Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego Weekend - Running, Padres, and Earthquake! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-weekend-running-padres-and-earthquake-846161/)

Queenie Jun 22nd, 2010 06:08 AM

San Diego Weekend - Running, Padres, and Earthquake!

Count me a fan in the I Love San Diego Club!

My trip started by crewing my running buddy at the San Diego 100 mile endurance Run.

The race was in the Cleveland National Forest about 40 miles east of the city and it was gorgeous - rolling rocky hills with wildflowers in full bloom. The California ultra runner community is nutty but wonderful and I had a great time at this event. Next time I hope to run at least a portion of the beautiful trails.

I swapped out my running buddy for my husband at the San Diego airport and we headed to the Hyatt Manchester Grand Hotel along the waterfront.

We splurged and we had a corner room on the 29th floor with views of the city, bay and Coronado Island.

We were off to the Harbor House for lunch (OK, but not great), then we poked around the Seaport Village shops and got some cookies ( get the walnut chocolate chip). We walked the short distance to Petco Stadium where a Padres game was taking place, and moseyed in the Gaslamp district.

Since it had been over an hour since I had shoved something in my mouth, we stopped into Taka on 5th Avenue. We sat at the sushi bar next to a group of Japanese businessmen and basically ordered as they did, well except for the sake. This meal was a highlight of the trip. Really good – especially the red snapper sashimi nigiri with lime and sea salt. Heaven!

Heading back to the hotel we stopped at the Seaport Village again as there was a band playing in the gazebo and folks were dancing. What great people watching.

That night we're getting ready for bed and there seems to be so much noise. Creaking noise. Then the bed starts moving. Then the room starts swaying. I look at my husband and say, 'Is that the wind'? No, it's an earthquake! It feels like we're on a heaving boat and I am freaking. We run down 29 flights in the emergency stairwell, shockingly empty I might add, to the ground level. We are met by the ho-hum hotel staff telling us it was only a 5.7 magnitude, the hotel was built to sway, and not to worry. Heck, I'm from Chicago! That was my first, and hopefully last earthquake.

Queenie Jun 22nd, 2010 06:11 AM

The next morning I got up early for a run. I ran along the waterfront, by the Midway and to the convention Center where I ran the steps, Rocky style!

We then rented a convertible and drove out to La Mesa. Got lunch at Anthony's Fish Grotto – food overrated, and we were the only folks under 70 there.

My husband is a music lover so we toured the Taylor Guitar factory in La Mesa. The tour is about 90 minutes long and free. Pretty interesting to see the process.

That evening we attended the Padres / Blue Jays baseball game. I have one question for you local folk: WHERE ARE THE PADRES FANS?

The stadium is gorgeous. Clean. Easy access. Plentiful bathrooms (and clean). The food has endless variety, even sushi and it's wonderful. The tickets are cheap. Your team is winning. And there were only 15,000 people there.

We loved it so much also went to the game the next day: 15,000 fans.

I guess I'm used to Chicago and Wrigley where the stadium is literally falling apart, the food stinks (steamed hot dogs and Old Style Beer anyone?) the tickets are the most expensive in the league, the team hasn't been to the World Series in over 100 years, its often FREEZING, yet the crowd levels are rarely below 30 – 35,000. I don't get it!

Finally, on our last day my buddy Steve drove down from LA and we went to the Del on Coronado Island for lunch. It was a great spot along the water and the food was pretty good.

Loved the city, I would go back in a heartbeat. Just get some more folks to support those Padres!

SOCALOC Jun 22nd, 2010 06:28 AM

We run down 29 flights in the emergency stairwell, shockingly empty I might add, to the ground level. We are met by the ho-hum hotel staff telling us it was only a 5.7 magnitude, the hotel was built to sway, and not to worry. Heck, I'm from Chicago!
__________________________________________________ ___________
LOL you couldn't of said it any better than that.

I had the same experience at a Padres game a couple of weeks ago. Rather empty. I just assumed since it was a weekday afternoon that was the reason. Maybe not?

Thanks for the fun read!

