San Francisco for ONE Day

Old Jun 11th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco for ONE Day

Hello. I have been on a brief trip to San Francisco many years ago with my husband. But in a few weeks, I'm flying with my 13 year old niece to San Francisco from St. Louis on a Wednesday and then on Thursday morning we'll be getting on the California Zephyr for the train trip. So I'm just trying to get some of the logistics down for our one day in San Francisco. We arrive in the SFO around 8:00 AM. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis near Market Street. I chose this location because I could use my Marriott points and because it's close to the Powell BART station, where I figure it would be easy to hop on to make our way to Richmond for the train on Thursday morning.

So when we arrive in SFO, I figured we'd take the BART to the Powell Station and walk to the Marriott to drop off our bags, We're both packing VERY light with just a small backpack each. Otherwise I'd take a taxi or Uber.

What I'd like is some help with logistics. The two things I was thinking would be nice for a casual day would be riding the cable car and then going to Fisherman's Wharf. I wouldn't mind walking through Chinatown since I remember that as being fun, but don't want to overdo. I would like to get a good view of the Golden Gate, but if I remember correctly, you can see it pretty clearly from the Wharf? I am pretty sure that we can board the cable car at Powell, but then just trying to arrange a pleasant but not strenuous day.

Late in the afternoon we'll want to go to the Target by our hotel to get snacks for the train and eat something casual nearby, if someone has recommendations.

Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sure, your plan is easy as pie, in fact it might be too limited. The Hyde street cable car (board at Powell and Market, two or three minutes from your hotel) will take you to Ghirardelli Square, from which it's a short stroll to Fishermen's Wharf. Yes, you can see the Golden Gate Bridge from the area, although it's quite distant. If it was me, I'd take the cable car up to the wharf area, then phone for an Uber to take me out to Fort Point, the civil war-era fort that's located directly under the bridge. (The Uber would probably cost $10 - $15.) In addition to the old fort being a terrific historic resource, the views of the bridge from there are second to none.

You could Uber back to your hotel, or if you feel energized you could walk back to the wharf or (closer) the Marina district along the walking path along the bay. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/CLfTLjisTQm

An evening in Chinatown is fine, but there are lots of terrific options easily reached from your hotel, and more cool places to eat than you can count.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM

>> The Hyde street cable car (board at Powell and Market)
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo and Stu. Stu, you’ve guided me through two trips in France so I’m glad you chimed in.

The only thing I was thinking about for the Wharf was the sea lions. I know my niece would love to see them. I’ll definitely look at Ft. Point. I knew I would rather plan little and do more than to plan a lot and not be able to get everything in and have a let down. Plus, our bodies will be two hours ahead so I was considering that as well.

thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
The Walt Disney Museum...Fascinating for adults and kids!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/wal...san-francisco/

Old Jun 11th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts