San Fran for 12 & 16 year old girls & parents

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Fran for 12 & 16 year old girls & parents

Hi Everybody,
Going to be in SF for March 10 through March 14 (3 1/2 days) with daughters, and trying to get ideas of fun things to do with them. They love outdoors, nature, good food, musicals, street shopping (not indoors), walking, etc.

We're staying on Russian Hill. Any suggestions?

THANKS!

~~Kari
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM

Check sfgate.com. There are lots of great museums; there may also be some fun festivals.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Kal

We love walking up and down Polk St on a nice day, taking it all in. Walk up to Lombard's Crooked Street if you can.

Love Rex Cafe and Bell Tower.

There's a funky burger joint on Polk that I keep meaning to try but I can't because I keep forgetting the name..Polkers???
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:24 PM

Hi kari, take them to the Ferry Bldg. at the end of Market Street. Also around there Market St., Embarcadero are street peddlers (assume that is what you mean). Walk along the Embarcadero either south or north or both.

They no doubt would enjoy going to ChinaTown, they can look at a lot of merchandise which is outside of the shops. And of course if they like Chinese food you can eat there.

The SF Gate website TrvlMaven posted for you will be a good resource as you get closer to your trip.

Children and teens normally love SF and I am sure yours will also. Have a wonderful time! There are a multitude of activities to enjoy. Good food too!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll check sfgate.com, too. Polk Street sounds good, as does Lombard's.

What kind of food does Rex Cafe have, & what is Bell Tower, please? Funky burger place on Polk sounds good, too, if anybody knows the name, great.

What's at the Ferry Building? Street pedlers, I thought, they would enjoy, so thanks for that location.

Chinatown will be great, too!

I found out that Jersey Boys is playing, but not sure it'd be interesting to the kids.

Any cool, different museums?

Is there anything in Japantown to do?

THANKS!

Kari
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Kal

Rex: http://tinyurl.com/2ncnmm

Ferry Mktplace: http://tinyurl.com/3x7ant
The kids would love Taylor's Refresher.
Kinda of a 50s diner decor. Good food. GREAT Ahi burger and chili dusted sweet potato fries!

A lot of street vendors with jewlery, art, hats, masks etc across from the Ferry Bldg. Mrs Kal usually scores 2-3 little trinkets while we're there.

Bell Tower is American fare too. Great buffalo wings!

And Polkers is described as "neighborhood place...Saturday and Sunday mornings for overflowing skillets and scrambles.
The all-American menu switches gears to burgers and deluxe salads for lunch and dinner. 2226 Polk St."

We saw Jersey Boys last weekend. Some 4 letter words and "adult situations" so you are warned. quot;>
BUT...an excellent show.

Would "Menopause: The Musical" be too much for the kids?
It's at Pier 39 so you can go have a pizza at North Beach Pizza at Pier 39 afterwords??
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM

I agree with Kal about "Jersey Boys" and mature language/situations. How about the Metreon? Lots of teen things to do. Check it out at metreon.com
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM

How could I forget Urban Outfitters? 80 Powell Street--great teen shopping!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM

The kids might like the Exploratorium, a hands-on display of scientific principles. Hmm- how to describe it? It is FUN! Walking tours are fun, walking up (or down or both) the Filbert Street Steps or the Greenwich St. Steps to Coit Tower. Golden Gate Park. Chinatown (try Hunan Homes Restaurant on Jackson st. between Grant and Kearny).
Yes, Urban Outfitters for shopping (on Powell St. a block or so from Union Square). Eat at Cafe Macaroni in North Beach (sit upstairs if possible). Ride the Cable Car to Fisherman's Wharf and take the historic "F" trolley line from there through the Embarcadero and up Market Street, getting off at Powell.
Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge if it's not too windy. It will always be VERY windy on the bridge, even on a hot day. Beach Blanket Babylon is a fun musical but under 21ers can only go to a matinee.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM

Beach Blanket Babylon is an excellant idea and it would work for your family Kari as on Sunday's they have two mantinees which allow attendance by minors. 2:00 or 5:00pm.

Here is the official website:http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/

Note: You will be in SF on Sunday March 11th so that would work for you BUT keep in mind Daylight Savings Time starts that day..so be sure to change the time on your watches!!

If you went to the 5:00pm mantinee you could have dinner in NorthBeach afterwards as you will be right there, which no doubt everyone would enjoy. You would need to reserve your tickets ASAP.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM

For young girls, how about afternoon tea at one of the plush San Francisco hotels? Also try ethnic cuisine you haven't sampled, lots of fine local ethnic restaurants abound. sfgate.com has restaurant reviews, as well as reviews for current theater/musical productions.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions for San Fran with our 2 teen girls. The walks, shows, stores, ferry blg, street venders, cable car, & walk across GG all sound great. I'll figure out an itinerary & ask you all if it sounds feasible.

THANKS SO MUCH!
~Kari
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM

There's an H&M in downtown SF now. They will thank you for taking them there

Our niece just turned 15 yesterday. She got bday $$ and has big plans for H&M.

Walk from Russian Hill down to North Beach and over into Chinatown. Your girls will probably like the stores in Chinatown. Those satin or black cloth maryjanes can be a big hit.(you'll see them everywhere)

Saturdays the Ferry Building has a great Farmers Market and there are indoor vendors as well.

Golden Gate Park is lovely. Get a map and pick out some places to visit.

Walk along Crissy Field. You will have the bay before you and the GG Bridge above you. It's a fabulous walk.
Check out lunch at Greens(Vegetarian) or A16 Italian. Greens is in Ft Mason and a16 is in the Marina.