Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego/Tijuana Alone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-tijuana-alone-229971/)

Leslie Jun 10th, 2002 09:44 PM

San Diego/Tijuana Alone?

I am a signle female and will be in San Diego in July on business. Is it safe for me to go to Tijuana for the day alone? What about walking around downtown at night (my hotel is downtown)?

ellen g Jun 11th, 2002 04:05 AM

<BR>First question: NO.<BR><BR>Second question: Yes.<BR><BR>Been there done that alone on business, too. Enjoy San Diego, its a slice of heaven!

wrong Jun 11th, 2002 05:46 AM

Safety is not an issue if you are smart and stay with the throngs of people. The 2 hour wait coming back my stifle your desire to go to Tijuana.

klam Jun 11th, 2002 05:50 AM

We did that day trip and regretted it. It's strictly a tacky tourist place, and quite depressing. You will want to leave after half an hour. <BR><BR>Don't bother with Tijuana, enjoy gorgeous SD instead. JMHO.

Mk Jun 11th, 2002 06:22 AM

Don't forget that the federales can arrest you based on false pretenses and demand a bribe.

c Jun 11th, 2002 06:22 AM

there are sections of downtown san diego that i wouldn't waunder around but they will be obvious to you. the gaslamp quarter is downtown and that is always hopping. also, seaport village is another busy area. go to the top of the hyatt for a drink one day for the views.<BR>i'd say you would be safe going to tj alone. you can take the trolley down from downtown to the border and walk across. i don't think the wait returning is quite so long on foot. if you want to say you were in mexico then go for it (don't forget proper i.d.). however, i agree with above posts that it wasn't a pleasant experience for me. it was dirty, packed with people and constantly getting hounded by adults that want you to buy things or little children pulling at your pants to give them money or buy their "chicklets". i love mexico and use to go down to rosarito/peurto neuavo quite often for dinner but tj is no place i would return to. i'm assuming that you are just going to the tourist areas. it is a city and there are other things to see (bull ring, museum, etc.) but wouldn't recommend doing too much exploring since you are alone.<BR>have fun. sd is a great city. take the ferry from downtown to coronado one day.

kkj Jun 11th, 2002 07:21 AM

If you feel uncomfortable going to Tijuana alone, than take a tour that goes there. That way you won't be alone.

Brah Jun 11th, 2002 02:55 PM

Unless you are a savvy traveler to third world countries and can speak Spanish fluently and can take care of yourself physically i would not attempt it. And if you are a savvy third world traveler TJ will disappoint you big time.

Howitzer Jun 11th, 2002 06:49 PM

leslie..some of the most fascinating places on earth are border towns on whatever continent they are. they are often not the most pretty or seemingly inviting but they are what travel is all about to me..experiencing something new and foreign. You will see little old ladys going there for a day trip from San Diego..walk in back of them if you feel threatened