Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - best 1 day organised tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 4 days or so in SF - first visit. Current thinking is to take an organised tour on day one so we can get a good overview, then use remaining days to fill in gaps and re-visit the best places.

Any views on who runs the best SF tour?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I'm interested in the response, too. I've found a little info on tripadvisor dot com and hope you get some input here.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM

San Francisco City Guides offer excellent walking tours and I have taken a couple:

http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Some time ago I also took a tour of Nobb Hill:

http://www.hobnobtours.com/index.html
which was quite informative - learned about the 1906 earthquake and which buildings were destroyed and which were left standing, tour of the Grace Cathedral which you can do on your own.

http://www.gracecathedral.org/visiti...cathedraltour/

I have not taken any organized bus tours. I have seen those buses that look like trolley cars loaded with people driving around the city and then I have seen old fashioned cars taking smaller groups of people around that look like something I would want to do if I were to take a tour:

http://www.mrtoadstours.com/

I know nothing about them so you might want to check tripadvisor.

Lots of fun to take a bay cruise if the weather is nice.

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM

We used...

www.allsanfranciscotours.com/

We did the all day city tour which included Alcatraz.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Allow me a follow-up qustion:- is the trip to Alcatraz worth the high rating it gets from various guides to SF? With limited time in the city (maybe 3-4 jet-lagged days), I'm thinking that there are surely many other places to see that would be more memorable. Even an institution as famous as Alcatraz is, after all, only a disused prison.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM

Allow me a follow-up qustion:- is the trip to Alcatraz worth the high rating it gets from various guides to SF?

I don't know how anyone can possibly answer this question for you. To me, it's an excellent [interesting] tour and I know others agree. But if the subject matter or the place doesn't interest YOU, then of course, it's not a good use of your time.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM

It's personal, only you will be able to decide. Here's what I suggest: Find out where and at what time the people who go on the Alcatraz tour disembark when they come back - build it into your gallivanting schedule to be there on time and ask a few for their impressions.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

I've lived in San Francisco or just outside of the City for 34 years and we visit everything we can around here. I enjoyed the tour and also the views of The City on the boat ride to & from. If someone will only be here 2 days or less, I advise them to see other things. For longer visits, Alcatraz is an interesting trip. It's not just a decaying concrete building - there are lots of interesting stories that are relayed to the visitor. The setting is quite nice also.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
maj

We weren't really that interested in Alcatraz either, but thought we should see it. We ended up really enjoying the experience -- much more informative and interesting than we had anticipated. We took the first night tour -- went over in the daylight and returned after dark. With 4 days I would try to fit it in.