Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego with young kids, besides the obvious, what should we do?

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I JUST booked flights for us to take our boys (6,6,7) to San Diego for their Fall Break. I know we will go to the Zoo and Legoland. I would also like to spend one day visiting the Midway and Children's Pool and a visit to the Star of India if we can fit it in. Coronado Beach and the del are also on my list. What else? What are good restaurants?

I grew up in Coronado but it has been so long since I have lived there I have more or less forgotten all of this.

Thanks for any help.

taitai
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM

If the kids like model trains, then visit the model train museum in Balboa Park.

The Natural history museum there is also interesting.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sea World, Wild Animal Park. If still playing, a Padres game.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM

If you like dogs, stop by the dog beach in Ocean Beach. There is also one on Coronado, but it's not as "pupulated". We go to SD every year and spend hours just walking the dog beach watching the dogs play.

Be sure to go to Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Great burgers and shakes - the kids will love it.

We went to the Wild Animal Park, didn't like it as well as the Zoo, but the SD Zoo is hard to beat.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Legoland just opened a water park which would be a huge hit with your kids and their age range.

Wild Animal Park has a sleepover with luxury tents and the kids and adults go wild sleeping in the park at night.

Belmont Park in Mission Beach has wave ride which is fun and the roller coaster oceanfront..you can rent bikes on the boardwalk.

Balboa Park has the railroad museum.

Brigantine restaurant has one of the best fish tacos and its an everyday happy hour and kids are welcome!
They have one in Coronado across from the Del.

If you go to Hodad's, be prepared to wait awhile..us locals call it in and eat on the burgers on the beach.

In and Out Burgers is a famous So. Cal. fast food that is quite good for easy peasy and cheap too.

Midway is excellent for the kids..eat at the Fish Market next door.
I prefer the oyster bar and sushi restaurant vs. the restaurant, but its bayfront and great fresh fish.

Del Mar Racetrack is a family event..more for the adults but they have the infield for picnics and the kids love the horses.
ends around the first week of Sept..don't know when fall break starts.

El Indio on India street has great Mex but most taco shops anywhere in SD are some of the best in the USA.
Roberto's in Solana Beach is one of my favorites.

La Jolla, Sammy's Wood Fire Pizza is a huge hit with the kids and the messy sundae is legendary and good to split for all.
Alfonso's for Mex in LJ and George's on the cove and eat upstairs on the ocean terrace.

Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Ksucat

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. My parents used to eat at the Brigantine in Coronado ALL the time. We will HAVE to go there. El Indio as well.

My grandfather taught me how to read a racing form at the Del Mar racetrack. However, we will be there in October, so too late.

I want to go to the Star of India as I remember so many field trips there as a kid.

Think we will only do the Zoo this trip. Think the Zoo and WAP might be animal overkill.

Love all the advice. Keep it coming.

taitai
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM

You will probably be going out to the Cabrillo National Monument. They now have something for kids called the Junior Ranger program. The kids learn a few prescribed things, demonstrate to a Ranger that they know them, and then they get a Junior Ranger badge! See:

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/forkids/index.htm

I want one! Waaah!
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I definitely second the Cabrillo Monument for the view that you get of the Harbor.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In October it could easily be very warm, so time playing on a beach would be good. The ocean water will be chilly, but fine for paddling.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM

I didn't see any mention the Children's Museum in downtown. It is pretty cool. Also, if you go to Legoland, there is a brand new Museum of Making Music nearby(above the Flower Fields - Palomar Airport Road Exit). Most people don't know it is there, but it is really cool. At the end of the museum, they have a room with lots of instruments (all with headphones). The kids can play till their heart's content. We took my friends kids there and spent over an hour in the last room. Way Cool!
The Stephen Birch Aquarium has great interactive elements and of course a nice tide pool. I used to love to take my kids tidepooling (make sure you check the tide charts to determine low tide.) Their are nice spots under the Ocean Beach Pier (can do this along with Hodads - yummy, filling), or up in La Jolla if you do the Children's Pool.
Do you need reccommendations of new places to stay or are you all set with that?