Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco attractions, second time around (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-attractions-second-time-around-563771/)

rainforest Oct 10th, 2005 09:07 PM

San Francisco attractions, second time around

Hi all,
Any ideas for what see/do in San Francisco for 2 and a half days? I will be there after a conference with two professors and about 6 students. Some of us were there last year - we took in Fisherman's warf, Chinatown, cable cars, the crookedest street in the world, and that street where the hippie movement started.
I'm thinking about the Golden gate bridge and Golden Gate park for starters, maybe the museums if the weather doesn't co-operate.
I'm looking for activities that are relatively cheap (students), and will be enjoyed by all (read: students must hang out with their advisors), and can be done on short notice (we originate from different cities, and some of us don't know each other yet!). Alcatraz is out of the question because we'd have to book tickets in advance.
Any other ideas? Which museums are your favourites?

LoveItaly Oct 10th, 2005 10:08 PM

Hello rainforest, the deYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park just opened up this last weekend. If you go to www.sfgate.com you can read a lot of information about it to see if that would be of interest. That might be an interesting place for you to all go to. And of course there is the Asian Museum and also the Museum of Modern Art. Most young people love walking across the Golden Gate Bridge. The Ferry Bldg at the end of Market St. is quite interesting, rather like an European Market Place. And you could take them on the ferry to Sausalito, and have lunch there while enjoying a skyline view of SF. There is also North Beach. While it is not quite the "Italian neighborhood" it use to be they might enjoy it. And of course there is the Mission District, a good place to get inexpensive lunches compared to the typical restaurant in SF. Have fun!

tovarich Oct 11th, 2005 03:50 AM

If you have transportation go across the Golden gate bridge to Muir woods. Giant redwoods. Great.Paul

bbqboy Oct 11th, 2005 05:41 AM

Clement Street in the Avenues, the real Chinatown. Streetcars to Ocean Beach. BART to Berkekey and Telegraph Avenue, College Ave too.You can Take MUNI bus to Marin Headlands across the GGB, at certain times. Ferry to Sausalito and back, or even 1 way and catch the bus back. Mission District to have a Burrito. That's a start.

E Oct 11th, 2005 06:47 AM

Japantown! Authentic shops and restaurants, and a great modernist cathedral just down the street--sorry, I can't recall the name at the moment, but I know it's in the Fodor's guide.

J_Correa Oct 11th, 2005 06:53 AM

For Alcatraz, check into it when you get to SF. Tickets are probably availible.

FainaAgain Oct 11th, 2005 03:30 PM

DeYoung in the Golden Gate park will open next weekend with some Egyptian queen exhibit, don't remember which one, not Cleopatra.

Asian Art museum is a great place! If you are not aware, it's in the new building at Civic Center BART station, the old main library building.

Also you can take BART to the Oakland museum for history, art, biology.

rainforest Oct 11th, 2005 05:40 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm sure we'll find something for everyone and have a great time!