Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Fran, to Monterey, to Cambria. Are we doing the right thing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be leaving SFO with our rental van around noon on a Thursday, mid May.

We're going to hit some SF highlights (GGNRA) at the end of our trip when we come full circle (down from Oregon) at the end of our 2 week trip. Since the city of SF is north of the airport, and we're going south, we're thinking of not spending any time there when we first arrive, and just heading south to Monterey.

We planned to stay in Monterey our first night, then drive to Cambria the next day.

After Cambria for a night, we're going to backtrack up the coast (just to see it again, rather than cutting over to HWY 5) to Monterey and cut over to Angels Camp near Yosemite (resort already booked, so no changing the amount of nights we have before we get there).

We have 2 kids, ages 12 and 8, and we don't plan to do anything with big admission fees (like the aquarium) but want to see as much natural beauty as possible.

Is Monterey worth some time our first day when we leave the airport? We want to stop at Whole Foods (in Monterey) and get our groceries.

We thought about not driving all the way down to Cambria, but there really isn't much lodging along the coast and it really isn't that far to Cambria.

Anyone care to disagree and suggest something better for our first 2 days/nights?

Thanks!!

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not crazy about the backtracking idea. It's a long and tiring drive. Once you've seen the rocks, the cliffs, the ocean for so many hours you might wish you were some place else.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM

May 14th to 18th is the Jumping Frog Contest in Angel's Camp. I love the Frog Walk of Fame sidewalk, where every winning frog has a plaque with their name and winning distance. It would be a fun city for your kids to see, and be sure to read the Mark Twain story, The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.

http://www.frogtown.org/

Like the poster before me, just thinking of all that driving is making me cranky. All those places you are going can have long pockets of mind-numbing traffic.

I'm not sure about your first two days, etc., but you'll have a wonderful trip I'm sure, and there are so many affordable things for families.

You might want to reconsider the aquarium as it's quite impressive.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM

We're about to do this drive ourselves so I would not presume to advise on the specifics. However, based on general experience:

- be prepared for unexpected delays: your flight arrives late, or the car rental depot is slooooow (not uncommon at busy airports like SFO). Or you run into road construction, etc. etc. Translation: you might - or might not - arrive in Monterey as speedily as you hope.

-- Consider some options if it rains or if fog (which I have a lot of experience with elsewhere) rolls in - it can make things chilly. (I realize May isn't peak fog month according to the weather stats for the area, but the fog may not read the statistics..... ) Anyway....I wouldn't mind hiking in the rain/fog, providing it isn't really bad - but I'm guessing an 8 year old might raise objections. So like the above poster, don't rule out the aquarium entirely.

-- If you don't want to do San Simeon, consider going only as far as Big Sur. You might be able to manage this as a daytrip out of Monterey - such a roundtrip would involve about as much driving (possibly less) in one day as going all the way to Cambria - and this would allow you to base for 2 nights in Monterey/Carmel.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM

In Monterey, besides the aquarium, there will be plenty to keep your kids occupied. Just walking along the warf and looking at sea lions and otters they will enjoy. Also consider kayaking - it's inexpensive and is such a great experience.

http://www.adventuresbythesea.com/kayaking.html

Walking up and down cannery row will also be fun for you and the kids.

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Oh, and don't forget point lobos state park about a mile south of Carmel.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I would stay in Monterey the first two nights. There's a lot more to do & see around Carmel/Monterey than there is around Cambria. Also, the last 1/3 of the coast highway from Carmel to Cambria isn't as scenic, IMO, as the first 2/3. I think the only reason to go all the way to Cambria and then back the next day would be to see Hearst Castle - which you did not mention as a site you want to visit.

I would just plant yourself in Monterey for 2 days and drive south to Big Sur & perhaps 45 mins past, then turn around and return to Monterey.

If you head out at noon from SFO (I live next to the airport), you'll miss the commute traffic and should get to Monterey around 2:15. Visit Spanish Bay, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Carmel Beach, 17 Mile Drive, etc. Next day head south, stop in Pt Lobos (must see), then to Big Sur. Have burgers at Nepenthe (C- burgers, A- fries, overpriced - but A+ views and ambience). Just do a look-see if you want to save $$$. Then continue down the coast & back stopping at the various Pfeiffer places (see your guide book - Pfeiffer beach is free).

Return to Monterey & see more sites.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh, you guys have been so helpful! And you're taking my husband's side! He tried to talk me into staying in Monterey for 2 nights, but I didn't want to give up our ocean front lodging in Cambria at Moonstone Landing!

And I didn't like that it would cut our "coast time" in half if we only did a day trip down to Big Sur and back. I'm beginning to see the value in it though.

2 years ago we drove from SFO to just south of Santa Barbara down the coast (from noon 'til about 10:30pm), so we've already seen all of the that part of the coast. I just want to see it again. And again. This time slowly.

Okay, so if I give up beach access and ocean views in Cambria, where can we stay in the Monterey/Carmel area with views that won't break our bank? ($150 a night?)
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Well, ocean front at Moonstone is another thing! (Not that I know about it, but it sounds fun for the kids).

Since you have done the drive before, and know what it's like, it puts my mind at ease.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM

why don't you just get ocean front in monterey and save moonstone beach for another time, it is nice but not worth the long drive for one night. beside monterey look at pacific grove, it's right next to moneterey and you might be able to find something ocean front. when went last year we did a B&B so i know that is not a help for a family of four. make sure you gas is topped off before you take the ride down big sur, i just saw on our local san diego news that gas at Gorda is over $5, else where in CA it's averaging $3.50
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Would you consider posting name of oceanfront Moonstone beach lodging?

We are planing trip too..
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

1JAR, we have a night booked at the Moonstone Landing in Cambria, http://www.moonstonelanding.com/

I'm going to talk to dh about these new ideas and I bet we'll look into lodging in Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove!

$3.50 for gas is a little more than it is here (KY). We're paying about $3.00-$3.20. But $5.00 in Gorda? yikes!

kailani, thanks for mentioning the frog jumping! Sounds like something fun to do in the sleepy town of Angel's Camp!

Maria_so, kayaking sounds right up my son's alley! We'll look into it!