San Fran in 2 days--tour or not

Jun 18th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

San Fran in 2 days--tour or not

So, my kids/teens (ages 11 and 14) and I will be in the San Fran for only 2 days (we have an additional 2 days in which we will do Berkeley and Monterey--I have lived in Berkeley many years ago and want to do that, although its not the choice many would make).

Since we have limited time in Sf, I am wondering if we need to do a tour to see everything. I am thinking either the hop on, hop off tour or Left Coast tours (as there is a groupon for that currently). My kids are not into hearing people talk, and we mostly need to get around quickly and easily. I should probably say we will be there July 4 and 5.

Here's what I'm thinking we should see in SF
Ferry Building
Fisherman's Wharf
Madame Trousseau's (is this at Fisherman's Wharf?)
Exploratorium
Lombard St/Painted Ladies
Ferry to Sausalito
Possibly-Haight Ashbury, CA Academy of Sciences

So, tour or just get around? It looks like a muni day pass is $21? Is that correct?
We are not into going to Alcatraz.

Thanks!
Jun 18th, 2017, 09:12 AM

I'm thinking the Golden Gate Bridge, a cable car ride for the kids, and a harbor cruise.

The last time we were in San Francisco we rented a car for the day from Thrifty. We had freedom, and the cost was less than any tour for two.

HTtY
Jun 18th, 2017, 05:50 PM

I agree with HTTY about a cable car ride, and the Golden Gate Bridge, although the latter is hard to do without a tour or a car. I would personally skip the harbor cruise and Mme Tussaud's (which has zero to do with San Francisco).

The Golden Gate Bridge, Exploratorium, Lombard Street, Ferry Building, Fishermans Wharf and the ferry to Sausalito are all on the same side of town, so they can be done on foot/Uber if needed.

The painted ladies, which you combined with Lombard Street, are not near Lombard Street. If you want to see the painted ladies, Haight-Ashbury (not much to see) and the CA Academy of Sciences, those are reasonably near each other, but you'll need a way to get from place to place. Personally, I'd drive.

The easiest cable car ride is the California Street line, which goes up California Street from Market to Van Ness. The other lines are more crowded and especially in summer you will spend a lot of time waiting to get on.

Search this Thread