San Diego to Palm Springs for Dinah Shore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to look at the possibility of coming to San Diego (from the UK) in March/April next year. I hope to include a whale watching trip in Baja California (have posted on the Mexico Forum - but any info you may have on trips from San Diego would be most welcome!) and a visit over to Palm Springs for the Dinah Shore golf classic. Any tips on most scenic driving route from San Diego to Palm Springs and good places to stay there? I know that it will be madly busy during the Dinah Shore weekend (around 30 March 2012) so I want to start planning early! Thanks in advance
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time we made that SD-PS trip we headed east on I-10 (as I recall) as far as El Centro and then turned north so we could have a view of the Salton Sea (which we had never seen before).

Whole route was more or less the "typical" desert/valley floor sort of thng and nothing I would personally describe as "spectacular." However, there's just this "thing" about driving along in those sorts of places, especially early in the day, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Salton Sea? Nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM

There are so many places to stay in the PS area, from simple motels to luxe resorts, it would help if you give us a little more of an idea of what you'd be looking for -- $$$, modern vs. retro, big v. small, resort v. hotel/motel?
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We did a trip to PS November 2009. Our first time and enjoyed it very much. Stayed at the Palm Springs Rendezvous. Nice decor, mid-century retro, but a little out of the way.

The things we did:

Aerial Tram - great views and hiking

Short hike in Andreas Canyon - also great and interesting hike in Native California Palm grove.

DH golfed. I had a tour of the historical O'Donnell House. This was not cheap, but I love historical/archectectural tours. A 1920's era home built by one of the original developers of PS. Get more info from the Willows Palm Springs Inn.

We also did a little tour of our own of the historical motels near the downtown. We had a guide book called the "Historic Inns of Palm Springs", so just did our own thing. If we go back to PS, we would stay in this area since it is so handy to downtown PS, restaurants & shops.

We also headed east past Indio to the Oasis Date Garden for date shakes and date cake.

I can't remember any particularly great meal, but there are plenty of places to try out.

http://www.visitpalmsprings.com/

http://www.smallhotelsofpalmsprings.com/

Good luck.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM

This might be helpful on the route from SD to the desert:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...s-400161-2.cfm
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM

If you wanted to take a pretty drive in the back country of San Diego. The most scenic route and quite long also, would be to go out the 8 to Descanso and take the 79 through Pine Valley this will land you in the little town of Julian. It's popular because it's one of the oldest towns in San Diego and you can get great pie there. Stop for the pie.

Then go through Anza Borrego State Park (the 78). As Dukey mentioned driving through Borrego (the desert) is beautiful in the early morning. This drive will take you through the badlands and up to the Salton Sea. (which is pretty much a study of depression) that's okay, it won't be that long before you end up in Palm Springs.

Now, since it's March you might not want to do this. It's going to be cold. If it's snowing in the Laguna Mountains (which it may) there will be traffic going towards the mountains. San Diegans are nuts about driving an hour and a half to make a snow ball or two. The snow is often sparse and dirty by the time we get there and the snow ball is loaded with rocks. It's our way.

Also, if it's snowing in Julian it might be impossible to get through. So keep an alternate plan.

Remember too, that it may be pretty in the day time but it will be very very cold at night in March.

I think the best from San Diego to Palm Springs is the quickest route, the 15 north and then through Hemet.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM

I agree with Lsky on the 8 east to 79 north route through Julian, but would go via Idylwild. It is one of my favorite Calif backroads. Takes about 4 or 5 hours though.

if you want to go faster go up 15 through Hemet, the cut over at Banning.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll get my big map book out and start dreaming!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM

That's a better idea to go through Idyllwild. Much better than the Salton Sea but sometimes one just gets a curiosity about the Salton Sea.

With Icuy's way, you can see Borrego Springs which is a beautiful desert and still have a nice drive up to Palm Springs.

If you like nature or hiking, make some time in Borrego to hike out to Palm Canyon it's an easy hike or at least stop at the visitors center.

You may get lucky and see a Big horn sheep or two.

I'm not a desert rat but I can pass an enjoyable morning out there.