San Fran...which part to stay in?

Sep 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

San Fran...which part to stay in?

We are planning to visit SF for the first time next summer and want to spend a couple of days being tourists. What is the best and most convenient area to stay in?
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM

I think this subject gets debated here more than any other subject. There have been several recent posts about areas to stay in. It really depends on what you plan to do while here, how much you want to spend, and whether you'll have a car or not. I suggest that you select "California" in the search criteria and read a few of the past posts.

Stu Dudley
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Be warned when you are packing for your trip that San Francisco's fog can be bitingly cold when it rolls in. Mark Twain once wrote that "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM

>>Mark Twain once wrote that "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."<<

He never said that.

Stu Dudley

Sep 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Maybe yes maybe no. It can't be definitively verified, but it has been widely quoted as Mark Twain's and no alternative original source for the quote has ever been found. It certainly SOUNDS like something Mark Twain would say. More importantly - there is a lot of truth in it.
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Ah yes! The old Mark Twain debate. It is a great line. If Mark didn't say it, then maybe Sam Clemens did.

Well, at least we know that Lorenz Hart did write:

"She hates california, its cold and its damp
Thats why the lady is a tramp"

According to CBS5.com, it never got above 57 degrees today at the Golden Gate Bridge. That's about the same high temperature you would experience in the winter here.
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
dmlove

While that's true (it is quite cool here today), fortunately for us, it also won't get much BELOW 57 degrees in the middle of January!

Sep 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM

First to the point about Mark Twain, he never said it or wrote it,:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

Next on where to stay:

We stayed on Nob Hill and walked down to Union Square for dining and shopping. We took the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf, took the ferry to Sausalito, walked back through North Beach, China Town and then back to Nob Hill. San Francisco is thoroughly walkable.

Another time we stayed in Union Square, shopped and dined and walked to China Town in the evening.

Public transportation makes it easy to stay where you want and visit the other places of interest.
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM

If you have children then Fisherman's Wharf, which is the number one hotel destination in San Francisco.

If it's just the two of you, then several locations will do: Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square East, the Embarcadero, Nob Hill - just depends on your budget.

If you will have a car, then there are several motel type places along Lombard Street that allow free parking.

If you're using Priceline...
Sep 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I've always found it convenient to stay in the Union Square area.
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM

For the two of us I find Fisherman's Wharf to be too crowded, too noisy and too full of souvenir shops and very annoying buskers.

We like to eat at Scoma's during crab season (roasted garlic crab). Most of the rest of the restaurants should be ashamed of themselves for turning into mediocre tourist gougers.

It's ok to walk or take a cable car down to see the seals, but we didn't enjoy staying there at all the last time we had to do that because conventions had filled up our usual Union Square hotels.
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
SAB

Yup SF is cold, damp and just awful, don't know why anyone would want to visit. And forget about moving here, terrible place to live. (Thought I would do my bit to try and keep the real estate prices down--LOL)

Cubgirl-unfortunately July and August are not the optimal times to visit the City. Whereas in most places summer is a sunny and warm time, we experience lots of days of fog then. Outside of SF is sunny and warm, but the coast can experience dense fog which sometimes does not burn off all day.

As far as places to stay, Stu did a great summary on another post weighing the pros and cons of the more popular areas--just click on his name to find it.
Sep 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM

We visited in July and had the most awesome weather. The streets in the Union Square area were clogged with visitors and locals. I'd never seen it like that.

We also recently visited in January and had really glorious weather.

Before those visits we did not dress apropriately and ended up purchasing the fleece pullovers that you see on all the ill prepared visitors. The weather is thorougly difficult to predict.
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:02 AM

>>The weather is thorougly difficult to predict.<<

Right now we're supposed to have our best weather. It's been crappy, & forecast is for more of the same.

Stu Dudley
Sep 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
dmlove

San Francisco itself has been pretty grey for most of the last few days. In the 'burbs (where Stu and I both live), it's been cold and grey in the mornings, but very nice in the afternoons (we had a barbecue on Saturday afternoon and downright roasted in the sun).

That said, what others have said is so true - San Francisco has the most unpredictable weather anywhere that I know of.

Sep 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM

There are too many bed and breakfasts to recommend just one. Definitely avoid the Warf. I just learned that they charge and additional 3% on sales tax, on top of the regular 8.5%.

I recommend the Alamo Square historic district. There's lots of gorgeous victorians, you have the Painted Ladies right there, and everything is downhill from there.
Sep 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM

>>I just learned that they charge and additional 3% on sales tax, on top of the regular 8.5%.<<

I don't think that's true. There is no 3% additional sales tax. The 8.5% is the state sales tax, plus a small (less than 1%) BART tax There is a San Francisco hotel tax - but I believe that it applies everywhere in The City - not just to just Fisherman's Wharf.

Stu Dudley
Sep 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM

There is no CA sales tax on hotel rooms. There is a 14% hotel tax in San Francisco of which about 8 cents of every dollar collected goes to the city's Grants for the Arts. This tax is levied throughout the city. Fisherman's Wharf hotels pay the same as anywhere else.

The hotel tax in SF will be going up to 15.5% on January 1, 2009. So there will be more money for the arts.