Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Fran to the OC - Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-fran-to-the-oc-help-538511/)

lfalcone Jun 21st, 2005 05:58 PM

San Fran to the OC - Help

My cousin and I are considering the following itinerary - fly into San Fran on Saturday, stay 4 nights, rent a car and drive down the coast and end up in the OC (Long Beach and Irvine) on Friday. I realize this is a lot of ground to cover so is this even doable?

I understand the drive from SF to LA is about 12 hours if you take PCH, so I figured we would make two stops along the way - any suggestions?

BTW, I am 30 and she is 23. I've been to Southern Cal a few times but never north of Malibu. She has never been to CA.

Thanks!

NorthwestMale Jun 21st, 2005 06:04 PM

When you get to the O.C., be sure to say hi to Alex for me. (and Ryan, and Caleb, and Sandy, and Summer)

Alex was so hot. With all of that make-up she looked so naughty!

P.S. - Well OK, maybe not Caleb...

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 22nd, 2005 08:39 AM

Calling San Francisco "San Fran", or calling Orange County "the OC", is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't know why...! At least the OP didn't say "Frisco"!!

I need professional help, obviously.

First of all, Long Beach is NOT in Orange County, thank you very much. We are next door to the Orange Curtain and that's bad enough. And Irvine is in OC (note, not &quot;the OC&quot;), but <b>24 miles</b> from Long Beach. What will you be doing in Long Beach and Irvine, by the way? Neither one is exactly a hotbed of touristic interest.

If you take CA-1 (it's not PCH until you're practically in Santa Barbara) all the way, that is indeed at least a 12-hour drive. You should leave Thursday and make an overnight stop-- Cambria? San Luis Obispo?

By the way, did you know that TV show &quot;The OC&quot; is almost 100% filmed on soundstages in Manhattan Beach-- in Los Angeles County (not &quot;the LAC&quot;)? Even the main characters' house has been rebuilt on a soundstage. Any establishing exterior shots of OC sites are either stock footage or second unit work.

lfalcone Jun 22nd, 2005 06:38 PM

Original poster here - I know Long Beach is not in &quot;OC&quot; but I didn't think it was necessary to point that out for purposes of my question.

ANYWAY, I have a friend I will be staying with at the end of the trip in Long Beach and my cousin has a friend she will be staying with in Irvine.

Thanks for your help.

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 23rd, 2005 08:18 AM

Sorry to be so snarky-- I have to stop posting before the coffee really kicks in!

Well, while y'all are in the area, make sure you arrange a trip somewhere nice on the coast. Laguna Beach or Newport Beach, for example. A little nosh, a little stroll, a little beach time. And ask nicely if your LB friend will take you to Christy's in Belmont Heights for a nice dinner. If you like high-end Italian food and good wine, you'll love this place.

J_Correa Jun 23rd, 2005 08:41 AM

For the trip down the coast, you are planning to leave SF on Wednesday and arrive in the LA area on Friday, correct? I think I counted the nights right - LOL. Your plan is absolutely doable.

So with 3 days/2 nights enroute, I would spend the first night in Monterey and the second in the Cambria/Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area. This will break up your trip nicely and give you interesting places to stay.

If you leave SF in the morning on Wednesday - I would say 9 or so to miss the morning commute traffic - you can get to the Monterey area by 11 and have the rest of the day to see Monterey. There are a couple routes you could take depending on whether you want to see things along the way or just get to Monterey and spend your time there. I would take Hwy 1. It will take longer - 2 1/2 hours vs 1 1/2 hours - but you follow the coastline.

The next day, I would head through the Big Sur coast - I think it is only about 90 miles from Monterey to Cambria, but this is a very scenic, narrow, twisty road, so plan on taking your time. Plus, you will want to stop along the way to enjoy the scenery.

Where to spend that night depends on what you want. Cambria is more of an artry place. Morro Bay is more tourist fishing village. San Luis Obispo is a college town and is slightly inland. Pismo Beach is a classic california beach town.

Then on Friday, head down to the LA area.

FainaAgain Jun 23rd, 2005 12:44 PM

RJW, trust me, Orange Curtain is not bad when you compare it to the life behind the Iron Curtain, hello from former USSR :)