Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Fran - Ramada Limited Downtown or Westin St. Francis??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Erica

Hi,
Yes, I know these hotels are in two totally different classes, but here's the question:
We can get a small room with only a double bed and NO view at the Westin St. Francis (July 3-7 for $109/night through expedia. Or, we can get a regular size room with a king bed for $89/night at the Ramada. Both are in the same Union Square vicinity, which is what we want. My husband and I like to stay in nice hotels, but for the small amount of time we will spend in it while in San Fran, is it really worth the extra $100 to stay at the Westin? Would we be better off using that money to go out on the town? I'm just concerned that the room is going to be very tiny with a dark feeling (no view). Also, we will be staying in B&B's in Pacific Grove and Napa before San Fran, so we'll have our share of luxury at those...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Erica

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Erica

Oops.. I made a mistake... It's the Ramada Plaza Hotel on Market Street.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'm guessing that the $109 rate you mention for the Westin is a typo and should be $189... base on your comment of "an extra $100 per night". that said, although the Westin gets great reviews, I'd be disinclined to spend that much at a hotel where I wouldn't be spending much time in the room, particularly if there were good but much cheaper options available. I just stayed for a weekend at the Triton, on Grant Street near Sutter. It's a wonderful boutique hotel (see my review in post entitled "San Francisco Trip Report - Hotel Triton etc.". I paid $65 per night on Priceline.com and regular rates that weekend were $129. I found a web discounter that was offering rooms there for $109. Be sure to get a room wiht queen bed rather than full bed as I think the room is a tad larger. 4 star SF downtown hotels are going for $60-75 per night (roughly) on priceline at the moment. It's really worth visiting www.biddingfortravel.com and reading the Hotel FAQ before bidding. There is also a section that lists which hotels have appeared in winning bids that people have posted to the forum. No guarantee that you'll get one of those but all the 4 * hotels listed were good locations and properties (Westin St. Francis was among them). Can't comment on the Ramada but hopefully someone else will ahve feedback. If I had to choose between the Triton and the Ramda at same price, it's no contest - Triton is the best hotel value I've ever had and even if I'd paid the $129 rate I would have felt the same. Not knocking Ramada but I've yet to see or stay in one that I thought was worth more than $100 per night.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Owen O'Neill

Oops... it's late and I'm not reading carefullly. I now see and realize that the $100 figure os the difference over the five nights of a planned stay. At that small a difference it warrants more investigation - hopefully you'll get some good feedback here. I still suggest considering priceline if you're willing to be flexible.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Erica

Owen,
Thanks for your help. You were right on the second post.. the extra $100 is four nights at $20 plus tax. I know $109 is a great deal for the Westin, but with such a small room, I don't know if it's really worth it.
Still would like to hear on Ramada Plaza International....
Thanks again for your help!
Erica

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:47 AM
judy

On last visit to S.F., we stayed at the Marriot which was reasonably priced and very comfortable. Enjoyed also the indoor pool, view and the restaurant/lounge on the highest floor with a beautiful view, great martinis and snacks and a motown band.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Rachel

Erica,
My husband and I stayed at the St. Francis last August in the room that you're describing. We didn't feel that it was too small--plenty of room to walk around without bumping into furniture. The bathroom was average sized. Although small and with no view (the only downside), it was very comfortable and nice. I recall a large closet also. The service was great; plus, the "heavenly bed". I think we paid $119 a night--a special they had last year. We also really liked the location--very close to everything we wanted to do. The lobby is also really nice.

Have a fabulous trip--San Francisco is a great city!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:16 AM
x

A cot at the Westin beats a Suite at the Ramada.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
deb

Erica,
I just got the Park Hyatt Downtown for $46 a night on Priceline! Go to Biddingfortravel.com for details. You can bid for 4* hotels in the downtown area and get something really nice for less than either of the ones you are looking at.