Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego to LA itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-to-la-itinerary-459227/)

Jackie44 Jul 12th, 2004 12:43 PM

San Diego to LA itinerary

Oops - posted this without a topic first - sorry for the repeat.
Message: Thanks to everyone who helped out back in April/May. We've got our (me,husband and 16 year old daughter)itinerary set:
Arrive San Diego Friday afternoon. Stay at the Avenida Inn/Motel Fri and Sat. night. Picked this for price and location to Coronado beach. Plan to hang around the beach and do Old Town (on Sat. night - yikes!).
Drive up to Hollywood on Sunday. Hope to stop in La Jolla for brunch/lunch. What are the line-ups like at Brockton Villa? Is any time better than another? Don't want to take too long as we'd like to do a driving tour of Beverly Hills/Santa Monica etc.

Staying at the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland (again for location) on Sun. and Mon. Have tickets for Ryan Seacrest both days but will only go one. Probably go on Monday then do the Walk of Fame and hang around the hotel. Maybe see King Arthur at El Capitan. Won't have to drive on Monday. Tuesday do Warner Bros. tour. Would love to go to Farmer's market but may be running out of time. Drive to Newport Beach.

Staying at the Hyatt in Newport Beach (location)for 3 nights. While there hope to do a day at Disney (this will be sacrificed if neccessary), take in an afternoon at US open surfing competition in Huntington Beach, and tour the Balboa Island and peninsula. Also shop at South Coast Plaza. Have tickets for Thoroughly Modern Millie at Orange County center for Performing Arts on Thur. night.

Flight back is out of San Diego at 9:45 pm.

Any eating suggestions for Hollywood and Highland and Newport Beach?

Looking at this in print, I think something will probably have to give.

Thanks again for all the help.

MaureenB Jul 12th, 2004 01:15 PM

Best place for fish, especially grilled lobster, is a funky restaurant in Newport Beach called The Crab Cooker. It gets crowded, with a line out the door if you get there during the evening rush, but they'll serve you great clam chowder while you wait. Nothing fancy, it's funky, but the fish is great and the place is thoroughly southern California. You'll enjoy it.

KimandMarc Jul 16th, 2004 02:51 PM

Crab Cooker is definitely a great place for seafood. Crab Shack is also nice for its fun atmosphere and experience. Oh and the food is yummy too! It's right on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). It can get crowded at times though and parking never looks easy around there. Have fun!

easytraveler Jul 16th, 2004 03:44 PM

Hollywood and Highland is very close to one of my favorite restaurants in the LA area:

Yamashiro Restaurant on Sycamore. It has a website.

Dinner only. Kinda expensive. You could go for a before/after dinner drink and just take in the scenery. You'll get the breathtaking view of LA that only the movie stars and other deep-pocket, house-up-on-the-hilltop people get.

Once, when I was up there, I heard a visitor pointing out to his friends - "there's Madonna's house" "there's so-and-so house", and on and on. I thought that was better than taking the bus tour of the stars' homes!!!

Oh, yeah! Good food too! Kinda asian-fusion, but palatable.

clarkgriswold Jul 16th, 2004 04:16 PM

Skooby's hot dogs (across from the Renaissance and up the street a bit) has GREAT french fries! Haul some up to your hotel room and pig out! Don't forget the ketchup!

clarkgriswold Jul 16th, 2004 04:19 PM

On Monday from the Renaissance you could take a quick metro subway ride up to Universal. You don't have to do the tour to enjoy the shops and restaurants outside at Citywalk. Just exit the metro at Universal Station and follow the crowds up the hill(shuttle tram).

Jackie44 Jul 17th, 2004 04:10 AM

Thanks everyone - really helpful, especially in LA since we had nothing on our list foodwise. I looked up the Crab cooker and it looks great. Not long now (Friday).

southerngirl Aug 2nd, 2004 04:07 PM

Please post your trip report. I'm headed to LA/San Diego in September, also staying at the Hollywood Renaissance. Would love your feedback, thanks.

Barbara Aug 2nd, 2004 05:31 PM

southerngirl, Jackie44 has posted 3 parts of her trip report already. If you click on her name, they will come up on the left.