San Francisco: Casual Dining for a Special Occassion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a restaurant for our last night in San Francisco. We would like to find a real nice place (like you would go to for a special occassion), but where I wouldn't feel out of place without a jacket or tie. Something that would be fairly convenient to our hotel (the Argonaut) would be great, and that takes reservations since it will be a Friday night. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Except for the top end restaurants in SF you will be fine dining without a jacket and tie. I can recommend two nice casual restaurants in your area, but these are not special occasion restaurants
Umbria, Italian on Howard and I think 2nd
Townhall, also Howard St
A little nicer is Hawthorn Lane, also on the same street as the name of the rest., and all close to your hotel.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hi don, I sure agree that basically you will not have to worry about wearing a tie and jacket to SF restaurants. Do not know when you will be in SF but usually SF gets chilly even if it warm during the day so some kind of a jacket would probably be needed weatherwise.

Personally I don't consider the Hawthorne Lane Restaurant to be in the same area as the Argonaut..Hawthorne Lane is in the area known as South of Market, near the Moscone Center. So not sure if you would find that convenient or not. You would probably want to take a taxi. Have fun and enjoy your special occassion evening!!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Since your hotel is in the Fisherman's Wharf area, I would suggest McCormick & Kuleto, which is in Ghirardelli Square...maybe walking distance, I am not sure. It's beautiful, with a whole glass wall looking at the bay. Hard to find a table without a view. The food is excellent. No worry about jacket and tie, but I wouldn't necessarily wear jeans <g>. It is listed as "dressy casual".

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Agree with the no jacket and tie at most restaurants. There aren't a lot of what I would "special occasion" restaurants in the Fisherman's Wharf area (where the Argonaut is located). Some of the nicer restaurants with the best food in the area are Ana Mandara (Vietnamese) or Gary Danko www.garydanko.com. Gary Danko is fabulous, but the place borders on needing a jacket. Many people seem to like Scoma's, but I've never been so I don't know what the ambiance is.

If you were willing to stretch your geographic area to North Beach as well, you would expand your options greatly. In North Beach, I like Cafe Jacqueline, El Raigon, Moose's, House, etc. Rose Pistola might be good too. Others will have recommendations.

You could also explore options in the area of Polk Street b/n Union Street and Broadway. That area is also pretty close to Fisherman's Wharf.

I happen to really enjoy Frascati www.frascatisf.com on Russian Hill (close to the top of the "twisty street" aka Lombard). I was just there to celebrate a birthday.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM

OOPS....I was thinking of a different hotel...The Argent which is close to the restaurants....sorry!!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I also agree that you should go up Polk street for dinner, it's really very close to you, here are a few to add the already great list:
Le Petit Robert
Yabbies
Antica Trattoria
Pesce
Hyde Street Bistro
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM

>>I happen to really enjoy Frascati www.frascatisf.com on Russian Hill (close to the top of the "twisty street" aka Lombard). I was just there to celebrate a birthday.<<

We were there on Friday - very nice place, although I would not call it an elegant restaurant like Gary Danko, La Folie, Ana Mandara, etc. I know people have different "tastes", but instead of dining at Wharf places (other than Danko & Mandara) I would urge visitors staying at the Wharf to take a short cable car ride up Hyde & try one of the dozen or so restaurants along the stretch between Union & Pacific. Zarguella, Frascati, Luella, & Hyde Street Bistro are quite nice. This is a fery pretty tree-lined street with nice storefronts to peek into. IMHO, this is much more "authentic San Francisco" than anything you will find at the tourist spots at the Wharf.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for Ana Mandara, but make reservations ASAP.

MY
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Moose's has everyhting you want including being an easy walk from your hotel.

http://www.mooses.com