Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-downtown-29179/)

Calhoun Jul 22nd, 1998 09:43 PM

San Francisco downtown

A couple of recent postings cited problems at the Union Square area -- unsavory or dangerous characters, aggressive panhandlers, etc. These are realities of any large city, of course, but is it really so bad in this particular area? Many previous postings termed this a desirable area for tourists to stay in and indicated it was relatively safe day and night. <BR>... Would appreciate comments from residents and recent tourists.

Meg Jul 23rd, 1998 06:06 AM

We have stayed in Union Square area twice in the last few years. I was surprised at the number of homeless people sleeping in Union Square. I was approached by a man wanting a cigarette one time and another man sat down next to me at Union Square one day and started talking, but I never felt threatened. We didn't roam around a lot at night (our hotel was right across the street from the shows we had tickets for), but one night we did walk around the downtown area and had no problems. Like you said, this is something you will encounter in any big city - I wouldn't be scared, but do be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Tracy Jul 23rd, 1998 07:00 AM

If you not use to homeless peoeple Union Square might set you back a bit but.....It is not a danger in my opinion. The homeless problem is an unfortunate fact in San Francisco. During the day many homeless go to Market street and up becuase of the amount of people going to work and the tourist hoping they will give them money. I would be more concerned walking down from Union Square to the theathers in the dark. The Mayor of San Francisco keeps shifiting the homeless people around doing rather awful things to them. He is trying to hide the problem from tourists. I have lived in the Bay Area all my 35 years and have watched the problem worsen but as for voilence it's not very common expecally for a big city. It's 100 times safer than New York.

kam Jul 23rd, 1998 10:30 AM

Yes we do have a lot of homeless. But, they are not "bums" as I've heard them referred to on this forum. Most of the homeless are mentally impaired because of big time drug use and I've never found any to be violent. It's a very sad fact that California with all our money can't do a better job with these sad people. On a brighter note, I just heard that there's a shelter opening with kennel facilities so those homeless who don't want to seek shelter because they'd have to leave their pets will be able to keep the pets. Usually a simple "no, I can't help you" will send them away. We are a city that makes its living on tourism--believe me the city govt is doing as much as they can to make it safe and pleasant for you. You need to be city smart, however. <BR>

Keith Beer Jul 24th, 1998 09:16 AM

I was recently in San Francisco, and walked through most of the neighborhoods in the city. Nearly all of them are quite tame. Yes, indeed, there are numerous homeless, and other slightly ragged folks in the Union Square area, but I cannot say that I felt threatened by them. In fact, I was a bit put off that the major travel guides make mention of these folks as if they are a major threat--it kept me from staying at one of the many fine hotels in the Union Square area. Considering all of the people on the street in the Union Square area in the evening, I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as you keep your wits about you, and stay to busy, well lighted corridors. <BR>

Carrie Sep 19th, 1998 09:08 PM

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to be honest and I would have to slightly disagree with everyone else. I was recently in San Fran (Union Square) and my friend and I were waiting for a cable car and we were harassed by a bum. As we were waiting, a gentleman approached me asking for money. I nicely said no not today and turned around. He continued yelling at me saying, and I quote (edited into nicer slang) "You white folks don't give a 'crap' about us". My friend then turned to him and said nicely, I'm sorry sir but we aren't interested thank you. Then the bum continued to yell and eventually threw a cracker-type thing at my friends face, just barely missing her eye and then the bum walked away. He continued to harass people on the line until one gentleman got so fed up that he went and found a foot patrol police man who took care of that bum. It was quite interesting. Being that I am from NY and go into NYC often, I was shocked at how misbehaved the San Fran bums are. I NEVER experienced something like that in NYC. However, on a lighter note, I don't think your safety will be in jeopardy since, as I noted, there is a police presence in that area. <BR> <BR>

Marcia Sep 21st, 1998 02:58 PM

Raised in the Bay Area; started commuting to SF for office work in my teens in the summer. Still go regularly for visits. Frankly, the homeless problem not withstanding, the place strikes me as safer now than in the 1960's. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the Union Square area or walk around in the evening. There are tons of people. <BR> The incident described above is unfortunate, but it can, and does, happen in any big city, including New York. <BR> Awareness of your surroundings and the people around you is the key, as it is any environment, for your safety. You have to be just as aware of you renviornment on a wilderness trail - it's just that you are being aware of different stuff. <BR> Go - visit- travel - have fun.