Reload this Page >

San Diego vacation in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:50 PM
John

Will travel to San Diego this August for 4 days. I will stay at Double tree SD Mission Valley. Questions:
1) Any good family dining suggestion nearby my hotel area. I am from New York, I want to try something califorian but not too expensive.
2) Any beach area suggestion that is fun for my 5 yr old son? I heard La Jolla shores is nice for kids.
3) I plan to visit SD zoo, legoland, seaworld, and 1 day in beach. Will this be too much for 4 days?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Melissa

1. Dining near your hotel is pretty much standard, american food. There is a Trophy's (sports theme) behind your hotel. They let kids draw on the tables there. Fashion Valley mall across the freeway has Pizzeria Uno's, Cheesecake Factory, CPK. Great mex place called Sombrero's and a family place, Pat and Oscars, also Gordon Biersch all in the area. All of these places are good, and avg prices. Just a little generic. For any kind of ethnic varitaion you would really need to get out of mission valley.
2. Mission Beach might be fun for him...there is a little amusement park there with a pretty slow roller coaster and other rides/games. Across from that is a great bayside park for kids.
3. Your schedule sounds great. Don't think you could do Sea World in less than a day.
Hope this helps.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:09 PM
John

Is there any other good dining area close by Mission valley area that I should try. I heard Old town is a good place to try Mexican food. Any suggestion. I will have a car so short commute is okay to me.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:01 PM
wendy

old town is a lot of fun - tons of mexican places, and a walk around the area is a nice evening. try casa de bandini - it's got the best rep. i also like casa de pico. they have enormous margaritas.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:15 PM
sd

the best area close to MV is Hillcrest just a couple of miles down 163 south. It's the "gay" area but there are many straight people such as myself and wife that love the restaurants. You're from NY so it shouldn't be new to you. In fact the best restaurant for kids is the Corvette Diner in Hillcrest Fourth and Washington.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
x

i find kids have more fun at the beach then at the "attractions". i'd recommend sea world or the zoo an lego land. then you have two days to relax. the zoo if very good but it is HUGE and you may have a rather grumpy kid by the end of the day (rent a stroller if he or she is small). sea world i really good. go to old town one night for dinner - lots of good restaurants to choose from - my favorite is casa de bandini.