San Diego with a 19 month old...what to do?

Feb 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

San Diego with a 19 month old...what to do?

My husband and I will be going to San Diego in July with our very active 19 month old daughter and are trying to come up with fun outings for her. We are definitely going to the San Diego Zoo (she loves animals) but we were also thinking about Disneyland...will she be too young for that? We could always go to Sea World too but she has already been to the one in FL and we thought doing something new would be fun for her. We will do the beach thing a couple of days but I am still looking for other ideas. I'll take any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Most likely too young for Disneyland especially when you consider how long of a drive to get there. LegoLand is there and is for kids. Where are you staying in SD?
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

We are staing in Mission Valley at a Worldmark timeshare. I was looking at Legoland as well, is that geared more for younger kids?
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM

If she loves animals DO go to Sea World.
Yes, you've already been to the one in Florida but she's not going to complain about going again. Will she even remember the Florida visit by the time July rolls around!?

I also think Disneyworld is too far away.
Feb 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM

She'll probably like playing on the beach best of all.

Little kids like doing the same thing over and over, so another trip to Sea World, if she liked it the first time, wouldn't hurt. However, I think there's too much waiting in line and sitting waiting for a perfomance to start and then sitting through the show for Sea World to be a really great place for such young children. And that's after taking my own three, now adults, often and at all ages.
Feb 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
lvk

If she loves animals, then you could also try the Wild Animal Park. It is more of a safari-type setting. Legoland is also great for toddlers. I would also suggest skipping Disneyland.
Feb 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
dmlove

19 months is too young for Disneyland. We took my son when he was 3-1/2 and that was a perfect age for a first Disneyland experience.

Feb 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Maybe she would like just running through Balboa Park. There's a playground there.

Feb 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank all so much for your replies. You all confirmed what I was already thinking, 19 months is just too young. We were thinking about Legoland as well but hadn't heard anything about it.
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Legoland is geared to kids ages 10 and under. It's a bright, colorful clean, not too big place. Your toddler will enjoy it.
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM

We started taking our daughter to legoland at that age and she just loved it. Very kid friendly and geared toward younger children. You can buy discount tickets to legoland at our costcos here in town. They may be available online.

The Wild Animal Park is great but it may be too hot during the day in July. However things like Sea World, the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park have night time hours so you could go there in the late afternoon and stay in the evening for dinner.

Try also Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. Lots of fish to see and the exhibits are good.

There is a great playground in Mission Bay that she would love. You could combine it with renting bikes at the Hilton (get a kiddie carrier) and you could tour around Mission Bay and Mission Beach.

Balboa Park is a good suggestions. There is a carousel and kiddie train (check the hours of operation) and you could visit the train museum if she likes that sort of thing and get lunch at the Prado or Waters.

La Jolla Shores is a good beach for kiddies, there is a playground at the beach. However go early for a parking spot in the lot or later park on the street.

Feb 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I just stumbled across this blog/website about San Diego (from another blog listed as a Best Travel Blog in the magazine Real Simple)... thought it might be helpful to you:

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/travel/usa/ca/san-diego/

We just took my 5 year old to Legoland so I didn't get to view it from a young toddler's perspective but I suspect your daughter will love it. I think it's expensive but my parents (who live in Orange County) found discount tickets through the local grocery store but I think Costco sells them too.

Looks like there is a new and improved Children's Museum opening up in May - those are always good bets.
Feb 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM

19 months old would love any where w/ parents/their love cushions as long as they get fed & enough sleep.

What you want to do is take some time out for the toddler to run around in a park, clean nice place, or toy stores. That works for my little girl.

For more children parks, Lego land is a hit for kids; lots of water play ( bring swim suit, towel, clothing to change). I like Lego land; it is colorful, nice lush landscape to relax. There is a large play park fit kids under 5, mini train ride, water fountains area, indoor block play area. The rest of the park is for older kids. It is as expensive as Seaworld but you can get discount coupon ($5off) fr. (update later).

The zoo is a good choice, too. Balboa park is a nice stroll & grass for the the little one to run. If you are in town on a Tue, check to see which museum there give free admission. Kid City in Ruben Fleet ( in Balboa Bark) is free on the first Tue. Your little girl would enjoy it. Get there before 10AM or it will be crazy/crowded like a zoo.

I'm not impressed w/ Children Museum, though.

For Disney Land & Seaworld, I would wait until she is 4 to get the most out of the park. Go there on the weekday; weekend is super crowded, especially in summer. I remember got pushed at the entrance of a show! It was a waste of $$$ for all 4 of us since my little 2 yrs old was interested only in the Harbor play area; he would not sit still to watch the shows & no interest in the fishes back then. Maybe, every kids is different.

The beach will be fun for her. Most of the beach has the play equipment nearby as well.

Check out Seaport Village; a nice place to stroll & has some grassy area for her to run around.
Feb 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Check back in June/Jule to get coupon for that month:

http://www.cafunspots.com/he_coupons.html

Kid City:
http://www.rhfleet.org/site/exhibiti...y/kidcity.html
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM

august:

Please post back how your trip works out and enjoy beautiful San Diego.

Great thread - saving for when the grand children get to visit San Diego.

Thanks iowamom and kayla for the links - excellent.

Sandy
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all your replies. I have to look at our local Costco to see if I can get discount tickets for Legoland here. I am dreading our 6 hour flight with a 19 month old, but I think once we get there it will be very enjoyable. If anyone else thinks of anything I would love to hear it.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM

Raplh's currently has Legoland ticktes @ $47 for adults (at child's price). That is $12 off fr. the reg addmission. It can be used by 12/31/08. Sale ends Apr 5. Not sure it is @ CA-only Raplh's. YMMV.
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Long's currently has $10 off coupon for Legoland. YMMV.