Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Area Hotels - Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-area-hotels-help-259888/)

Lyrac Sep 21st, 2002 11:09 AM

San Francisco Area Hotels - Help

I'm looking for some information about the<BR>San Francisco area. I've got a job interview in San Francisco and will be traveling from Tennessee. I've never been to the SF area and needing some help with hotels. I've found combo airfare/hotel rates and need some advice on the hotels listed. <BR><BR>Hotels include the Gates Hotel - San Fran.<BR>The Mosser - San Fran.<BR>Clarion Hotel - Millbrae<BR>Allison Hotel -San Fran<BR>Westin San Fran Airport<BR>Ramada Inn SF Airport<BR><BR>Could someone let me know if you've had any good/bad experiences with any of the above listed. <BR><BR>Thanks for your help in advance.

George Sep 21st, 2002 11:13 AM

Not familiar with any of those hotels. However, because of the distance, don't stay in one of the airport hotels--stay in the City proper.<BR><BR>You might check the SF board on the hotel section of biddingfortravel.com . Some folks are getting some very nice lodging off Priceline with information gained on the former.

lyrac Sep 21st, 2002 11:30 AM

Thanks for the information George - I'll check into it.

Carl Sep 21st, 2002 12:14 PM

Although I have not stayed at any of the above hotels, I do live in the area. The Allison and the Gates are both located in Union Square in Downtown. I really would not recommend downtown SF because it is a dirty and run down area of town (ie:) streetpeople, drug dealers, etc. The Mosser is located in the South of market area, which is marginal at best. Your best bet would be to stay at one of the airport hotels. From the airport to downtown is only about 13 miles. If you prefer not to drive into SF, you can take the Caltrain at the Millbrae Station to SF. Check www.caltrain.com for more information.

Ruth Sep 24th, 2002 09:07 AM

If your job interview is downtown, stay downtown--traffic in and out of San Francisco can be terrible. I have visited the city innumerable times and alway stayed downtown, either near Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf (the last time last December) and never had any problem with street people (other than a persistent mime years ago). If you're not used to big city street people and ambience, you may find it disconcerting, but I'd opt for the convenience of being close to your interview, again, if it's downtown. Sorry, but I don't know either of the two downtown hotels you mentioned.

Carl Sep 24th, 2002 09:16 AM

Traffic heading into SF is really not that bad. In the morning, most of the traffic will heading out of San Francisco toward San Jose. It shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to get to downtown SF from Milbrae of the SF airport area. Again, I would not recommend staying in the downtown area.

Rita Oct 26th, 2002 04:09 PM

We are looking for names of some very nice hotels that are near the Hertz Rental Car drop off at 433 Mason Street near Union Square. This is for mid-November. We have stayed at the Prescott before and liked it.

NN Oct 26th, 2002 07:55 PM

If you have your interview in SF, it is STUPID to stay at the airport. The city is the place you need to be, especially since most job interviews are a.m. Read through the recommendations and consider the source, Lyrac.