Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego Restaurants? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-restaurants-452362/)

anita_t Jun 23rd, 2004 05:24 AM

San Diego Restaurants?

Would anyone suggest a great seafood restaurant on the beach in or near San Diego? We would like to make a reservation as we will be visiting July 4th weekend. Thank you!

Underhill Jun 23rd, 2004 07:41 AM

We always go to Anthony's Grotto, which is right on the bay and near the Star of India sailing ship. Reserve a window table if you can!

Heavens Jun 23rd, 2004 08:26 AM

These are my two favorites, both are more for locals than tourist spots.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach on Cass and Turquoise. Awesome fish, simple preparations, fair prices, lots of selection.

The Third Corner in Point Loma, I think, across the street from Thee Bungalow. Very nice fish selections and preparations, fair prices, awesome wine list with excellent prices.

Those are my favorite two restaurants in SD right now. They just have great food, not views. You can eat dinner and then take a stroll on the boardwalk and get the view.

scurry Jun 24th, 2004 07:21 AM

I like this place in Pacific Beach:

http://www.worldfamous.signonsandiego.com/

kayla Jun 26th, 2004 01:43 PM

The Marine Room in La jolla, right on the beach- fine dining, romantic. Expensive, parking on the road or valet parking.

The Beach House in Cardiff by the Sea is right on the shores; they have the sun set specials(before 6PM). Valet parking only. http://www.thebeachhouse.com/c_sunset.htm

Reservation recommended @ both places.

I agreed w/ Heaven's recommendation; the Fishery has fresh seafood; no frills and not on the beach.

Heavens Jun 27th, 2004 08:32 AM

Oh, I forgot, Jakes in Del Mar is on the beach and they have wonderful fish. Very nice place. But make reservations.

Barbara Jun 27th, 2004 09:42 AM

And next to Jake's, in Del Mar, is the Poseidon. It was recently completely refurbished. Their outside patio is right next to the beach and is open air.

I prefer the food at Jake's, though.

Heavens Jun 27th, 2004 12:29 PM

Hi Barbara again. Have you tried the Posieden since they remodeled? We stayed at the Del Mar Motel next door last December and they were right in the middle of construction. I had always heard that the food was so-so. Wonder if the "new" place has improved the food? Any news there?

kopp Jun 27th, 2004 01:09 PM

Hi anita! I just got back a couple days ago from visiting San Diego. Had a nice dinner at Anthony's Seafood Grotto on Harbor Drive. It's a real popular place, great seats by the window (make sure to ask for one), the food is average but the area is terrific. The wait gets quite long at dinner, but you can call the day ahead and put your name on their waitlist. We only had a 5-minute wait, when others had been there over 30. Also, go to their website and print a couple copies of their coupon for free clam chowder. Yummy!

There's also Anthony's Fishmarket just a 1/4 mile walk away, more upscale.

The Star of India (old ship) is next to it, but we REALLY enjoyed touring the new USS Midway aircraft carrier (only a hundred yards from Anthony's). If anyone in your party loves anything having to do with the Navy, they'll love this.

Embassy Suites and Seaport Village is right across the street, as is the trolly to just about anywhere you want to go.

Happy travels!!

Jocelyn_P Jun 27th, 2004 01:17 PM

Minor correction to kopp's post:

It's The Fish Market that's between Anthony's and Seaport Village. They are not affiliated with Anthony's. We much prefer the Fish Market (great food AND great view), but they do not take reservations.

Barbara Jun 27th, 2004 08:58 PM

Hi Heavens, I had lunch at Poseidon last Tuesday. We sat outside, and it was a cool/chilly day. The service was VERY bad, but in fairness, I think that was just our server. However, nobody apologized for it. We arrived just before noon, ordered, our soup (it was cold, remember!) arrived, and our main courses didn't come for another forty-fifty minutes or more. Other people arrived, ordered, ate and left before we got our food.

The redo is quite nice, but Jakes is much, much better. The only reason to go to Poseideon, IMO, would be to sit outside on a hot day as Jake's is all inside.

Soda1 Jun 28th, 2004 04:39 AM

Another vote for Anthony's!

sfowler Jun 28th, 2004 04:53 AM

How about Peohe's On Coronado Island near the ferry with a great skyline view of SD and the occasional passing destroyer! The food was quite good.

kopp Jun 28th, 2004 01:20 PM

You're absolutely right, Jocelyn. The Fishmarket is NOT connected to Anthony's. My mistake.

The more upscale restaurant associated with Anthony's Seafood Grotto is the Star of the Sea, which is actually adjacent to the Grotto.

For all of Anthony's restaurant locations in that area, visit their website at gofishanthonys.com. It will give you the lo-down if you're interested.

Bon appetit!!