Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego to LAX. How long a drive on a Summer sunday ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 08:00 AM
Jane

We are considering staying in La Jolla San Diego at end of a forthnight in California. Would need to be in LAX at around 3.30 pm Sunday afternoon for flight at 6.30 . Any ideas on how long we should allow for the drive ?

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 08:21 AM
John

Hi, Jane,
Ought to be a couple of hours but traffic happens. Leave around 12:30 and if you're in the LAX area early head over to Manhattan Beach and walk on the beach or pier to kill some time, relaxing before a long flight.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 09:08 AM
Emily

If everything goes absolutely perfectly, it will take about 1 hour and 45 minutes. However, you never know about the LAX area, especially during the summer. I agree with the previous poster, schedule 2 to 3 hours for the trip, just to be on the safe side.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 01:26 PM
Lori

Leave at noon. Better safe then sorry. Traffic can be anything from living hell to smooth sailing all the way, but allow for slow downs, etc. Even on a Sunday traffic in the LA area can be bad.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:34 PM
Paul

When you reach Orange County there will be toll road that you can take. Take it. The freeways in Orange County can get very crowded especially on sunday afternoons. My experience is that most people do not take the toll road so your chances of reaching LA in a reasonable time are greatly increased. The toll road will end in long beach and you will be back on the 405 to LAX. From La Jolla it should take you about 2 hours to LAX but give yourself an additional hour for safety.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 11:19 AM
kam

It sounds like you're doing an international flight so I would leave at 12:30 maybe earlier, if you have to return a rental car. Were in LA a month ago and the traffic on Sunday was horrendous. Heard they are doing some construction on Sepulveda Blvd. which might be the cause.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:01 PM
tom

The drive NEVER goes "perfect", it can be completely unpredictable.

A sack of flour falling on the freeway, will shut down the road for hours whilst the Haz-Mat team figures out what the "white substance" is.

A fine summer day on a Saturday or Sunday is often the worst, as everyone is on the road heading to one place or another ... took me 1.5 hrs to drive 40 miles on the San Diego freeway last Saturday at noon, from Manhattan Beach to Costa Mesa (but only 40 minutes to return at 8:30 pm).

I'd say allow FOUR (4) hours ... "probably" you'll get there early, so spend some time in Manhattan or Hermosa Beach, like previous poster suggested.

If you miss an Int'l flight you're screwed ... the damn airlines will probably make you buy a full price fare on the next flight out.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 08:07 AM
Jane

Thanks to everyone who bothered to reply to this rather mundane question. Much appreciated local knowledge. Thanks