Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego With Kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-with-kids-465805/)

cballas Aug 9th, 2004 09:24 AM

San Diego With Kids?

3 boy, 10, 8 and 7. Any ideas of what else to do besides the Zoo, Seaworld, LegoLand and Wild Animal Park. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

mikemo Aug 9th, 2004 09:27 AM

ttt

sfowler Aug 9th, 2004 09:31 AM

A cruise of the harbor.
The Old Town area is interesting and would have fun for kids.
The Old Town Trolley is fun to take around.
Balboa Park -- the botanical building and one of the museums would be good too. [I can't remember which museum:)]

Be prepared at the zoo to walk a lot. Next visit I would spend the extra $$$ for unlimited tram rides. You'll be glad you did.

malvado Aug 9th, 2004 09:40 AM

Pt. Loma tidepools (during low tide, of course!), Belmont Park in Mission Beach (old school coaster and other hokey amusement rides), Corvette Diner in Hillcrest (50's diner with fun burgers).

the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. Not in a league with Monterey or Newport, but good enough for the critters. Afterwards, take them next door to the Torrey Pines glider port to watch the hang/para gliders. and if they still have the energy, go for a walk through the reserve (one of the nicest walks in the county).

While at Balboa Park (for the zoo), you could take a spin on the little railroad, or carousel.

if your kids would enjoy a boat ride, and without dropping a bunc of cash on a harbor tour, you could take the ferry for a 15 minute crossing to coronado (for a buck or two each way). a few blocks down the street from the ferry landing on the sd side, there's the tourist trap affectionatelhy known as Seaport Village which also has a carousel and shops.

and that's it for the top of my head.

have fun!

sceneisle Aug 9th, 2004 10:51 AM

Rent a kayak in Mission Bay or kayak tour at La Jolla Cove.

bigtyke Aug 9th, 2004 10:51 AM

In addition to all the above suggestions which are excellent, I would add seeing all the ships at the harbor - Star of India is a sialing ship, the aircraft carrier Midway, and one I can't rememeber.

There are lots of museums at Balboa Park - we always liked the science museum and the model railway museum - thereare others as well.

You can take the SD trolley between old town and Seaport Village (or Santa Fe station) which are a very short walk to the ships.

You didn't mention going to the beach - rent boogie boards and ride the waves.

ssm Aug 9th, 2004 10:54 AM

Take them to a Padres baseball game, if they are in town. You should be able to get some reasonably priced general admission tickets if you are on a budget. I would also agree with the beach recommendation. We just got back yesterday from San Diego and it was great.

Barbara Aug 9th, 2004 11:03 AM

This article, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, appeared in our local newspaper, the San Diego Union Tribune, yesterday. You may find it helpful.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...mz1c8rowe.html

beentheretwice Aug 9th, 2004 11:40 AM

If you have a car, you might consider taking a hike in the dessert. I took my two kids, then 7 & 9, to the Anzo Borrego Nat'l Park. They have a hike out to a real live, honest to goodness, oasis. It can get hot, so consider the weather temps when you go. We were there in the spring.

We also packed roller blades and skated around Mission Bay.

The other suggestions listed here are all good.

You might want to reconsider LegoLand. There is so much else to do that you might not even need to go there.

ltt Aug 9th, 2004 12:37 PM

my suggestion is to NOT overbook. most kids who get rushed from one "park" to the next usually get pretty grumpy after a couple of days. most of my nieces and nephews said they just wanted to hang around the beach or the pool when given the choice of what to do for a 1/2 day or day. rent boogie boards and they'll play in the water for hours (not to mention how much money you'll save). rent roller blades and go along the boardwalk and then cross over the the bay side by mission beach. exploring the tide pools by la jolla cove or out at cabrillo is usually enjoyable for your age group. take a pick nik and have supper down on sunset cliffs one night. it's great down there. pick up some wood and try to grab a fire pit on mission bay for a winnie roast.

dbabmbjb Aug 9th, 2004 12:54 PM

Good suggestions. I agree regarding beach time and boogie boards. What is the "best" beach in San Diego/La Jolla/Coronado for good boogie board waves?

malvado Aug 9th, 2004 03:31 PM

the surf is fairly tame and good for kids at coronado.

Barbara Aug 9th, 2004 03:41 PM

dbabmbjb, La Jolla Shores and Del Mar at 15th street where the lifeguard station is.

J_Correa Aug 9th, 2004 03:53 PM

I agree with the others about not over scheduling and taking plenty of time to just hang out. San Diego is a town where hanging out is very important.

mclaurie Aug 9th, 2004 05:20 PM

How about some sports lessons? Surfing? Saw signs for lessons at the Catamaran Hotel but I'm sure there are other spots too. Golf lessons? Torrey Pines.

Heavens Aug 10th, 2004 06:33 AM

Dave and Busters in Mission Valley is fun. Kids LOVE In and Out Burger, local drive through that only have burgers and fries. Some of the best and real cheap. Rueben H Fleet Imax Theater in Balboa Park. All of Balboa Park for walking. Lots of fun on weekends with street performers and crowds. Balboa Park is adjacent to the Zoo. Wonderful place. I love the archetecture. Also good place for family picture. Very scenic.