Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Fran Union Square hotel suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-fran-union-square-hotel-suggestions-479997/)

beachgirl86 Oct 12th, 2004 02:49 PM

San Fran Union Square hotel suggestions?

Hi,
I will be traveling to LA and SF in February with my cousin and her boyfriend. I think DH is sitting out this trip.

We are looking for a hotel in Union Square, walking distance to restaurants, shops, cable cars, etc...for around $150-$175/night. We would like 2 double beds, and prefer a room with a mini-fridge for bottled water, drinks, snacks, etc. I doesn't need to be fancy, just nice, clean, and comfortable.

Thanks!

Jules_Cali Oct 12th, 2004 03:13 PM

A great hotel that is in a fun location just off Union Square is the Hotel Triton. It's located just outside the Chinatown gates and is a block away from all the action in Union Square. Not sure of all the rates but worth checking out.

MaureenB Oct 12th, 2004 03:34 PM

A few years ago, we liked The Hotel Rex. A boutique type hotel, great service and a nice atmosphere. Great location, too. We had two double beds, but don't remember if we had a mini-bar or not. They were very accomodating.

Budman Oct 12th, 2004 04:34 PM

I would go to Priceline. We got the 4* Hilton for $75.00 after taxes and fees. (Our bid was $65.00 before taxes & fees). You could do much, much better than $150-175 per night.

Check on biddingfortravel.com and get a strategy for bidding for a nice hotel in Union Square. ((b))

beachgirl86 Oct 12th, 2004 04:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Hotel Rex and Hotel Triton both look great.

Budman -- The reason I hadn't looked into Priceline or Hotwire is because I didn't think they could guarantee 2 double beds, and I definitely need that if my hubby isn't going...I'm shacking up with my cousin and her boyfriend. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Budman Oct 12th, 2004 05:02 PM

For the difference in price, you could get 2 rooms.

Most hotels have 2 double beds to offer, and I can't guarantee, but I've always been offered 2 doubles or a king (check in early). ((b))

wantsomesun Oct 12th, 2004 05:57 PM

I was in SF not long ago and stayed at the Adante Hotel. For the price you are looking for, you could get either 2 rooms or a suite in the hotel. It is in the Theatre district and has a cute internet cafe attached to the hotel. Breakfast of danish/muffins is also included.

You can get more info on hotels.com, which is where I found the hotel. Also by booking you can get some coupons for discount dinners and shopping.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

martytravels Oct 12th, 2004 06:01 PM

The Renaissance Parc 55 is a big (1,000) room chain hotel with the typical upscale taupe rooms, but is actually a good place to stay if you want to be near Union Square and don't mind the generic-ness. It has good weekend rates in your price range, and the rooms have mini fridges in them.