Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco car rental question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-car-rental-question-1068091/)

shaya Aug 11th, 2015 07:27 PM

San Francisco car rental question

We are flying into SFO on a Thursday at around 10pm, and plan to spend Friday and Saturday in Pt Reyes. Sat and Sun PM we are back in SF at the Chelsea Motor Inn in the Marina. My question is this - do we rent from the airport and stay at an airport hotel, keeping the car until we leave on Monday? Or rent the car and drive into the city to stay Thursday PM? It doesn't look like there is a car rental place terribly close to the Chelsea Motor Inn. Any advice appreciated.

janisj Aug 11th, 2015 07:44 PM

Not an easy choice actually. Keeping the car in SF is fine because your hotel has free parking.

But your arrival is a bit of an issue. Since you land so late the conventional wisdom would be to stay at an airport hotel. (You could get the car that night or the next morning). But that would mean driving all through SF during the Fri morning commute. So IF the Chelsea has availability Thursday night, I'd book another night there, get your car at SFO and drive to the hotel. That will put you on the north side of SF and easy access to the bridge and heading north.

Or -- if the Chelsea is full up on thurs, there are other hotels/motels in that area along Lombard street that also have parking, Including the Presidio Travelodge (NOT the other Travelodge which is crappy)

shaya Aug 11th, 2015 07:53 PM

They do have availability JanisJ. That is what I am leaning towards, airport hotels are no cheaper and it should save us time Friday AM. The only drawback I realize now is driving out to SFO on Monday AM…

kleroux Aug 11th, 2015 07:59 PM

On Monday morning ask your hotel to direct you to 19th Ave. and past SF State University taking the #280 to the #380 and SFO. That way you will avoid going through downtown SF.

janisj Aug 11th, 2015 08:03 PM

kleroux beat me to it. It is easy (easier anyway) taking 19th Ave across to get south.

shaya Aug 11th, 2015 08:08 PM

You guys are wonderful! Thanks so much for the tip :)

sf7307 Aug 12th, 2015 07:37 AM

Even if you take 19th Avenue, be aware it will take quite awhile if you're talking about rush hour. Use Waze to guide you.

Michael Aug 12th, 2015 01:01 PM

Isn't there a stiff fee for airport rentals? If so, it might be better to take BART to SF and rent the car from a city location on the way out.

sf7307 Aug 12th, 2015 03:59 PM

I think there is a stiff fee, but I'm not sure it's any more than two people taking BART (about $18.00 one way, and then there's getting to the hotel, which isn't convenient to BART).

Michael Aug 12th, 2015 07:10 PM

However, it might also add an extra day's rental since the OP does not need the car until the morning after his arrival.

janisj Aug 12th, 2015 07:31 PM

>>However, it might also add an extra day's rental since the OP does not need the car until the morning after his arrival.<<

But if they want to get an early start up the coast they will want to have the car the night before. Checking out, getting to a downtown rental office, faffing about w/ the car will all take time.

Unless budget is a BIG consideration I'd do whatever makes things easier. If they don't want to leave SF til later - then waiting to get the car might be OK but . . . Sometimes convenience is worth a little extra $$