San Diego Trip

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego Trip

Hi everyone,

I am about to head to San Diego for a trip with my two teens. We are flying in and staying in San Diego for two nights and then heading out for a cruise. My dilemma is that I have no idea where to stay. I wasn't planning on renting a car since we'll be there for such a short time, so I'm relying on taxi/Uber/Lyft/shuttle/?? Our major destinations are : airport, zoo, port. I'd also love to be able to be close to places we can explore in the evening and/or the beach. The problem is that I don't even have a neighborhood to look in...Gaslamp? Old Town? Downtown? none of the above?

If anyone has any suggestions to help me in my search, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've stayed at the Omni in the Gaslamp Quarter and really liked the hotel and the location.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 07:20 AM

The Trolley System will hit some of the sights you want to visit. https://www.sdmts.com/transit-services/trolley
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When are you coming? Today, it's raining heavily and is cold. Tomorrow also, although we're hoping it will just shower in the afternoon so that the Padres home opener can take place.

The Gaslamp and Embarcadero areas will be most convenient for your cruise departure and they're also close to the airport. The Gaslamp will be full of Padres fans all weekend and Aztecs basketball fans on Saturday.

You can Uber from your hotel to whatever you want to visit.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 04:30 PM

There are a range of hotels almost directly across from the cruise terminal. I'd probably pick one of those. Use Google Maps to locate them by name and maybe one will work for your date and bedding needs. Several sights such as the Midway and Little Italy are within walking distance, along with many restaurants and the Santa Fe Depot where you can use Route 215 to Balboa Park and the Zoo (or take an Uber/taxi)

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 29th, 2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When I used to travel to SD for work 4-6 times a year I usually stayed at the Wyndham (and before it was a Wyndham, when it was a Holiday Inn) basically across the road from the Cruise Terminal and the Maritime Museum. Great location/nice rooms