Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

San Francisco CA to Austin TX Road trip Route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are leaving San Francisco the week after Thanksgiving for a road trip with our dog, Ozzie, to Austin. We plan to drive in as a leisurely fashion as possible, with plenty of pit stops, so it may take us 5-6 days. We want to take a detour to the Grand Canyon, but the rest of the trip will be mostly driving, eating, sleeping, and dog walking.

We're leaving on a Monday and have to be in Austin by Saturday, but we need to spend Friday night in San Antonio. We figure we'll spend our first night in Barstow, CA. I'd kind of like to see Tucson. Is there a way to get to Austin that could be fun and scenic? Any places to avoid?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Hello JeanneE

<i>"Is there a way to get to Austin that could be fun and scenic?"</i>

Sorry, not really. West Texas isn't exactly scenic.

If you were heading to San Antonio directly from the Grand Canyon, I'd suggest you take the more northern route, thru Albuquerque, perhaps to Wichita Falls, Denton, Dallas, then south to San Antonio. Certainly the more populated route.

But since you added Tucson into the mix, the most direct route would be I-10, straight into San Antonio. Have a good I-pod selection. You'll need it.

Happy travels!
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you know where you can stay legally with the doggie, right?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Hmm....well, maybe we should toss Tucson. The biggest reason I wanted to stay there was because it has a Loew's hotel. Loew's is great and pet friendly, but I guess I can't base my trip around it.

Surprisingly, there's a lot of decent places that accept dogs, even in west Texas. We may need to make advance reservations, though, because some of them have just a few units that they rent for pets. I hadn't even thought of going the northern route, so I'll look into it. Would it add another day to our trip?
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Loew's in Tucson is beautiful, and Tucson has lots to offer (Saguaro Natl. Mon., Arizona-Sonora-Desert Museum, Mission San Xavier del Bac, nearby Tombstone...).

Basically, you have to options: the northern route via Albuquerque and the southern route via Tucson.

The northern route is scenic within Arizona and northern New Mexico. Stop at Acoma Pueblo. From Albuquerque, you may take I-25 southwards and see White Sands, which is spectacular.

The southern route may lead you to Sedona, and then to Tucson. You will also have the option to visit White Sands near Las Cruces.

The stretch in West Texas will be the boring part of the trip. If you have time enough, you drive southwards via Marfa and Presidio to Lajitas (beautiful resort there), ghost town Terlingua and Big Bend.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Here's a description of an I-10 road trip we took in Texas a few years ago:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-mountains.cfm
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Give "Ozzie" our best !