Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego - Walking From Sea World to Belmont Park

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Leah

Hi,

From the maps in my Fodors book it looks like only about a 2 mile walk from Sea World over to Belmont Park. My Kids want spend the day at Sea World then walk over tp Belmont Park to ride the roller coaster and just bum around. This appears doable. Is it? FYI, we are big vacation walkers and think nothing about walking a couple of miles to/from our destinations. Kids are 16 & 24. Does a couple of miles seem right? Any input would be appreciated. Leah

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Joe

San Diego is the most ped-unfriendly city I have experienced. Although the distance is short, you will find no decent sidewalks/walkways and drivers that really don't pay attention to pedestrians.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Emily

As a life-long San Diego resident, I agree with the poster above. It may look like a reasonable distance on the map, but I wouldn't undertake it on foot myself.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:02 PM
lcuy

I'm visiting San Diego today and remembered that being a nice area to roller skate and ride my bike during my teens. So here are the FACTS:
Come out of Sea World's main entrance and go straight across Ingraham Street. There is a stop light. There are small green signs that say bike route- Mission Beach. The road goes left then winds to the right around the marina. There is no sidewalk for about 200 yards, but it is a very wide street with little traffic. After that there is not only a bike bath, but a nice wide sidewalk and grass. When they come to the stop light at W Mission Bay Drive, turn right (again there will be a bicycle sign indicating Mission Beach) and continue on down to Belmont Park. The kids will see the roller coaster the whole way, and with the exception of the first leg, there will be bikes and people strolling the whole time. Total distance: 1.4 miles!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Leah

Thank You All!!! I think we might have to give the walk a try. I appreciate the information.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:32 PM
kevin

don't know why you're thanking all...two of them gave you personal opinions that were worthless. the point of this forum is to help others and part of that is giving correct information. The first two replies would have led me to discard the walking plan, when in fact it sounds rather a nice stroll.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Leah

Kevin, Just common courtesy. After all, they did take the time to reply and give their personal opinion. Sorry if I offended you. I try and treat the computer the same way I would a face to face conversation. If the four of us had been standing around in the office break room talking about my vacation, I would have thanked them all for trying to help. Leah

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Barbara

Leah: I happened to be in that area today, so I drove the route you sould take from Sea World to the roller coaster. It was just under 2 miles, and exactly the route lcuy described. The road you cross to is also marked Dana Landing. I also noted that Sea World closes at 11pm, I know they have fireworks every night and I know we're always pretty exhausted after a day there - not only walking around and standing in line, but being in the sun so much (make sure you take sunscreen and wear hats!).I don't know what time the roller coaster closes. You will have a great time whatever you do

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Leah

Barbara, Amazing!! Thank you for taking the time. I truly appreciate it. We will start Sea World at opening one morning and plan to stay until late afternoon. We have been to the Sea World in San Antonion before so we don't have to take in every nook and cranny this time. We thought we would leave around 5 or so then walk over to the Belmont Park and have some fun there for the remainder of the evening. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. We can hardly wait!! We leave two weeks from today. We can't wait to escape this Texas heat!!! Leah