Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Engagement (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-engagement-780464/)

bc1979 Apr 21st, 2009 03:04 PM

San Francisco Engagement

Hello everyone. My girlfriend and I will be visiting San Francisco for the first time in a few days and I was planning on popping the question while we are visiting. We are staying at the Marriott in Fisherman's wharf and I'm looking for some recommendations on where a good spot will be. Can anyone recommend a romantic walk or area with a nice view or any other thoughts of something close to where we will be? I don't think I'll be able to hold out during the week so this will all probably happen the night we get there.

Thank you and I appreciate any responses. I don't want to screw this up : )

StuDudley Apr 21st, 2009 03:26 PM

What time of day do you arrive, and where do you plan to go your first day here? There really aren't many (if any) romantic spots right at the Wharf - unless you like competing with barking seals & loads of tourists.

About a 30 min walk east & then south along the Embarcadero (waterfront), there are a few piers that jut out into the bay with very good views. Pier 7 on my AAA map is the first you'll encounter. If she says "no", you can dive into the water easily. If "yes", then walk on past the Ferry Building and have dinner at Epic Roadhouse (meat), ot Waterbar (fish) - both romantic restaurants (reserve ahead). Others may suggest dinner at Slanted Door at the Ferry Building - but I don't think it's too romantic.!!!

We're having a major heatwave at the moment - but tomorrow it's supposed to cool off & then chance of rain on the weekend & much cooler (60s). If it's raining & blustery when you plan to pop the question, then perhaps take a Cable Car to the "Top of the Mark" (Mark Hopkins Hotel) & do it there. However, ask other about how crowded the "Top" gets and when it gets crowded.

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Apr 21st, 2009 03:36 PM

If you take the cable car, take the Powell/Hyde line - which you catch west of the Cannery. It's much more scenic & romantic than the Powell/Mason line. Sit on the left (east) side of the car for the best views. You could get off at the squiggly section of Lombard St if you can't wait till you get to California St & the Mark Hopkins.

Stu Dudley

bc1979 Apr 21st, 2009 03:41 PM

I'm thinking we will get checked in around 6:00pm give or take. We don't have anything planned for that night yet so I'm open for anything. Thanks for the fast response!

Are the piers typically crowded?

StuDudley Apr 21st, 2009 03:45 PM

Not in the evening.

Stu Dudley

enzian Apr 21st, 2009 03:52 PM

Anren't there also some nice quiet spots along the waterfront west of Fisherman's Wharf, with a view of the Golden Gate bridge and Marin? I'm goin gto have to pull out a map. . .

But you'll find more celebratory restaurants walking the Embarcadero in the other direction, as Stu suggested. I think there's a nice open public pier just past Pier 39---we turn around there when we run from the ferry building.

And yes, the Slanted door is not romantic. Too noisy/trendy!

StuDudley Apr 21st, 2009 04:06 PM

There are some quiet spots to the west around Ft Mason & the Municipal Pier. However, I think the walk along the Embarcadero with Coit Tower lit up, and the view of downtown & the Embarcadero Center would be a great "welcome" to San Francisco.

Stu Dudley

bc1979 Apr 21st, 2009 04:33 PM

These are some great ideas. The walk down the embarcadeoro sounds perfect. Any other restaurants come to mind near the Epic or Waterbar? I don't mind the price but something where I won't need a suit or even a shirt and tie. I don't want her to have any inklings of what's going on and I think if I tell her she needs to get all dressed up as soon as we arrive she is going to be suspicous. And we will be traveling all day so I'd rather do a big blow out dinner the next night. I really appreciate all the help so far. You guys are great. I will be sure to let you know how everything goes when I return.

StuDudley Apr 21st, 2009 05:05 PM

No coat & tie, no dress, no heals required. San Francisco is very casual.

Butterfly is a little more casual and has kind Asian Fusion food. View & ambience not quite as nice as Waterbar & Epic Roadhouse, however. Boulevard is close by - but it gets a little noisy.

Stu Dudley