know about the name tags -- I was afraid they wouldn't turn up!

FainaAgain Sep 12th, 2003 02:13 PM

LOL, once in a lifetime I came up with what I thought would be a fresh idea - and got hushed immediately!

Marilyn Sep 12th, 2003 02:30 PM

But it was a conspiratorial hush, not a disapproving one. :-)

Kal Sep 12th, 2003 02:32 PM

Maybe the name tags can say "Hi. My name is......and I'd rather be here than in San Jose"?
Just a thought! O:)

FainaAgain Sep 12th, 2003 02:44 PM

Nope, it should have a word "Elderhostel" on it =P~

Grasshopper Sep 12th, 2003 02:49 PM

Kal, You are so funny. Or you could have a long list of names, with a line through them until you get to the one Fodors hasn't deleted.

Marilyn Sep 12th, 2003 02:52 PM

Oh lordy, Kal, please don't get anyone STARTED on this thread or it will get deleted and I'll end up having to post it again.

Kal Sep 12th, 2003 03:06 PM

Ooops. Sorry. :-]

Fine me an extra bottle of wine for the GTG. :">

razzledazzle Sep 12th, 2003 05:33 PM

But FainaAgaiin and Marilyn what name would be on the tag?
I'd vote for screen name-I think I'd go mad (in my case madder) O-) trying to remember "real" names. I mean what if Kal is really a Fred ? =-O
I just don't get the same "visual" in my imagination.
Of course, Marilyn already knows some of both, (and look how nutty she got just planning the whole thing)!
LOL :))
Maybe we could wear hats-like Beach Blanket Babylon and people could guess our identity :-?
Or, not...
R5

Marilyn Sep 12th, 2003 06:32 PM

It wasn't the names that drove me nuts, it was the dates (herding cats, someone said). razzle -- I presume I'll be hearing from you with a formal rsvp?

I think we should have our fodors name on our tag, with our real first name underneath. In case you haven't noticed, some of the fodors names are downright unpronounceable!

Betsy Sep 12th, 2003 08:25 PM

I'm with you, Marilyn!

Marilyn Sep 13th, 2003 10:07 AM

Any other fun ideas are appreciated! Meanwhile...topping...sorry, but I want to keep this in sight for a few weeks...

Marilyn Sep 14th, 2003 10:52 AM

ta-ta-ta-topping

Marilyn Sep 15th, 2003 11:07 AM

topping

PCHsmiles Sep 15th, 2003 11:15 AM

Marilyn, okay, I did drop the "i" but may I attend anyway? I rpomise not to flirt with anyone. I'll be in LA that weekend - perhaps a RT up wouldn't strain the plan (what plans). Will there be a belly dancer? Cash bar? Party hats? Can I bring a covered dish? Have you set aside a block of motel rooms for those coming in?

Can we play that game where you have a name on your back, and you try to guess it using people's hints? It is the ice breaker of all times.

Marilyn Sep 15th, 2003 04:10 PM

PCH, I'm afraid you should be planning this party -- it sounds much more exciting. There will be food and drink and name tags and who knows what else. I think people coming from out of town should be exempt from bringing food (but not drink).

So...if you do want to attend, you have to email me at my hotmail address with a real RSVP (a first name, an email address, and how many in your party please) and I will then send you the address and directions of the GTG. Because it is a private home, the address will not be posted on this public forum.

That goes for the rest of you SF-area folks! I haven't gotten RSVP's from some of you, and I haven't heard from others who have expressed an interest. I'm just sitting here at my little computer, waiting for email... :-((

Marilyn Sep 17th, 2003 09:41 AM

Still waiting to hear from many of you who originally responded. Meanwhile, I heard from 2 new people yesterday, so I'll keep this topped.

Marilyn Sep 19th, 2003 10:27 AM

topping again...