Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego Restaurants and Trolley Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-restaurants-and-trolley-questions-287156/)

caribcarol Jan 18th, 2008 01:24 PM

San Diego Restaurants and Trolley Questions

Restaurant suggestions in Little Italy, please. Nothing fancy, just a good 'ol plate of spaghetti and meatballs and thin crust pizza.

Restaurant suggestions w/i walking distance of the Gaslamp Marriott; again, nothing fancy. We enjoy Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean....pretty much all ethnic foods. [both lunch and dinner]

Can we take the Trolley from Gaslamp district to Little Italy? Couldn't quite tell from their website.

Thank you.

kmpordagee Jan 18th, 2008 03:47 PM

For basic Italian I would try Filippi's or Mona Lisa. (I prefer Mona Lisa but it's not in the center of Little Italy). Both are good, basic italian. For something a little more special, we love Trattoria Fantastica.

I work in Little Italy and don't head over to the Gaslamp very often so I'll let someone else answer those questions.

caribcarol Jan 18th, 2008 04:25 PM

Thank you, kmpordagee.

Anyone else?

MorganRey Jan 18th, 2008 04:52 PM

Yes you can take the Orange GILLESPIE trolley from Gaslamp district to Little Italy but there would still be a bit of hoofing involved so I don't know how you feel about that.

What my wife and I have done is walk from Gaslamp to Little Italy while it was still light out. It is a pretty good walk. It took awhile. Then we took a taxi cab back to Gaslamp after dinner when it was dark.

We have walked into homeless camps at night in San Diego and my wife was not too keen on it. That is why I recommend a taxi cab for the ride home.

itsv Jan 18th, 2008 11:26 PM

This question has been answered a lot lately so if you put "San Diego Gaslamp" in the search section of talk, it should bring that research up for you. I am on my son's computer and can't find his edit keys or else I would have copied those links for you. In particular there is a long report on San Diego restaturants that last had an entry Jan. 16. It was very through and had many good gaslamp sources in it.

Terryl Garve writes a restaurant review column in San Diego Metro Magazine, link is sandiegometro.com. Her focus is downtown. Also check out the AliceQ.Foodie Blog (again link is in the recent mosts). She just took a bunch of people on food tours of Little Italy and Gaslamp for the Fancy Food Convention and she has a fabulous writeup.

Hope that is helpful.

caribcarol Jan 23rd, 2008 08:43 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Really appreciate it.

DebitNM May 2nd, 2009 03:53 PM

bookmarking

CarinGalletta May 2nd, 2009 04:23 PM

Felippi's is awesome.

ksucat May 2nd, 2009 05:01 PM

Filippi's in Little Italy is average but good for spaghetti and meatballs and you have to request the thin style since they don't do it that way..
Mona Lisa is good Italian too..
Basic in the Gaslamp is one of the best thin crust pizza ever!
Best happy hour at the Omni Hotel next to Petco Park at McCormicks and Schmicks..half pound cheeseburger with fries for $3.

www.littleitalysd.com
www.barbasic.com
www.gaslamp.org