Reload this Page >

San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Jane kapur

We have one day to spend in San Diego ("We" being myself, my husband, my 21-year old son and 22 year old daughter in law) I'm seeking recommendations on whether to go to the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park. RE: Wild Animal Park---Do we need to book a special tour or just go and explore?
We are going on Monday, August 14 or Tuesday, August 15. Thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Julie

I'd choose the Wild Animal Park over the Zoo because you get to see the animals interacting in groups with one another. It's a unique experience you won't get elsewhere. Your ticket includes the monorail tour and all of the shows. We really enjoyed the Bird Show! Try to get there first thing when they open and get in line immediately for the monorail. Those lines get really long later in the day and the animals are more active early in the morning.

The Zoo is great too and we really enjoyed spending a good hour watching the gorillas and another hour watching the polar bears. Both groups were incredibly active when we visited on an overcast day this May.

Have a great trip and bring plenty of film!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Ben

WAP is nice, and the monorail ride is a good way to get an overview of the place when you first arrive, but go first thing to avoid lines.
Actually I enjoyed the Zoo a little more, but you won't go wrong with either.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:01 AM
kam

As posted above you won't go wrong with either. The Zoo is a classic old fashioned zoo but has wonderful animals who are very well kept. The Wild Animal Park is animals in a natural habitat and we (the people) are kept on a tram. Know that if the weather is going to be quite hot, it will be cooler at the Zoo than up at the Animal Park which is quite a way inland.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 02:36 PM
jamie

Jane,

They are both great, but Wild Animal Park is my favorite and agree with Julie, get there early and go straight to the monorail (you also have a better chance of seeing the lions & tigers who usually sleep in the afternoon). The Bird Show and Wild America show are both good, forget the Elephant show IMO. Also go hike the short "Heart of Africa" trail (you can buy food and feed the gifaffes if you want).

Kam is correct as usual, the WAP is inland and warmer than the Zoo.

If you have an interest in photography, they do have special photografic tours/safaris but you have to sign up in advance normally. Haven't done this yet.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 06:43 PM
dee

Here's another vote for the Wild Animal Park. Don't get me wrong, the zoo is also nice, but I prefer the environment of the WAP over the zoo. Another thing to consider is location. The zoo is located somewhat centrally in San Diego, whereas the WAP is in Escondido, which is about 35 to 40 minutes northeast of the zoo. I don't know if that makes any difference to you or not. I just thought I'd mention it. Wherever you go, have a great time.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Terry

Yet another vote for the Wild Animal Park. Just remember it is inland about 30 miles and will be much hotter than the city of San Diego and the zoo, so be prepared. (Don't miss the butterfly aviary.)

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 07:51 PM
Louis

People have failed to notice. You only have one day. The Zoo is in Balboa Park with has a wealth of other places to visit. Without an auto, there is no sensible way to visit the Wild Animal Park. Go to the Zoo as early as it opens then visit places in easy walking distance such as the San Diego Art Museum, the Museaum of Natural History, the Museum of Man, the Japanese Villiage and the list still goes on. There are many places to eat in the park and I think they sell a museum pass. This is the cultural center of San Diego. If you still have time you can go to Old Town and the Gas Lamp District in the evening or even a play in two places in the park. Believe me I am steering you staight as I have lived in San Diego for over 50 years.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 12:17 PM
Louis

Thanks for your sage advice. I think I'll follow it. Even though many have recommended the Wild Animal Park, you were right about the one day---plus I live in Florida yet hate the heat, so if it's even a tad cooler at the zoo, I'm all for it! I know I'll enjoy it!

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Candace

I enjoyed the SD zoo better than the WAP
partly because it was 100 degrees the day we went to the WAP. We had a long time to wait to get on the Monrail. Though it was a neat park and had good hiking. We went to the zoo and spent the
whole day there except for a few hours in the afternoon when went to the Marina area of the city. The laser light show at night was incredible if they still do that.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:09 AM
gerri

Hi Jane,

Just returned from San Deigo, last week.
Top on my list was the world famous zoo. I expected to spent an hour there in order to see the pandas. Guess what - after 5 hours I only saw probably 1/2 of the zoo. As the poster mentioned above the zoo is older but is a haven for endanganed wildlife in some cases the animals you see are so rare that only a handful are left on earth. A little know fact is the zoo is also the home to the largest endanged botanical park in the world as well. The best way to do the zoo is early in the morning. During the summer it opens before 9:00. Panda viewing is only between 8-10:30am. Buy a ticket that includes the "kangaroo" bus.
The zoo is built amid very steep hills and valleys and this bus gives you the advantage of being able to get on and off the bus throughout the zoo plus the guides are great. Really enjoyed the primates - don't miss them they put on a great show!

The zoo is located in Balboa Park - what a treasure. If you can allot the morning to the zoo and the afternoon to the Museums you'll have a unforgetable day.

For dinner outside table at "Croece's during the evening they have live jazz or R&B.

Enjoy! Please let us know all about the trip when you return.

By the way I wore a sweater all day at the zoo - highs 78 and overcast.