Dayenu Jun 22nd, 2010 08:24 AM

"We are met by the ho-hum hotel staff telling us it was only a 5.7 magnitude" :))

Welcome to California!

sf7307 Jun 22nd, 2010 08:30 AM

<<<We run down 29 flights in the emergency stairwell, shockingly empty I might add, to the ground level>>>

Well, why would you run to ground level - so the building could fall on you? :-)

MomDDTravel Jun 22nd, 2010 08:47 AM

Queenie - glad you enjoyed one of my favorite places in the world :) Dh and I got married @ the Marriott right next to the Hyatt. The Hyatt is a great hotel - would not want to be there in an earthquake though - yikes.

Petco is one of my favorite ballparks ~ we are headed down in August. I was curious why you went to La Mesa :) - but you explained that.

tchoiniere Jun 22nd, 2010 09:00 AM

Great trip. I love Petco Park as its one of my favorites as well. Been there for 1 earthquake (much smaller magnitude).

Barbara Jun 22nd, 2010 09:05 AM

The Pads were playing the Blue Jays. 'Nuff said.

sf7307 Jun 22nd, 2010 09:31 AM

Barbara, I was thinking the same thing.

ksucat Jun 22nd, 2010 10:59 AM

LOL Barbara and sf..Blue Jay's, wouldn't waste my time or $$.
SD LOVE the Padres..we just are picky as to whom we go to see!

Glad you had a great trip!
The 5.7 was a decent earthquake..you ran 29 floors down...:))

Cali Jun 22nd, 2010 10:20 PM

Loved your report as we also love San Diego and try to get down there as often as possible. Also loved your description of your experience being in the earthquake at the Hyatt. I have lived in S. CA for many years and I still would not have wanted to be in any of the hotels during a 5.7.

Queenie Jun 23rd, 2010 09:38 AM

Everyone seems to make fun of us for leaving the hotel during the earthquake. Was that wrong? Can someone tell me what the safe procedure is? This was new to me.

I guess I kept thinking of the twin towers, where my husband used to work. If folks had left when the emergency had first happened, fewer folks would have died. So thats why I guess I was so hell bent to get out of the hotel, even though it was not the same disaster.

But maybe that was wrong?

sf7307 Jun 23rd, 2010 10:35 AM

Queenie, we're all Californians who are just teasing you :-) If the EQ isn't at least a 6.5, we don't even blink!

The appropriate response, however, is to move away from windows, and stand in a doorway (structural support) or get under a very heavy table.

SOCALOC Jun 23rd, 2010 10:55 AM

Everyone seems to make fun of us for leaving the hotel during the earthquake. Was that wrong? Can someone tell me what the safe procedure is? This was new to me.
__________________________________________________ ___________
We're laughing with you, not at you. I'm a native and would have done the same thing, even though it's not recommended. Sure, if I am ground level I'll go to a doorway. On the 29th floor? I say run. :) And you were very smart not to use the elevator. Like sf7307 said- it just takes a bit more for us to react.

SusanCS Jun 23rd, 2010 11:18 AM

I'm properly freaked :( We'll be in San Diego in early August and are staying on the 32nd floor of the Manchester Grand Hyatt. I've considered asking my husband to rebook us in a lower room, but we're on a concierge floor and I hate to give up something so nice.

Personally, I think in case of an earthquake - of any magnitude - I could make it down those stairs in record time, but I'm positive my husband couldn't. The idea of a swaying buiding makes me want to break in hives.

Am I crazy? Is there a particular time of year when earthquakes are more prevalent? Like now?

vova Jun 23rd, 2010 11:23 AM

susancs - please calm down :). enjoy your time in San Diego on the 32nd floor. Don't change your reservation.

tchoiniere Jun 23rd, 2010 11:58 AM

Ive slept through an earthquake out there and Im a light sleeper. Nothing to worry about,

maitaitom Jun 23rd, 2010 12:46 PM

"Can someone tell me what the safe procedure is?"

As someone who has felt a good number of So Cal shakers, I usually look at the cats. If they're not worried, I turn over and go back to sleep.

((H))

MomDDTravel Jun 23rd, 2010 01:59 PM

Susan - you are fine - enjoy your time in San Diego. It is lovely in August.

SusanCS Jun 23rd, 2010 02:48 PM

Okay, I'm feeling a little better. Thanks everyone...maitaitom, may I borrow your cats?