Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego - Where? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-where-663996/)

MONDAYCG Dec 12th, 2006 07:31 PM

San Diego - Where?

My wife and I are planning a trip to San Diego for a week - 25th Dec - 1 Jan.
I need some suggestions regarding where to stay?I have Marriot Rewards points, so it has to be Marriot. We'll be renting a car for a week.Thanks for your suggestions..

MONDAYCG Dec 12th, 2006 07:44 PM

I am looking at some of the previous reviews and there are suggestions for:
Marriott Resort and Marina
Marriot Coronado..

Pls advice, which one??

vivi Dec 12th, 2006 08:36 PM

I like the San Diego Marriott and Marina. This is a HUGE complex, very bustling, great location within walking distance of the Gaslamp, Seaport Village, and the waterfront. San Diego will be very busy that week for the Holiday Bowl, fun time to be there but it will be packed.

egret Dec 12th, 2006 11:48 PM

I, too would recommend the Marriott at the marina. It is a lovely area right on the water next to a great little shopping area called Seaport Village.

tom42 Dec 13th, 2006 06:09 AM

I also recommend the Martiott Marina - I have stayed there twice - nice hotel and GREAT location.

J_Correa Dec 13th, 2006 10:56 AM

I enjoyed the Marriot Coronado. I haven't stayed at the Marina, so I can't compare the 2 hotels though.

The Marriot Coronado has nice rooms - comfy beds, quality linens, nice-sized bathrooms. The rooms also have a large balcony - ours faced the neighborhood, so the views weren't great, but the other side of the hotel faces downtown and the balconies had very good views. The pool area was nice - faces the water and downtown, has some ponds and waterfalls. It is outdoor, so you probably wont be swimming this time of year though ;) The hotel staff were really great.

I liked being on Coronado rather than in SD proper because of the relaxation - just a feeling of being a bit removed from things. The water taxi dock that takes you to downtown is very close though, which makes going downtown very convinient.

kimamom Dec 13th, 2006 12:19 PM

We were in Coronado last week for 3 nights at the Hotel Del Coronado. I also loved the feeling of the Coronado area. You could go over to the Del and look around. The Sheerwater and 1500 Ocean are both great places to eat there. We also enjoyed Miguel's and the Rhinoceros Cafe on Coronado and the beach there is very nice. :)

We experienced some great weather last week, sunning and swimming at the Del and the Montage each morning. ***kim*** ((#))

sylvia3 Dec 13th, 2006 02:44 PM

The Courtyard is on the edge of the Gaslamp district, and a grand old converted bank. Location to trolley is less than a block, and that will take you to old town, the convention center, the pier, etc. The car cost is $24/day, though; don't know if there are better deals outside of town.

Kerry392 Dec 13th, 2006 06:33 PM

The Marriott Marina Hotel is very nice! Like others said, it is within walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter and Seaport Village. Plus, it is a beautiful hotel! Our room was very nice.
My husband is a Platinum guest; we went over the weekend so there was no lounge open and he asked for a breakfast coupons. They gave us coupons for the breakfast buffet!

Kealoha Dec 14th, 2006 01:17 AM

The Marina has a better location--close to everything. But since you'll be renting a car, the Marriott in Coronado might be a good option: its located in the Coronado Island, you can see downtown lights at night--very pretty, has a nice walking/jogging trail, close to some small shops. Coronado is a little quieter location but you'd to drive to get to the major places which is not too far--probably 5-10 minutes from downtown where the Gas Lamp area is located and the Horton Plaza mall.

Barbara Dec 14th, 2006 09:46 AM

The Marriott Marina would be your best bet. They still have rooms avilable, but book soon. Not only can you walk to the Gaslamp restaurants and shops from here, but you can get the Trolley to Old Town, Fashion Valley, Mission San Diego de Alcala or even the Embarcadero, so you won't have to bother with driving everywhere.

As someone else mentioned, the Holiday Bowl is on Thursday, December 28th. it's played at Qualcomm Stadium and the teams this year are California and Texas A&M. If you like football, this is always a ggod game and I think there are still tickets available. You would take the Trolley to the Stadium too.