Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego (w/ kids) rental---beach or bayside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our extended family---grandparents, two couples with 5 kids total---are gathering in San Diego for a week mid-May, and I'm looking for three (separate, for the sanity of all involved) accommodations to rent. Mission Beach looks good for us---close to sand, a bit funky, hopefully some good cheap food nearby, and there seem to be cottages and condos to rent.

So here's my question: With kids, ages 2--10, should we look for a place on the beach side or the bayside? I've heard that the water in the bay isn't the cleanest for swimming, and regardless of the temperature, these kids are at least going to take a dip. (Here's a site with the locations we're looking at: www.beachnbayside.com)

Other than that, am I right in thinking this is a cool place for families with kids to hang out for a week? We're going to be doing all the usual stuff (Sea World, possibly zoo, etc), but we also like to play outside a lot and eat great food.

Thanks for your responses!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Mission beach is a good place to vacation. The beachside is a lot more lively then the bayside. With kids I would defiantly recommend the beachside if they like the beach and to play in the sand. The bayside I think is for the older crowd or people who want to kayak and sail. The water is cleaner on beach and that's where most people swim. Of course in May the water is still pretty cold. The Bahia hotel, which is walking distance, has a seal pond that is open to the public, and the Boardwalk has a small roller coaster and other rides and games. Enjoy your vacation!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:46 PM

dleto

Here's a vote for the beach side.

Sandy
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM

dleto

Ocean Park Inn in on the beach. Includes compoimentary continental breakfast, free underground parking, mini refrigerators and microwaves. Go to www.oceanparkin.com

Another suggestion is The Inn at Sunset Cliffs www.innatsunsetcliffs.com
Overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Has large heated outdoor swimming pool. Free parking on the side of the building or street. No direct access to the beach here but awesome views. Some of the units have fully-equpped kitchens. Free breakfast on weekends. Call the hotel direct for lower rates.

We have stayed at both of these hotels and would do so again.

If you have not done so go to ww.sandiego.org for offers on where to stay, coupons and tons of information. Request a free visitors planning guide.

Sandy
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like the beach side is the way to go. We'll be renting cottages, though, so we're not looking for a hotel.

If anyone has recommendations for good food in the area, I'd love to hear them. We're looking for casual, kid-friendly places and places with good takeout.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:16 PM

I live in San Diego and every year my neighbors rents a series of condos in mission beach on the beach side (ocean front walk). It turns out the condos are owned by the parents of my son's guitar teacher. the condos can be found at kelleyvacation rentals.com. Jim Kelley is the owner and his number is (858) 488-1627. We have gone done there to hang with them and they have been very pleased with their annual weekly rental. If you decide to go the hotel route, my guests have been happy at the Mission Bay Hilton-the kids like the grounds and pool.

As far as eats for takeout here are my suggestions:

1. Point Loma Seafood-this is a san diego institution located on emerson st on the water in point loma. It is a fresh seafood market that has to go food, things like a combo plate (crab cake, fish and shrimp) etc great tuna fish sandwiches. It is everyone's favorite and is open until 6:30 or 7 p.m. (depending on time of year)

2. Pizza Nova is also on the water and has California Pizza kitchen style pizza. Our kids have also loved it and they are very good about kids. It is in point loma right very near pointloma seafoods.

3. Waters Fine Foods to Go-Okay I worked there last year but the food is really good. Waters is a catering company who opened a to go counter because people love their food so much. They have an assortment of sandwiches, salads, desserts and about 5 entrees every night. You could grab items for a picnic or if you don't feel like cooking dinner, you can get things there. They are located on Morena Blvd. (near Seaworld). They are opened from Tuesday to Saturday until 6 p.m. They also have a location at the Museum of Art.

4. Corvette Diner-I don't really like this place because I think the food has gone downhill, but my kids love it. It is a 50's diner, the waitstaff dresses up in costume and it is loud. They have burgers, salads, and milkshakes. It is on 5th avenue in hillcrest.

5. For Mexican Food, people in san diego are all over the map. Our takeout place that we like is called El Cuervo (located on Washington St. in Mission Hills). A main tourist area that people like is Bazzar Del Muendo-however it is set to close either March 15 or by May. (huge state controversy about its closing) So if you want Mexican food in old town, we like Old Town Mexican Cafe -carnitas are their speciality.

For Coronado- you could take your kids to tour the Midway, then leave your car there and take the ferry from the pier over to Coronado. Two places at the pier in Coronado are Il Fornaio (Italian) and Peohe's (seafood) Both restaturants have great views of the city and the ferry crossing (which is about 30 minutes long is fun for the kids and cheap).

The difficult thing about your question is you want good food, but also casual kid friendly places. San Diego has a lot of great restaurants, but whether your kids could handle them is the questions. If you thing they can, let me know and I can make more recommendations. The places that I have mentioned are favorites of my 8 and 13 yr. old.

Hope this helps, itsv.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
itsv,and did you ask Jim Kelley if he minds that you posted his phone number on the internet? Some things are better done off the board.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:53 AM

dleto, here are some ideas for cheap eats near the beach...Any Rubios has wonderful Mexican food to go. We LOVE their fish tacos and low carb chicken salad. All of their stuff is good. Also In and Out Burger. Kids and adults love it and the price is right and it is good. Just burgers and fries and shakes.

Along Garnet is a sushi bar (among many) that we love called Ichiban. Very reasonable. There are a lot of places that offer pretty cheap decent food near the beach. They are catering to the tourists and beach crowd.

World Famous and Green Flash are pretty good and reasonable. Stay away from Joe's Crab Shack which is known for unidentified fried objects. There is also a Pizzeria Uno on North Mission which is good. If you want to go out to eat on a Friday or Saturday night, I would make a reservation or go early. These places can sometimes have hour to hour and a half waits. Oh yea, almost forgot, one of our favorites, Nicks at the Beach. VERY good food.

Since you will be in a beach cottage it must have a kitchen, right? So many of us go to a grocery store (there is one there on North Mission, Ralphs I think) and load up for the week with stuff for sandwiches and meat to throw on a grill (you might check to make sure there is a BBQ at your cottage).

A couple of places at the beach have delivery. Gabbianos comes to mind, pizza and Italian food that is pretty good. I think there are some gyro places up and down Mission BLVD. Food is everywhere, more on N Mission than South.

Have fun and wear lots of suncreen. Also have the kids wear something on their tops b/c the sand and waves can really be rough on the chests, especially if boogie boarding. Doesn't hurt to take some shade with you if sitting out. Those are my Mission Beach tips.

Oops, one more. Rent or take bikes and bike the board walk. Goes all the way around the ocean side and then the bay side. It is the most fun thing we did at the beach. Stop somewhere along the way for a cocktail at sunset...
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:11 AM
ltt

rent a place on the beach side in the south end of mission. some individual homes have 2-3 units in them. i'd recommend that. you may find one that has the lower and upper units beach facing and then one in the back. this would be ideal cuase then you'd know your neighbors are all going to be respectful of the noise.
there are some great places to rent along there. my one fear would be to rent a lower unit and have 18 year old partiers above you. but with family above you, you wouldn't have this worry.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I think Mission Beach is a very fun place - and we enjoyed eating at the Green Flash which is on the beach in the Mission Beach area.
Went to Sea World and did the "Dolphin Encounter" where you swim with the dolphins - that was very fun!!